Prospect Info: With the #63 pick, the Wild select (C) Jack McBain (NCAA, Boston College)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
On the Last Word on Hockey website's 2018 NHL Draft Grades, they write about their Value Picks:
"We are looking for value here, what steal did the team get in the draft that went later than we thought he would?"

They say McBain is Minnesota's value pick/steal. So, Wild did ok with that one.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
The athletic analytics prospect guy at the Wild with 7th best value draft with Shawn Boudrias as best value pick.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
He is a big bodied young player that has been growing his whole life. Cant expect everything to come together all at once.

By any chance was he a one sport kid? I remember watching young HS guys like Bjugstad, Wheeler, Lee and all of those guys played multiple sports. Can speed up the coordination process.

Reactions: hawkeerox

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He is a big bodied young player that has been growing his whole life. Cant expect everything to come together all at once.

By any chance was he a one sport kid? I remember watching young HS guys like Bjugstad, Wheeler, Lee and all of those guys played multiple sports. Can speed up the coordination process.
Apparently he's a great downhill skier as well, but that's the only other sport I've seen mentioned.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He had the highest producing offense by a good margin in the OJHL for a U18...

You'd like to see a guy of his stature do a little more in a lesser league like the OJHL.
I mean, you look at the list of OJHL alum and most of them didn't even spend a whole season there (a lot with little more than a few games). It's not a premier league.
I'm hoping the kid succeeds as much as anyone, but with how raw his skating and defensive game is, and how relatively low his offensive numbers were in such a league, he's a long way off. That's all I'm saying.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
You'd like to see a guy of his stature do a little more in a lesser league like the OJHL.
I mean, you look at the list of OJHL alum and most of them didn't even spend a whole season there (a lot with little more than a few games). It's not a premier league.
I'm hoping the kid succeeds as much as anyone, but with how raw his skating and defensive game is, and how relatively low his offensive numbers were in such a league, he's a long way off. That's all I'm saying.

I think that's pretty fair to say.

Reactions: hawkeerox and AKL

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It was mentioned that he's not good defensively. From Pronman:

...He’s a solid defensive center who can win draws at a high rate and win battles. His feet worry me. He’s a sluggish skater, especially on his first few strides. McBain on his game: “I’m a big 200-foot player. I think I’m pretty good in all zones of the ice....

Seems Pronman is more worried about his creativity and skating (specifically his acceleration) at a higher speed of game than he's used to than he is about his defensive game, which he thinks is a strength.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018

In a loong article in The Athletic, they interviewed his coach in the OJHL, Jeff Angelidis, who said that "when he is playing best-on-best in his age group there is no indication that his skating is going to hold him back in any way". You'd think his head coach of two years would know whether or not skating is an issue, and to him it really isn't, no more than any other player who is still growing into his 6'3 1/2" frame.

McBain's GM, Mike Ricci, says "As a rookie 16-17 year old, his work ethic, his compete level, far exceeded the 18, 19, 20-year-olds on our team at the time. ...The OHL is something that he could have dominated no problem." Seems to me that his own team had not-so-great elements to it surrounding him, and so that can affect stat-pumping. Angelidis says, "I think he could have dominated more statistically if I let him cheat a little bit but the maturity level of the young man is he didn't want to cheat. Sure, he wanted his points. What teenager doesn't? But he got it - he wanted to prove that he could play the 200-foot game as opposed to cheating and blowing by the D with the puck behind him so that he could pick up the extra point here or there."

It is, as I said, a long article, but really an insightful piece into this kid. seems like an unselfish player who could dominate point-wise if he wanted (I think he averaged over 2 ppg in the playoffs) but was trying to make plays to teammates. Sounds good to me. I am not concerned about him - I think Boston will get his speed and strength up.

Reactions: Monkeypox

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Beach volleyball I think ^

From the articles I have read, he was a national champion in beach volleyball, an internationally ranked alpine skier, an indoor volleyball player on some Provincial Rep team in Ontario, a soccer player, did triathlons - pretty awesome.

The notion that a guy who skis so well at speeds in excess of 50 mph on two pieces of wood 'lacks balance" is a complete joke. You can't be an internationally ranked skier with balance issues!!!

My guess is while other kids were in a pile of extra hockey camps in spring, summer, or skating programs or shooting clinics, etc he was doing the other sports and excelling in those. tells me that when he gets focused in BCollege he'll quickly catch up in any areas of so-called "weakness".

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
McBain’s skating issues are grossly exaggerated. He had no problem being one of Canada’s best forwards on the gold medal Hlinka team. Had no problem in WC u18.
He himself when asked has replied that the first three steps are an area he wants to improve but at 6’4 ish all players at 18 need a bit of work. As you’ve read he is a multi sport athlete who spent time playing them and not specifically hockey. He is green.
I have been vocal on HF about McBain all year.
I truly believe he’s Only scratched the surface on his potential. The Wild have gotten the steal of the draft in my estimation. And in 2-3 years it will show.
He didn’t have a team like the Soo who went 50-8 surrounded by tremendous players like Hayton (who I like but not love) He played on a mis pack team in an obscure league to maintain his NCAA eligibility. A tremendous pick for the Wild.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I for one am excited to see some sweet beach volleyball skills on the ice. All those Top Gun costumes way back when got us absolutely nothing except some Maverick/Iceman locker room bullshit.

Reactions: Bazeek

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I for one am excited to see some sweet beach volleyball skills on the ice. All those Top Gun costumes way back when got us absolutely nothing except some Maverick/Iceman locker room bull****.
I'll be eager to see the pre-game soccer juggling warm-ups when McBain jumps in with a spike.

Reactions: hawkeerox

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Chris Kreider 2.0?...I can dream right?

Well, Chris Kreider 2.0 would certainly be an outstanding achievement!!!
Not sure if McBain's upside goes that high - Kreider went 19th and McBain went 63rd - but we'll see. He'd have to exceed just about everyone's expectations but his own, but hey so have so many players who busted their arses and were willing to be taught in order to get better. He seems (just from wha I have read) to not be an a***ole who thinks only of himself, so he appears to be a willing student of the pro-level game. A team guy. Here's hoping anyhow - and if he scuffs it at first, he'll see what he's made of.

Last edited:

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
It was mentioned that he's not good defensively. From Pronman:

Seems Pronman is more worried about his creativity and skating (specifically his acceleration) at a higher speed of game than he's used to than he is about his defensive game, which he thinks is a strength.

Yah there's mixed opinions about what areas are weak and are his strengths. Scouts were just guesstimating, or basing on what they saw, and maybe they watched different games, haha

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
The fact he excels at multiple sports leads me to believe his ceiling might be higher than your average 3rd rounder.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Great, so now we have to worry about losing him to the BVA(Beach Volleyball Association)?

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Saw he picked up an assist and 4 PIM's this weekend. If I remember correctly, he has been injured. Only played 5 games so far this year.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
Got his first goal last game as well.
Not injured. He had mono, which means it will take awhile to get to 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad