Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
What’s with everyone dumping on Deslauriers all the sudden? He plays his role decently enough compared to the rest of the underperforming roster.
Hes been fine, it's a matter of trying to manufacture more goal scoring in the lineup.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
What’s with everyone dumping on Deslauriers all the sudden? He plays his role decently enough compared to the rest of the underperforming roster.
I agree with you. Des is the only one on the team that got some fight in him. The rest of the team looks like a bunch of quitters, especially rakell

Reactions: McDonald19

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Thats fair, but Deslauriers has a surprisingly lethal wrist shot and I doubt someone like Heinen is going to put the puck in the net in limited 4th line minutes.
It's a cumulative thing though, and that fourth line would play more than the one we have had out there.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
It's a cumulative thing though, and that fourth line would play more than the one we have had out there.

Maybe, but on the other hand if you roll four lines you are taking ice time away from the creative players (Zegras, Getzlaf, Comtois, Terry, Rakell) on the other three lines.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Trevor Zegras' NHL debut: What we learned about how the Ducks can let him succeed

Stephens chronicled every shift with quotes from players and the coaching staff. Eakins reiterated that his shifts were designed to put him in the best possible position to succeed and the times he was shifted for were purely cases of trying to protect him and had nothing to do with his play.

I'm sure he will be put in more situations every game as he learns.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Trevor Zegras' NHL debut: What we learned about how the Ducks can let him succeed

Stephens chronicled every shift with quotes from players and the coaching staff. Eakins reiterated that his shifts were designed to put him in the best possible position to succeed and the times he was shifted for were purely cases of trying to protect him and had nothing to do with his play.

I'm sure he will be put in more situations every game as he learns.
This is ostensibly what people want with our blue chippers, that the org take great care with them. I don't think the outrage on his behalf at his usage, or complaining that his line mates are somehow beneath him, is at all warranted.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
He was the best Duck on the ice tonight. He took a struggling Steel and Silf and they played in the offensive zone all night, until Eakins benched Zegras in third for Grant and they gave up with game tying goal.

I dont see how people aren't seeing how good this guy already is only 2 games in.

Oct 18, 2011
He was the best Duck on the ice tonight. He took a struggling Steel and Silf and they played in the offensive zone all night, until Eakins benched Zegras in third for Grant and they gave up with game tying goal.

I dont see how people aren't seeing how good this guy already is only 2 games in.
Fair points but I don't want him around this tirefire, same with Lundy and even Mahura who I have advocated staying in the lineup......put them in a positive environment and let them develop, and the Gulls are that place.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Fair points but I don't want him around this tirefire, same with Lundy and even Mahura who I have advocated staying in the lineup......put them in a positive environment and let them develop, and the Gulls are that place.
I see that point. I'm 100% all for what is better for his long term development. In San Diego he builds confidence and doesn't have to deal with the toxicity of a bottom feeder losing environment. At the same time though the Gulls don't have the skill to keep up with him. I've watched a bunch of Gulls games and guys struggle to make clean passes, receive passes, get open, control the puck in the offensive zone. The game is constantly in transition because teams don't have the skill to setup plays and execute. The NHL also gives Zegras time to adapt to the size and physicality.

I'm not advocating either way to be clear. I'm a huge believer in building confidence in young players but I just see pros and cons.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Maybe, but on the other hand if you roll four lines you are taking ice time away from the creative players (Zegras, Getzlaf, Comtois, Terry, Rakell) on the other three lines.
They pretty much are already doing this. Only Rakell is at 2nd line minutes, excluding Agozzino’s 1 game, and there are twelve players clustered between 11:32 (Grant) and 14:05 ESTOI. 13 players are between 19.5 and 22.9 shifts/game.

NHL Stats

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Zegras just posted a cool video on his Instagram

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
I see that point. I'm 100% all for what is better for his long term development. In San Diego he builds confidence and doesn't have to deal with the toxicity of a bottom feeder losing environment. At the same time though the Gulls don't have the skill to keep up with him. I've watched a bunch of Gulls games and guys struggle to make clean passes, receive passes, get open, control the puck in the offensive zone. The game is constantly in transition because teams don't have the skill to setup plays and execute. The NHL also gives Zegras time to adapt to the size and physicality.

I'm not advocating either way to be clear. I'm a huge believer in building confidence in young players but I just see pros and cons.
Please. Scoring goals against kindergarteners or scoring goals against college kids when you are 12. You get much more confidance beating the big boys and hes shown he can

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota

I just ... don't see what you're seeing. I see the potential, sure. I saw him make a couple of good but unspectacular passes (the one to Steel on the PP wasn't one of them. It was in his feet and never had a chance to connect), he had that nice play where he kept the puck in the zone on the power play in mid-air.

Most of the time he was a non-factor. He's obviously going to be completely overmatched physically and he didn't show much interest in trying to beat guys with his skating. He just floated around in soft areas and hoped the puck came to him, and then made a quick pass when it did.

Like I said, potential there? Absolutely. Maybe by next game he gains some confidence and starts doing more impactful things. But so far, non-entity during the flow of play.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad