Prospect Info: With the 66th overall pick in the 2021 Entry Draft, the Ducks select Sasha Pastujov

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Now we know the reason why Pasta fell to the third round... his skating. And Pasta made a great decision in improving his skating with Underhill and is still taking college classes.

Stephens wrote a great piece on Pasta as well as made the 'six degrees of Kevin Bacon' of connecting Murray with Underhill way back when Murray was with Chicago, Underhill being part owner of the Guelph, the Guelph owning Pasta's rights, Pasta's skating problem, and the fact that Pasta fell to the third round. Guess many teams didn't want to take a chance early with Pasta's skating problem, but GM Murray and scouting group had a joker card available. Then seeing Pasta upset why he dropped and wants to prove many teams wrong in his post-draft interview marries why Pasta went to the OHL, which is really going to be trained to be a better skater with a great skating coach in Underhill.

Pasta's stock might jump high if he can improve his skating in this year in the OHL. Staying two years in the OHL can not only improve his skating, but also make it a permanent fix with Underhill's supervision. Stephens gave the example of Etem's improved skating technique, but Etem lost it because he didn't keep on it; Stephens' article is a great read!

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Eakins is reporting that Underhill is still working with pastujov as a skating instructor despite the sale of the team. This is very good news.
I think logical as well. These things (sale) usually don't happen overnight, I'm sure Ducks were informed

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
At the Guelph's website, under staff, Barb Underhill is still listed as its skating coach: link.

This bodes very well for Sasha... at least for this season.
To be fair it could be in Pastas best interest to only stay in the OHL for one year and maybe he plays in San Diego next, I could see him blowing the league out of the water this year and proving he needs to be moved up a level.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
To be fair it could be in Pastas best interest to only stay in the OHL for one year and maybe he plays in San Diego next, I could see him blowing the league out of the water this year and proving he needs to be moved up a level.

Can't happen. The CHL and NHL have an agreement that players cannot go to the AHL if they're under 20 years of age. Due to COVID, only these two seasons (last year and this year) is when only OHL prospects can play in the AHL, provided they played in at least 25 AHL/NHL games. Drysdale and Perreault were 18 year olds playing in the AHL last year. They get a waiver to play there this year, not that Drysdale will see the AHL again.

It'll be two years in the OHL and then San Diego. Two years of working on his skating would be far more beneficial than one, considering Sasha's skating isn't all that right now.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Can't happen. The CHL and NHL have an agreement that players cannot go to the AHL if they're under 20 years of age. Due to COVID, only these two seasons (last year and this year) is when only OHL prospects can play in the AHL, provided they played in at least 25 AHL/NHL games. Drysdale and Perreault were 18 year olds playing in the AHL last year. They get a waiver to play there this year, not that Drysdale will see the AHL again.

It'll be two years in the OHL and then San Diego. Two years of working on his skating would be far more beneficial than one, considering Sasha's skating isn't all that right now.

that rule doesn’t apply to pasta since he was drafted out of the ushl

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
that rule doesn’t apply to pasta since he was drafted out of the ushl

Ohhh really?! I stand corrected.

From the stanleycupofchowder.com article:

There is an agreement in place between the NHL and the CHL (Canadian Hockey League, the overarching organization beneath which stand the OHL, the WHL, and the QMJHL) which exists primarily to protect the CHL.

The USHL doesn't belong to the CHL. But later into the article, this tidbit comes up:

European players further complicate The Agreement. If European players are drafted in the CHL draft before they're drafted by an NHL club, this rule applies to them.

Huh... This throws things in a tizzy because Pasta was drafted by the Storm in 2019. If everything is based upon getting drafted by the CHL before the NHL draft, then does this mean Pasta also falls into the CHL-NHL agreement? Pasta was committed to the NCAA, but decided to go juniors. The Storm already owned his draft rights since 2019 and there were no other CHL teams that Pasta could have joined.

I have no idea where Pasta lies in this CHL-NHL agreement. I'll take your word for it that the rule doesn't apply to Pasta.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I didn't knew she worked with the Ducks as well. But this is a very encouraging read thinking about Pasta.

The opportunities are clearly there, now it's up to Pasta to put it together. I would guess that he wants to improve his skating badly as well, because he made the change from NCAA which probably wasn't easy to do. Cool

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
277DEF53-FDCC-4FFC-9F91-DAEB4A87F895.jpeg

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
That's basically mid-to-high 1st round talent.

Pasta certainly have things to work on (he will need to get stronger and more explosive first and foremost IMO), but he certainly has some dynamite skills around the net and he just knows how to score. Which is different and much better and translatable skill than a player having a ''great shot'', IMO.

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015

Two things that really stood out to me:

1) He (and his family for that matter) seems like a hard worker, which could be crucial for developing his skating
2) He also seems to have a good head on his shoulders and mature for his age. If he pans out, I could see him being a leader on the Ducks.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Pastujov is currently on pace for about 50g 50a 100pts in the OHL this season. I'm somewhat surprised that he was left off the US WJC roster this year. He's in the Top 10 in OHL scoring despite missing several games.

Last edited:

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Pastujov is currently on pace for about 50g 50a 100pts in the OHL this season. I'm somewhat surprised that he was left off the US WJC roster this year. He's in the Top 10 in OHL scoring despite missing several games.

Not sure how much validity there is to it, but I’ve seen theories that the US team looks down on anyone playing in Canada

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Not sure how much validity there is to it, but I’ve seen theories that the US team looks down on anyone playing in Canada
Ty Voit is having a monster season in the OHL and is #1 in scoring. Also got snubbed from the US team... so maybe there is something to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad