Prospect Info: With the #63 pick, the Wild select (C) Jack McBain (NCAA, Boston College)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It's basically going to come down to whether or not the Wild are willing to burn a year of his ELC i'm sure.

If they are, he'll sign and only basically have one year until he's an RFA. If he doesn't, he'll have two.

Makes the choice pretty easy at that point.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's basically going to come down to whether or not the Wild are willing to burn a year of his ELC i'm sure.

If they are, he'll sign and only basically have one year until he's an RFA. If he doesn't, he'll have two.

Makes the choice pretty easy at that point.

It won't matter either way. His 2nd contact would be for the '24-'25 seasonThis season he would be as a 21 year old (3 year ELC with this being year 1). If he signs as free agent this offseason he would be a 22 year old (2 year ELC).

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:
  • 18-21 years of age: 3 years
  • 22-23 years of age: 2 years
  • 24 years of age: 1 year

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I believe Wabit is correct. I think if McBain were born a week earlier, he turned 22 yesterday, this would count as his 22 years of age year but since since was 21 on Jan 1st a contract for this season is his 21 years of age year and he can only sign a 3 year ELC.

If I'm mistaken please let me know, I'm not positive by any means.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It won't matter either way. His 2nd contact would be for the '24-'25 seasonThis season he would be as a 21 year old (3 year ELC with this being year 1). If he signs as free agent this offseason he would be a 22 year old (2 year ELC).

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I believe Wabit is correct. I think if McBain were born a week earlier, he turned 22 yesterday, this would count as his 22 years of age year but since since was 21 on Jan 1st a contract for this season is his 21 years of age year and he can only sign a 3 year ELC.

If I'm mistaken please let me know, I'm not positive by any means.

You're both incorrect.

Signing age is funky. Its your age on September 15th on the calendar year you sign a contract.

Had McBain decided to leave college and sign on December 31st, 2021 his signing age would have been 21.

Had he decided to leave college and sign on January 1st, 2022 his signing age would have been 22.

So as of January 1st, his signing age is 22 and he'll have a 2 year ELC. The Wild will have an opportunity to burn one if they choose, which is a significant advantage no other team can offer.

See section 9.2 of the CBA

9.2 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
The CBA often hurts my brain. Thank you for posting that, I appreciate your thoroughness.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
You're both incorrect.

Signing age is funky. Its your age on September 15th on the calendar year you sign a contract.

Had McBain decided to leave college and sign on December 31st, 2021 his signing age would have been 21.

Had he decided to leave college and sign on January 1st, 2022 his signing age would have been 22.

So as of January 1st, his signing age is 22 and he'll have a 2 year ELC. The Wild will have an opportunity to burn one if they choose, which is a significant advantage no other team can offer.

See section 9.2 of the CBA

So are you saying the wild could burn his first year and hell have a 1 yr ELC?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
So are you saying the wild could burn his first year and hell have a 1 yr ELC?

I mean, technically it'll be a 2 year ELC. But the 1st year will only be a handful of games (whether in the AHL or NHL). Then the 2nd year of the ELC will be the 2022-2023 season, becoming an RFA in 2023 offseason.

If he doesn't sign, he has to wait until Aug 15th to sign his ELC, and can become an RFA only in the 2024 Offseason.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I mean, technically it'll be a 2 year ELC. But the 1st year will only be a handful of games (whether in the AHL or NHL). Then the 2nd year of the ELC will be the 2022-2023 season, becoming an RFA in 2023 offseason.

If he doesn't sign, he has to wait until Aug 15th to sign his ELC, and can become an RFA only in the 2024 Offseason.

could actually be a good thing for the wild then. 1 year to prove a contract isnt going to get you 3mil a year typically.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
could actually be a good thing for the wild then. 1 year to prove a contract isnt going to get you 3mil a year typically.
With no real downside to McBain. If he spends all year in the AHL his QO will be slightly more than he would have got on an ELC

Reactions: GuerinUp

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
The Wild didn’t want to burn a year off Boldy’s first NHL contract. And he’s was their best or second best prospect at the time. Not a certainty they would be willing to do so for McBain.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Wild didn’t want to burn a year off Boldy’s first NHL contract. And he’s was their best or second best prospect at the time. Not a certainty they would be willing to do so for McBain.

Boldy burned his 1st ELC year as soon as he signed last season.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Certainly different situations, given Boldys options were back to college not UFA.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Hot take: The Wild will sign McBain in time for the postseason and he will have an immediate impact ala another former Boston College player, Chris Kreider.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t think k the Wild will have any trouble signing McBain
Not if they are willing to burn a year. Which I would be OK with. I think the odds are slim that he will make the team next year, though he might get called up for a couple of games. The jump to the AHL alone is pretty big for a college player, never mind the jump to the NHL.

Speaking of C prospects, WTH is going on with Khovanov? The fact that he can't get playing time over Sucese, or that Nolan Stevens(out with covid/injured now, I think?)doesn't bode well for his future with us.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not if they are willing to burn a year. Which I would be OK with. I think the odds are slim that he will make the team next year, though he might get called up for a couple of games. The jump to the AHL alone is pretty big for a college player, never mind the jump to the NHL.

Speaking of C prospects, WTH is going on with Khovanov? The fact that he can't get playing time over Sucese, or that Nolan Stevens(out with covid/injured now, I think?)doesn't bode well for his future with us.

I've already written off Khovanov as a legitimate prospect.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Khovanov is done. He’s not willing to make the sacrifices needed to be a pro. Stick a fork in him

Reactions: Ban Hammered
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad