Prospect Info: With the 66th overall pick in the 2021 Entry Draft, the Ducks select Sasha Pastujov

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Huh. Wasn’t he highly touted before? I swear he was first round material about a year or two ago. Either that, or I’m confused with someone else.
He was like top 5 rated at the beginning of the season by McKenzie.

Edit: looking now, not McKenzie. Someone did, I'll find it.

I can't find it, but I saw him 5th on one preseason list and was top 10/15 all the way up to the last iteration where he ended up in the 30s. Obviously wasn't production related.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
When the Kings traded up in the 2nd round I thought for sure they were going to take either Pastujov or Robertsson. Still surprised they didn't.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Gonna watch him at 10am.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Watching him now... He reminds me of a winger I like on the ducks... He's got faster hands though somewhere in between Terry and Zegras... His skating is pretty rough though. When he gets the puck on the power play he stick handles very fast like zegras from the half wall for deception.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Just re watched the game from today... Sasha reminds me so much of rookie Terry... With falling down and everything. He has better hands than Terry but makes sneaky plays just like him.​

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Just re watched the game from today... Sasha reminds me so much of rookie Terry... With falling down and everything. He has better hands than Terry but makes sneaky plays just like him.​
Terry's problem was that he was small (we drafted him 5'11). He looked decent but wasn't able to produce (in the USTDP because he was behind Matthews & Co, and in NCAA because he was not grown into his body). He was making plays, his ability to read the ice was very clear but yeah, he always felt short because he was very fragile.

I think Pastujov knows how to produce already, it's just his skating and/or other issues that hold him back. I have seen very little tape on him though. I love that he is actually very early birthdate as well. Just 11 days ago turned 18.

PS
Just tried to check some previous NDP player's production. In his draft year, Pastujov has very similar production to Turcotte. Pastujov probably doesn't come close to the Turc's overall ability tho.

Last edited:

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Terry's problem was that he was small (we drafted him 5'11). He looked decent but wasn't able to produce (in the USTDP because he was behind Matthews & Co, and in NCAA because he was not grown into his body). He was making plays, his ability to read the ice was very clear but yeah, he always felt short because he was very fragile.

I think Pastujov knows how to produce already, it's just his skating and/or other issues that hold him back. I have seen very little tape on him though
Hes playing in a USA tourney right now! First game was today.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Huh. Wasn’t he highly touted before? I swear he was first round material about a year or two ago. Either that, or I’m confused with someone else.

He has two older brothers ('98 and '99 born) that played together in the NCAA. If I remember correctly the '99 was highly touted as a youngster but faded out of the picture by his draft year.

Oct 18, 2011
I keep thinking Kyle Wellwood, except I hope this kid has dedication. Wellwood had alot of talent but was slow and didnt put in the effort, if this guy does he could be a good player

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I'm not as worried about his skating as others are. He's obviously not a burner and his stride isnt efficient but his head is always up and he's extremely advanced on his edges, especially while handling the puck. He's also shown he's clutch and has a knack for being at the net at the right times. Really has a similar offensive mind as Zegras and almost matches his skill at 18. Of course Zegras was also a way better skater and even then we knew he was a damn wizard. Sasha does project to be quite a bit bigger though and he likes being in the middle of the ice so I think he'll provide enough offense regardless of his speed

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
It would be cool if a bit ahead of training camps the Ducks got Zegras McTavish and Pastujov together and had them work with a skating coach for a week, intensely. Not that it would make them miraculous skaters overnight but it could set them on a track for success. And if decent progress was made it would be cool to see at training camp if it pays dividends.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
He's playing again in 5 minutes on hockeytv.com, I'll be watching.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
He's so good, he stands out like a sore thumb when he gets the puck.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
He makes so many sneaky plays you don't notice unless you are really watching (IE lifting sticks, chip passes, little stick handle moves to make a little more space)

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Just scored a PP one timer goal to basically seal the game. He actually plays a lot like Guenther from the game I scouted of him....just poorer skating and play away from the puck. I still think he plays like Terry with better hands.

Reactions: duxfan1101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad