Prospect Info: With the 88th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Joey Keane

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This guy is going to be Inferno's favorite player ever.

Hey guys,

Just to follow-up on my scouting report, I made a little video breaking down his game if it's of interest...

Thanks for sharing.

Love the other work on your page too. Glad I finally found someone who dislikes Bouchard as much as I do LOL.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Cool that he got invited,but we all know with the US politics that unless he completely blows away everyone as a stud, they won't pick him for the team. They like to reinforce to the younger players that if you want to play for team USA you play and stay in the US(aside for the select few superstars).

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Cool that he got invited,but we all know with the US politics that unless he completely blows away everyone as a stud, they won't pick him for the team. They like to reinforce to the younger players that if you want to play for team USA you play and stay in the US(aside for the select few superstars).
I still don’t think they’re biased against CHL players

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
was there a reason he didn't get drafted last year? just a late bloomer?

games played doesn't indicate an injury and it just seems strange that no one took a chance on a kid that skates that well

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am getting pretty high on Keane. I just thought he was so outstanding in rookie camp, chalked that up on him being in mid season form, but now I am starting to wonder, maybe he is that good??

This is what I wrote:
Nah, I don’t think so. This camp is what it is. It’s a 5 day camp in late June. Some guys haven’t been on skates since April, most players are junior players but many are coming from very different backgrounds and so forth. If you haven’t skated for two months, and then hit the ice and goes hard for 4-5 days, your legs will just go bum.

As a result, you can have a Joey Keane out there — who obviously has been skating right up to camp — looking twice as explosive as the next guy and you can have someone like Michael Lindqvist who really had no skating legs whatsoever in Day 4 at least.

We are keeping as many of these kids as we can in NY this summer, I think that is great. Get everyone ready for camp.

I have a few thoughts but will need to watch the scrimmages a few more times before I try to collect them.

I reconed he had been on the ice right up until camp and was ready to fly. I had never seen him before — but he looked really impressive in that vid too.

The way I feel about him reminds me a bit of how I felt about Buch, Duke and Pionk when I first saw them. Zero expectations really, then they just jump right at you.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I am getting pretty high on Keane. I just thought he was so outstanding in rookie camp, chalked that up on him being in mid season form, but now I am starting to wonder, maybe he is that good??

This is what I wrote:

I reconed he had been on the ice right up until camp and was ready to fly. I had never seen him before — but he looked really impressive in that vid too.

The way I feel about him reminds me a bit of how I felt about Buch, Duke and Pionk when I first saw them. Zero expectations really, then they just jump right at you.

He’s a kid who made big strides last season. The question is just how much further he can take it, but there’s a good amount of promise there.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He’s a kid who made big strides last season. The question is just how much further he can take it, but there’s a good amount of promise there.

Seing the interview with the new MSG reporter he didn’t look that developed, could have a lot left filling out to do.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Seing the interview with the new MSG reporter he didn’t look that developed, could have a lot left filling out to do.

Yeah, he’s a bit of a late bloomer from a development standpoint. But that’s also the intrigue as well.

He’s one to really keep an eye on this season, because he’s going to climb the rankings if he picks up where he left off.

Reactions: egelband and Ola

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I have no idea watching that video how that kid went undrafted and fell to the 4th round. What are the scouts watching?!

He’s perfect for the nhl these days.

My only concern is he can’t shoot the puck. That’s pretty clear. But otherwise that’s a heck of a player we got late.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I have no idea watching that video how that kid went undrafted and fell to the 4th round. What are the scouts watching?!

My only concern is he can’t shoot the puck. That’s pretty clear. But otherwise that’s a heck of a player we got late.

Whenever a kid “seems” to come out of nowhere, there’s always a bit of hesitation there.

How did we we miss him? Why does he suddenly look so good? Has he peaked? Was it a fluke?

In Keane’s case, you have those questions floating around, and you have a skill set that doesn’t necessarily jump off the page.

He’s a smart player, who plays a fairly simple, uncomplicated game. But there’s not really a “wow” factor there. The general consensus from those who like him is that you really have to pay attention to appreciate all that he does during a game.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

Anthony DeAngelo is another weak shooter...that's one thing we're severely lacking....shooters from the back end.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Anthony DeAngelo is another weak shooter...that's one thing we're severely lacking....shooters from the back end.

Guys need to take pointers from Shattenkirk. Dude somehow scores on those writers from the blueline and is a good example of how you can be effective without having an overpowering slapshot.

It's generally my opinion that having a really hard slapshot is overrated unless you're one of the guys who can a.) shoot the puck really hard, 2.) get your shot off quickly, III.) pick corners with that hard shot, or d.) have a team system designed to get the puck to you for an open one timer that you can put enough power on to shoot right through a goalie

Most guys with hard shots lack something else to it and it's not really a weapon for them.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Guys need to take pointers from Shattenkirk. Dude somehow scores on those writers from the blueline and is a good example of how you can be effective without having an overpowering slapshot.

It's generally my opinion that having a really hard slapshot is overrated unless you're one of the guys who can a.) shoot the puck really hard, 2.) get your shot off quickly, III.) pick corners with that hard shot, or d.) have a team system designed to get the puck to you for an open one timer that you can put enough power on to shoot right through a goalie

Most guys with hard shots lack something else to it and it's not really a weapon for them.

Fair point. Goal-scoring in the NHL is primarily built on deflections and rebounds, and while a hard slap-shot may be condusive to the latter, a precise wrist-shot, while lacking the same acceleration, can be better suited for navigating congestion in the slot. That’s not to say that a good slapshot isn’t beneficial, but the technical progression of the wrist-shot and snap-shot have made them far more utilitarian.

Certain defensemen have carried on the legacy of the slap-shot being a primary asset in their arsenal (Weber, Chara, Subban, etc), but even they don’t depend on that quality to be good players.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not every bad thing that happened to the Rangers in the past couple years should be credited to AV. The number of players he's *ruined* in the last couple years is astounding.

McIlrath may have turned out better if his development hadn't been stalled by injury. His year with the Rangers didn't help but the coaching staff was between a rock and a hard place with him at that point. He needed to play but the Rangers had 6-7 better guys and they were worried about him being claimed off waivers if they sent him to Hartford and so he stagnated. There would have been an uproar here more than likely if the Rangers had tried to pass him through waivers and he'd had been claimed which would have been likely. So it turned into another lost year for him. Too many lost years--his development completely stalled--his kind of skillset redundant in this age of puck moving skilled defensemen. He's not an NHL worthy defenseman. He's not even a good prospect anymore.

Reactions: Thirty One

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Graves (Ryan) had a cannon but it took as long to load up as, well, a cannon. I mean he still generated a good amount of shots, but it never looked like it was ready to be a true weapon in the NHL because of the long wind up. Jury is still out on him but I'm skeptical. As Lev said, there's a lot more to it than having a boomer.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fair point. Goal-scoring in the NHL is primarily built on deflections and rebounds, and while a hard slap-shot may be condusive to the latter, a precise wrist-shot, while lacking the same acceleration, can be better suited for navigating congestion in the slot. That’s not to say that a good slapshot isn’t beneficial, but the technical progression of the wrist-shot and snap-shot have made them far more utilitarian.

Certain defensemen have carried on the legacy of the slap-shot being a primary asset in their arsenal (Weber, Chara, Subban, etc), but even they don’t depend on that quality to be good players.
Brent Burns is a good example. Guy scores a f***-ton of goals with that curl-and-drag wrister/snapper hybrid thing. I mean the man can bring the heat regardless, but he doesn't just launch slappers. There's a lot of nuance to his shot selection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->