Prospect Info: With the 88th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Joey Keane

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
From pretty much EVERYONE else this would’ve read as a sarcastic post.
Yeah, agreed. I felt that way before he had his chances in other organizations, but at this point it's not just AV. I still think he looked really solid during that run with Yandle, not sure what happened the the fell off so badly after.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, agreed. I felt that way before he had his chances in other organizations, but at this point it's not just AV. I still think he looked really solid during that run with Yandle, not sure what happened the the fell off so badly after.

In one word - consistently.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

He needed to play, and to play a lot. He got their in the AHL and then that year when he played with Yandle. But then missing playing time like he did for almost a full season just did him in it seems like.

Reactions: haveandare

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

I think it was the game against the Islanders, I was actually at that game sitting front row right next to the Rangers' penalty box, McIlrath got called for 3 minors I think that game, on one hand I was happy to see him up close because he was one of my favorite players at the time and I was really hoping for him to succeed, but I had this sinking feeling that AV wasn't going to let those penalties slide and that it could have been pretty much the end of his career. I think we made a big mistake though by not playing him more or at least converting him into a Tom Wilson type forward.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think we made a big mistake though by not playing him more or at least converting him into a Tom Wilson type forward.
I hate to “appeal to authority” and say “well, the pros didn’t do try him at forward for a reason”. But I do have the same thought. Particularly, like you say here. Why not let a defender try playing forward? Might be easier and fit his skills better.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So, what are everybody's thoughts on Joey Keane? Looks like a sleeper pick to me.

I like that the Rangers go for overagers later in the draft. Not all of them will work out. Lakatos and Bernhardt look to be duds, but guys like Virta, Pajuniemi and Hughes definitely have the potential to grow into solid bottom 6 / bottom pair guys.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
So, what are everybody's thoughts on Joey Keane? Looks like a sleeper pick to me.
His underlying offensive metrics are elite. The question for me is if he's going to be able to play defense at the professional level.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
His underlying offensive metrics are elite. The question for me is if he's going to be able to play defense at the professional level.

These were the results of the OHL coaches poll this season:

Best Defensive Defenceman:
Eastern Conference:

1. Joey Keane, Barrie Colts (17)
2. Jacob Moverare, Mississauga Steelheads (16) – finished third in 2016-17
3. Riley Stillman, Hamilton Bulldogs (15)
3. Riley Bruce, North Bay Battalion (15)

Western Conference:
1. Conor Timmins, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (43)
2. Keaton Middleton, Saginaw Spirit (14)
3. Connor Hall, Kitchener Rangers (10)

So those guys seem to think so

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
love what i've read about him so far...would still love to know why he didn't get drafted last year. but we badly need RHD depth in the system so loving seeing the positives about him. hopefully he makes the WJC roster

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
love what i've read about him so far...would still love to know why he didn't get drafted last year. but we badly need RHD depth in the system so loving seeing the positives about him. hopefully he makes the WJC roster
From what I can gather, he moved from USHL to the OHL and then had a terrible season and bounced back this past season

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Even if that happens, which odds are it won't, it doesn't make it the right pick at that spot.

If he's a star, which would seem to be shorthand for all-star level starting goaltender, I'll happily take that in a 2nd round pick. What if Lindblom is a star and Shestyorkin is just a solid starter? Give me the star player please.

I'm not saying it was the right pick at this moment, but if we're evaluating it based on the assumption that he becomes a star player then it is absolutely 100% the right pick at that spot. It's the 2nd round. This isn't the NFL, there's still a huge drop off in terms of talent and projectability in the 2nd round of the NHL draft. At that point everyone has flaws. If you get a star goaltender in that round versus a middle six forward or OK middle pairing defenseman, that's a win.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Very little COULD happen to make that anything other than a brainfart pick.

He'd have to become a HOF goalie for people to say it was the correct call.

That's how wild it was lol

If he ended up being a good starter and all the rest of the Rangers goalie prospects turned out to be not as good, it'd be a good pick.

Some of you are overthinking or overanalzying this. I don't really think it was a great spot to pick a goalie but to act like he has to become a generational talent to make it a good pick is insane

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
If he ended up being a good starter and all the rest of the Rangers goalie prospects turned out to be not as good, it'd be a good pick.

Some of you are overthinking or overanalzying this. I don't really think it was a great spot to pick a goalie but to act like he has to become a generational talent to make it a good pick is insane
Yes true... but he still could've been had later. That's the problem.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I personally dont' think you got back and nitpick where you chose a star level starting goaltender as long it's not like top 10 or something

e: again, for the sake or argument operating under the scenario where he becomes that, not that I'm saying he will be that

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

It is slight hyperbole, but it doesn't change the fact that taking a goalie with your 39 is a stupid idea when you consider what was available. You got Hank, Georgiev, Shesterkin, and Huska all in the pipeline. The middle 2 are on their way to become legitimate starters.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It is slight hyperbole, but it doesn't change the fact that taking a goalie with your 39 is a stupid idea when you consider what was available. You got Hank, Georgiev, Shesterkin, and Huska all in the pipeline. The middle 2 are on their way to become legitimate starters.

What exactly was available though? We don't even know at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad