Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
He looks like a very talented rookie. Can look very impressive and very green within the same shift.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. I thought he looked great for his first stint as a young rookie on a horrible team. Surpassed my expectations.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
When I watch him play, it does not scream center in the NHL Also I would send him back down as we have too many NHL players sitting as it is now.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Dallas Eakins on scratching Trevor Zegras: "That wasn't because of bad play or anything. Z has played just fine. He showed some real good promise. It was a back-to-back game against a very good team at high altitude and we wanted a more veteran presence there. And that is all it was... You'll be seeing Z lots, lots here in the future."

This is what Eakins said after the game last night.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
So now are we going to start scratching him because he's approaching of burning a year off of his ELC? Everyone can see he's not ready, there's flashes of brilliance, but also flashes of a 19 year old kid. Also do we still want him to be a center? if so shouldn't he be playing that position with the Gulls?

It's odd that we're starting him off at wing. Every other C prospect selected in the first round has started at center in the AHL and NHL with Steel and Lundestrom. I do get because of his lack of mass, Zegras is safer to start at wing. As years go by and he add more mass, then he might transition to center.

On a tangent, football players in college have to stay at least three years in college and that works out physically for the players. Some players need an extra year or two if they play in the trenches. They're twigs at 17 years old, but you do see jumps in mass after three years. The NFL is the only program that I don't mind the 3-year wait restriction because there's an actual physicality reasoning behind it that will help those who go to the NFL stay in the NFL a bit longer physically in general.

Zegras was able to dominate the WJC's as a winger, so we don't necessarily need him to be a center. His center would need to be a grinding center with a high level playmaking ability. I do not know if we have that type of center in our system right now. The closest might be Groulx. Lundy is still developing his scoring prowess and does the dirty work, but Rakell is the playmaker on the line of Comtois-Lundy-Rakell. That line had defined roles that each player intuitively knows thier part. Zegras is a playmaker, and that kinda messes up the chemistry for Zegras-Lundy-Rakell. Also, Comtois is far more aggressive on the boards and behind the boards, which Zegras is not yet there.

Zegras' flashes of brilliance hasn't helped the Ducks win games, to which he was a part of the 9-game skid because he played in 6 of those games. We won a game last night without Zegras. Does Zegras push the needle then? No. 1 point in 6 games isn't the coming out party I expected out of Zegras and we need to have that high a standard for him.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Question for anyone that knows the rules, will next year still count as a "rookie" season in regards to games played. Just for records and awards like the calder and what not. Mostly curious if playing only half this season is going to mark him with "poor rookie numbers" for when people value him.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Question for anyone that knows the rules, will next year still count as a "rookie" season in regards to games played. Just for records and awards like the calder and what not. Mostly curious if playing only half this season is going to mark him with "poor rookie numbers" for when people value him.

He needs to play less than 25 games to qualify as a rookie again next season. That’s the threshold for the Calder.

Reactions: MCB

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Guess they want the 1st year of entry contract to kick in.

I’ve no real issue with burning the first year of his ELC (so long as we don’t burn that year of UFA which I believe is 40 games) but I have an issue that he’s flat out not earned his spot in the lineup and while he shows flashes of brilliance he shouldn’t be in the NHL right now.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve no real issue with burning the first year of his ELC (so long as we don’t burn that year of UFA which I believe is 40 games) but I have an issue that he’s flat out not earned his spot in the lineup and while he shows flashes of brilliance he shouldn’t be in the NHL right now.

Yeah I agree, but now has to learn on the NHL level. Hope this will be a good move, and doesn’t lose that confidence he has. He should have several more points than 1 in 6 games, one was even taken away, and felt he earned it. Oh well that’s how its been in Anaheim.

I am curious with Bob’s comments about Drysdale. Looks like he might make his NHL debut sooner than later. Bob is trying to rush these kids to save face, and it’s not good, but honestly, I have a lot of faith in Zegras and Drysdale to rise up to the challenge.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yeah I agree, but now has to learn on the NHL level. Hope this will be a good move, and doesn’t lose that confidence he has. He should have several more points than 1 in 6 games, one was even taken away, and felt he earned it. Oh well that’s how its been in Anaheim.

I am curious with Bob’s comments about Drysdale. Looks like he might make his NHL debut sooner than later. Bob is trying to rush these kids to save face, and it’s not good, but honestly, I have a lot of faith in Zegras and Drysdale to rise up to the challenge.

Is he, though? There were many who couldn't believe Zegras even played an AHL game and he did tremendously down there. Even though the production isn't there yet I don't think he looks at all out of place. Drysdale has also done great, was just rookie of the month, and they're fully acknowledging he's going back to Erie.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I have zero problem with challenging guys to higher levels. The ones who are worth worrying about rise to the occasion eventually.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
He definitely needs to get stronger but he is an effective player in the NHL. He is just a fraction of what he will become once he adapts and gets bigger and stronger.

One benefit of playing in the NHL is he has some more time to develop chemistry with linemates.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agreed. Amazing job of sending misinformation to buy space and time and patiently holding onto the puck while finding the trailing fowler. Very few nhlers would make a play like that.

Even that set up to Henrique for the GW, waited for Doughty to get down and waited for an opening to pass. Was brilliant, that goal was 95% him. Sorry Rico. Lol.

Anyway, glad he was able to experience his 1st team win and being a big part of the GW goal. It wasn’t a goal but it was close enough to it. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad