Prospect Info: With the 88th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Joey Keane

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
New York Rangers 3rd Round Pick #88 OA - Joey Keane (RD)

1. Joey Keane - Defense - Barrie Colts
Some (or many) will probably be surprised to see Keane at #1 on this list and not Sean Durzi. I am sure many will disagree. And I do love Durzi too and believe both deserve to be top 3 round NHL picks this year and have the potential to be longtime NHL defenders. But those who follow me on twitter will know how impressed I've been with Keane this season. I just see him as potential impact defender at both ends. Last year, coming over from the USHL and playing for such a poor team, he just wasn't a noticeable player for the right reasons. But it's been the exact opposite this season. He's the #1 defender for one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference and emerged as one of the better defenders in the entire OHL (is a finalist for the Max Kaminsky). And he's a year younger than Durzi. Keane finished 13th in the league in defenseman scoring, but was 1st in +/- at +45. The next closest Barrie defender was Tyler Tucker at +27. That's why he was not only named the top defensive defender in the Eastern Conference in the Coaches Poll, but also the East's most improved. I look at Keane and see a defender made for today's NHL. Smooth skater who can push the pace of attack, but also solid and dependable in his own end. He makes a great outlet pass and rarely seems to turn the puck over. Keane also has a bit of a mean streak and he makes himself difficult to beat in all one on one situations. I mean, it's not like we're talking about a guy who has come out of nowhere either. Keane is a former highly touted prospect who was one of the 17 players invited to the U.S. NTDP U17 tryouts a few years ago and he finally seems to have figured it all out. I just see Keane as the complete package and teams would be crazy to pass on him again.

OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - 2018 NHL Draft Re-Entries

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ranked as a top-3 among overagers by Carp. Not sure if this turns out to be a good pick. I don't know much about Keane but I am curious to see how he does.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - 2018 NHL Draft Re-Entries

1. Joey Keane - Defense - Barrie Colts

Some (or many) will probably be surprised to see Keane at #1 on this list and not Sean Durzi. I am sure many will disagree. And I do love Durzi too and believe both deserve to be top 3 round NHL picks this year and have the potential to be longtime NHL defenders. But those who follow me on twitter will know how impressed I've been with Keane this season. I just see him as potential impact defender at both ends. Last year, coming over from the USHL and playing for such a poor team, he just wasn't a noticeable player for the right reasons. But it's been the exact opposite this season. He's the #1 defender for one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference and emerged as one of the better defenders in the entire OHL (is a finalist for the Max Kaminsky). And he's a year younger than Durzi. Keane finished 13th in the league in defenseman scoring, but was 1st in +/- at +45. The next closest Barrie defender was Tyler Tucker at +27. That's why he was not only named the top defensive defender in the Eastern Conference in the Coaches Poll, but also the East's most improved. I look at Keane and see a defender made for today's NHL. Smooth skater who can push the pace of attack, but also solid and dependable in his own end. He makes a great outlet pass and rarely seems to turn the puck over. Keane also has a bit of a mean streak and he makes himself difficult to beat in all one on one situations. I mean, it's not like we're talking about a guy who has come out of nowhere either. Keane is a former highly touted prospect who was one of the 17 players invited to the U.S. NTDP U17 tryouts a few years ago and he finally seems to have figured it all out. I just see Keane as the complete package and teams would be crazy to pass on him again.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I like the idea of drafting slightly older/more experienced defensemen. Since they take longer to mature/develop. Of course there are some who are pure can’t-miss types. But for the most part, the two-seven defenders tend to “arrive” later than forwards (is my sense).
Not that Keene is “old” but he has more experience than most so I think we’re seeing him a bit nearer to his potential at this point.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just updated the OP. The servers lost what I had initially posted there. OHL Brock had him as the top over-ager from the OHL this year. And that guy knows his OHL prospects.

I didn't think this was such a bad pick. I don't think I actually liked any of our picks aside from Hughes and maybe Gross, but this wasn't a pick that was worth complaining about. Keane was on the younger side of 2017 draft-eligible defensemen. He's only between 2-3 months older than first year draft eligible Ragnarsson, so its not like he's that old, anyway.

Keane was invited to the US WJC Summer camp. It seems like he should have a good chance to make the team.

Reactions: eco's bones

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ranked as a top-3 among overagers by Carp. Not sure if this turns out to be a good pick. I don't know much about Keane but I am curious to see how he does.

Carp probably hadn't even heard of Dahlin until last month. I wouldn't regard anything he says about prospects, and I'm skeptical of his new found "sources" since joining the Athletic.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
As the biggest Joey Keane supporter on the board and at the draft, I guess I should post here...somewhere I have a short video of his skating compared to Declan Chisholm (Brock and I were discussing that)...I have taken a lot of heat because Keane is my #1 d-man in the OHL (over Bouchard et al)...I don't want to jinx it, but the last time I was this enamored with a passover pick, it was the year before Viktor Arvidsson was taken...

1. Joey Keane (Barrie [OHL], #4, RHS, RD) - Excellent, mobile, two-way defenseman with a ton of upside. One of the best skaters in the draft class. Speed, first-step quickness and lateral mobility are all elite level. He can join the rush late and develop enough speed that he can take the puck in the NZ and beat a defenseman wide with speed. His acceleration out of corners and when swinging the net are tough to match for forecheckers at this level. He has the recovery ability to make some more aggressive defensive plays higher than usual while still being able to get back and recover if he didn't finish the play. Has very good puck poise, he doesn't rush breakouts. Very content to just turn back and reset. Does a great job of creating passing lanes for himself with his smarts and mobility. Doesn't really pride himself as a shooter, but he has a quick release and a plus wrist shot. He has already made a huge jump from his rookie season, but if he's going to be this type of puck-rushing d-man at the next level, he'll need to further hone his 1-on-1 puck skills. He won't be able to beat all forecheckers in the NHL with just speed alone. He shows glimpses of good hands, but rarely in situations where he's beating a player with them. Defensive game is smart and aggressive but sensible. Good compete level near his net and in corners. Let's his feet do the work for him. Reliable exit-ability. Not a lot of weaknesses to his game but a lot of really good strengths.

 Hockey Sense: A-
 Skating speed/power/acc: A
 Skating lateral/edges/agility: A+
 Vision: B+
 Puck skills: B
 Shot: B-
 Defense technique: B+
 Defense urgency: B+
 Frame/size: C+
 Ceiling/Risk: High/Low (1st round)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This was a kid I mentioned in the weeks leading up to the draft who I'd be happy with as an overager mid-round pick.

He's probably my second favorite pick in this draft. Kid has wheels and is really smart. Puck skills need work, but I think he can end up as a Demers type of player.

Reactions: eco's bones

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Demers is not a good skater and plays way bigger than his vitals. He's got a higher ceiling than that.

Jeff Gorton clearly set out to acquire second-tier talent thinking he could draft elite talent...you see homerun picks like Kravtsov (don't love) and Keane (love) and it kind of justifies the trade deadline he had. He's got big ones, I'll give him that. Shooters shoot. And, frankly, I hope it works out...the Patrick Division isn't quite the Patrick Division unless the Rangers are relevant...

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Demers is not a good skater and plays way bigger than his vitals. He's got a higher ceiling than that.

Jeff Gorton clearly set out to acquire second-tier talent thinking he could draft elite talent...you see homerun picks like Kravtsov (don't love) and Keane (love) and it kind of justifies the trade deadline he had. He's got big ones, I'll give him that. Shooters shoot. And, frankly, I hope it works out...the Patrick Division isn't quite the Patrick Division unless the Rangers are relevant...
I meant Demers in that I can see Keane developing as a very good 2nd pairing guy who can play up if need be. I don't necessarily see Keane's offensive numbers being strong at the next level, but I do see him making a strong impact on the defensive end of the rink. If you'd prefer another stylistic comparator, I'd say Mark Pysyk.

Regardless, this was a pick I was thrilled to see Gorton make, and I'm expecting him to have a huge year for Barrie. Buckle up for the Ryan Suzuki show :cheers:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->