Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
There are plenty of top end teams that call up top prospects lol

The Avs literally just did that with Byram.

The game has changed a lot the last 15 years. It just isn’t as rare for a player to make his debut before 20 as it used to be now

I meant in an usual season you would not draft in the top 10 if you're a top end team. Not the call up.

Reactions: AngelDuck
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Looks great in the offensive zone with the puck on his stick when he has space. Other than that, he has a lot to work on and would be better off working on his deficiencies in a developmental league.

There's some stuff I'm not sure he can work on much more at the AHL level, like boardwork in the defensive zone. I dunno, I don't have any strong opinions on it yet, although like someone else pointed out last night if a few things bounce differently and this might not be much of a discussion.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Honestly, I thought he was fine. Made some good quick passes to create chances and wasn't a defensive liability.

Not amazing, but showed he could hang. Instantly made the PP more dangerous, both with zone entries and his puck control and passing.

Looks great in the offensive zone with the puck on his stick when he has space. Other than that, he has a lot to work on and would be better off working on his deficiencies in a developmental league.

I think he's talented enough to collect points without actually being an impact player, which is not where I'd want him to end up. Maybe the only way he improves is to stay with the Ducks and learn how to do it, I dunno. He'd didn't seem daunted or anything.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A 3 point night was nearly in his grasp. 2 great set ups to Rakell, who couldn't even hit water now if he fell out of a boat. He then later almost tied the game in the 3rd and it was a good shot. He looks like he can skate with the NHL level, just needs to bulk up so can be more effective on those board battles. Don't know what else the AHL can do for him. If he struggles then send him down, he was not struggling last night, and immediately looked dangerous and was not a defense liability even made some plays to get the puck out of their own zone.

Now they need to make a decision with Drysdale, who I thought was more NHL ready than Z. Anything to get Shattenkirk less mins is a plus. lol. If Eakins doesn't see how Shattenkirk's overkill in mins is hurting this team he needs to be fired. He was out-classed and out-coached last night.

Getting back to Zegras, give him like 5 games, including against some tougher competition like Vegas and St. Louis which is coming up on the schedule, make an assessment and then send him down if needed or keep him up if he has really looked good. Playoffs are done, this season is a glorified pre-season to me, try and be more competitive and at least score some more goals and develop guys like Comtois, Terry, Steel, Zegras, and etc. Hopefully they all keep making strides in the right direction. Don't want to burn off a year for Zegras but if he is looking great on the NHL level, and really delivering, don't want to mess with that by sending him down.

Last edited:

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
It would be nice if the Ducks had a couple more quality wingers for xegras to play with. He was the best player on his line which is not a good thing. The comyois, rakell, lundestrom has some chemistry so I can see why they are keeping them together but Steel has been garbage and we don't have any other high quality wingers for that line. Hopefully Steel can turn it up and support zegras. If he can't just put zegras with getzlaf.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I don't understand this language but I do understand arrows... :laugh:

Reactions: Kalv

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
There's some stuff I'm not sure he can work on much more at the AHL level, like boardwork in the defensive zone. I dunno, I don't have any strong opinions on it yet, although like someone else pointed out last night if a few things bounce differently and this might not be much of a discussion.

I think he's talented enough to collect points without actually being an impact player, which is not where I'd want him to end up. Maybe the only way he improves is to stay with the Ducks and learn how to do it, I dunno. He'd didn't seem daunted or anything.

I have the same opinion as Burrito, I don't doubt that he can accumulate points right now, especially on the powerplay but I don't see him being a true impact player. I think he'd be better served being the man in SD and learning how to dominate in all situations, rather than relying on his elite skill on the PP and being heavily sheltered.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He needs a sniper on his line and a center that’s a good puck possession player. Right now he doesn’t have either. Notice how the Hawks have Debrincat for Kane to play with. I’m not saying Zegras is Kane right now, not even close to that, but we have to find him a right winger that can snipe at some point.

I think Eakins needs to shake up the lines. I understand Comtois-Lundy-Rakell has been good, but we’re on a 4 game losing streak, try something else

Zegras-Getzlaf-Rakell
Comtois-Lundestrom-Terry
Jones-Steel-Silfverberg
Heinen-Grant-Backes

I realize Rakell isn’t a great sniper right now but maybe that would get him going.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
He needs a sniper on his line and a center that’s a good puck possession player. Right now he doesn’t have either. Notice how the Hawks have Debrincat for Kane to play with. I’m not saying Zegras is Kane right now, not even close to that, but we have to find him a right winger that can snipe at some point
I still think Rakell can work with him, he just needs to break this streak he's in right now.

Reactions: AngelDuck

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
He needs a sniper on his line and a center that’s a good puck possession player. Right now he doesn’t have either. Notice how the Hawks have Debrincat for Kane to play with. I’m not saying Zegras is Kane right now, not even close to that, but we have to find him a right winger that can snipe at some point.

I think Eakins needs to shake up the lines. I understand Comtois-Lundy-Rakell has been good, but we’re on a 4 game losing streak, try something else

Zegras-Getzlaf-Rakell
Comtois-Lundestrom-Terry
Jones-Steel-Silfverberg
Heinen-Grant-Backes

Heinen would be pretty useless with Grant and Backes. I’d get Deslauriers in there for physicality. Otherwise those lines look pretty good.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Deslauriers has been pretty useless. He didn't do shit last night and it was the most physical game we have had all season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
A 3 point night was nearly in his grasp. 2 great set ups to Rakell, who couldn't even hit water now if he fell out of a boat. He then later almost tied the game in the 3rd and it was a good shot.

This could be said for a number of current Ducks in several games, though. We've had plenty of chances and some great chances, but the puck isn't going in. We aren't that lucky enough to get more puck luck like the Coyotes got with their third goal last night. I thought the puck got kicked in, but the guy was also trying to stop and the puck gets redirected in for a goal. I think we do have two finishers in Rakell and Comtois, but Rakell is just a tad bit off. We have a reluctant finisher in Silf, but it seems as though he's expending a lot of energy being the defensive heavy on his line this year.

Zegras' first NHL game is similar to his AHL game. You see the offensive mind and instinct, but its in spurts. Nothing dominating and mostly a wallflower, but does have spurts. He's like the opposite of Jones such that Jones can be everywhere on the ice as a bull, but he really does lack that offensive instinct to put himself into a great use. This team is lacking something. Rico hasn't done much and maybe Zegras could do more in that capacity... just didn't think he'd be centered by Steel, though.

After watching is post-game interview, he still looks rail thin despite adding more mass this past summer.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Deslauriers has been pretty useless. He didn't do shit last night and it was the most physical game we have had all season.

He had some conversations. The Coyotes toughest two players picked on Jones and Grant instead.

Are we at the point where we are debating which hockey player is more useless Deslauriers or Heinen?

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Roll a 4th line of Heinen-Henrique-Milano, maybe Backes in for Henrique. We struggle with goals and Milano looked good before getting hurt. No reason to go with a subpar grinding 4th line when we can't score goals.

Jones-Getzlaf-Terry
Rakell-Lundestrom-Comtois
Zegras-Steel-Silf
Heinen-Henrique-Milano
Backes/Grant

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Roll a 4th line of Heinen-Henrique-Milano, maybe Backes in for Henrique. We struggle with goals and Milano looked good before getting hurt. No reason to go with a subpar grinding 4th line when we can't score goals.

Jones-Getzlaf-Terry
Rakell-Lundestrom-Comtois
Zegras-Steel-Silf
Heinen-Henrique-Milano
Backes/Grant

What’s with everyone dumping on Deslauriers all the sudden? He plays his role decently enough compared to the rest of the underperforming roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad