Prospect Info: With the 88th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Joey Keane

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Which is a mistake. Goaltender is an important position.
My list as far as difficulty to play. I’ve played them all. Watched them all.
1-center
2-goalie
3-defense
4-wing.
All important to me wing has the most freedom. Just cover your point and go score.

It's not a mistake at all. The position of goaltender is the lowest-value position in all of hockey. Especially when it comes to the draft. It's not equivalent to QB.

And "difficulty to play" is meaningless in this discussion.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This. So much this. I don’t believe a goalie should be drafted before the 4th round. Also, considering that I still believe the Rangers are not very deep organization-wise at forward, and there were many good opportunities to add quality candidates at that spot, I still despise the pick.

Right. That's my bitch with the pick.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
It's not a mistake at all. The position of goaltender is the lowest-value position in all of hockey. Especially when it comes to the draft. It's not equivalent to QB.

And "difficulty to play" is meaningless in this discussion.
I disagree. If you could have Gilles Gratton or Patrick Roy in goal for your team in a playoff series who do you go with. ?
Goaltender is very important. My apologies to Gilles Gratton an NHL goalie but no Patrick Roy.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I disagree. If you could have Gilles Gratton or Patrick Roy in goal for your team in a playoff series who do you go with. ?
Goaltender is very important. My apologies to Gilles Gratton an NHL goalie but no Patrick Roy.

It's like saying if you can have Colton Orr or Wayne Gretzky who would you pick? There's not that much variance in terms of goalie performance on average.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'd rather have an all-time great skater of any position than a goaltender. I think that this is a pretty easy choice, too.

In terms of pure, unadulterated talent, Hank is likely a top 7-10 goaltender ever. Yet I'd take Crosby over him 15 times out of 10.

Cag29

Jul 18, 2018
I'd rather have an all-time great skater of any position than a goaltender. I think that this is a pretty easy choice, too.

In terms of pure, unadulterated talent, Hank is likely a top 7-10 goaltender ever. Yet I'd take Crosby over him 15 times out of 10.
You guys act like you can have a piece of Swiss cheese in nets and you’d get by. Untrue goalie position can lift a team or demoralize a team.

Cag29

Jul 18, 2018

I’d take Crosby too. I’m saying goalie is a very important position to a team.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I’d take Crosby too. I’m saying goalie is a very important position to a team.

But the position is not more valuable than C, D, or W.

Thus, it's the least important position on the team.

No one is saying goaltending is not important. We are all saying it's the least valuable position. Which it is.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You guys act like you can have a piece of Swiss cheese in nets and you’d get by. Untrue goalie position can lift a team or demoralize a team.

. . . and average starting goaltenders are easy to find. I'd much rather have an average starting goalie (being that it can be an erratic position to begin with) at a moderate cap hit than a star goalie at a high cap hit.

In the current cap'd NHL, this is really the only proper strategy.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its great he'll probably make the WJC team, but I wouldn't go crazy about how good he can be. I've not seen anything that great and I don't think anyone has pegged him as a huge miss that'll turn into an NHL star. Looks like the prototypical Rangers defensive acquisition though.

But I think it was a good pick. He's a very good skater, he likes carrying the puck, and he could probably eventually hold his own in the O and D zones in the NHL. If we can get middle pairing defensemen out of a third rounder, thats pretty good. Even if he was only a bottom pairing defensemen, that wouldn't be bad.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
. . . and average starting goaltenders are easy to find. I'd much rather have an average starting goalie (being that it can be an erratic position to begin with) at a moderate cap hit than a star goalie at a high cap hit.

In the current cap'd NHL, this is really the only proper strategy.
Let me ask in a different way. Given a choice between a starting goalie and a bottom 6 forward, who would you rather draft?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Let me ask in a different way. Given a choice between a starting goalie and a bottom 6 forward, who would you rather draft?

If teams knew what goalies were starters, they'd wait until the 7th round and then pick from the handful of future starters that hadn't been selected yet.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The problem with bottom 6er vs average starter is that there’s 10-15 goalies better than that average starter and at least like 186 forwards better than the bottom 6er

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
from lineups posted on twitter, it looks like Keane will be on the 1st pair today against Finland

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Nah its on in an hour.

Glad I'll be able to take this one in.
Bummer, I got home in time to catch the last 5 minutes of the USA Sweden game yesterday, but I recorded the replay so I guess I’ll watch that one and record the replay of this one and watch Canada/Sweden if Lundkvist is playing tonight

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I don't see how to even answer that since I don't think it's remotely predictable.
Well you can't compare a generational player to a goalie and decide from that that all forwards are more important than goalies - there are 12 forwards and they're not all equally important. You can always find gems in the late rounds but you'll also find plenty of busts in the 1st round. What is the historical expectation of forwards taken in the 2nd or 3rd round? Top 6? Top 9? I really don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad