Prospect Info: With the #63 pick, the Wild select (C) Jack McBain (NCAA, Boston College)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
is it just me or does he seem to be actually fast for a big man? i dont recall him being known for speed.

His skating was a knock on him in the draft, he needed to work on his first step IIRC. He had good speed, it just took him awhile to get there.

From one of his predraft writeups:
So what do we have in McBain? We have someone who already has NHL size and is not done growing. He’s 6-foot-3 and almost 200 pounds. Once he’s at full speed, he’s a load to handle at both ends of the ice. He uses his long reach and size to force turnovers. He then uses good vision and puck skills to start counterattacks. His three points in the gold medal game at the Ivan Hlinka is a glimpse of the type of player he can be.

As for questions about McBain, it starts with the level of competition he played against. He clearly demonstrated how good he was in the OJHL. How will he do against better competition? We’ll find out soon enough when he dawns an Eagles’ sweater at BC. I’d also like to see him improve his first couple of skating strides. Faster skaters have a clear advantage in races to pucks. I’d imagine this will be his top priority this summer. The tools are there. Can he maximize them going the NCAA route?

https://thehockeywriters.com/jack-mcbain-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
His skating was a knock on him in the draft, he needed to work on his first step IIRC. He had good speed, it just took him awhile to get there.

From one of his predraft writeups:

https://thehockeywriters.com/jack-mcbain-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

gotcha thanks i forgot i read that same bit that he has a slow acceleration but the long legs create good top end speed. unless im mistaken he does seem to be playing well in the NCAA. not jumping off the charts but sure isnt a product of playing lesser competition.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
gotcha thanks i forgot i read that same bit that he has a slow acceleration but the long legs create good top end speed. unless im mistaken he does seem to be playing well in the NCAA. not jumping off the charts but sure isnt a product of playing lesser competition.

2g/2a in 11 games so far this year. He had mono to start the season, so I'm not sure how much that hurt his game so far this year.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
2g/2a in 11 games so far this year. He had mono to start the season, so I'm not sure how much that hurt his game so far this year.

yeah he started the year late i recall. In the last video shared he had a teammate miss a backdoor feed but his speed shot and playmaking ability looks good so far from highlights. ill be waiting to catch a game on tv to see how he really does.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
I think McBain has an injury. Hopefully not too serious and is back soon.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Are these guys allowed to sign contracts with the NHL and continuing playing college hockey? It’s always concerning when they hit their senior years unsigned.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Are these guys allowed to sign contracts with the NHL and continuing playing college hockey? It’s always concerning when they hit their senior years unsigned.

Absolutely not. The NCAA likes to keep it's amateur sports façade up while it practically prints money.

Reactions: Spurgeon

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
No. Nothing to prevent them from coming to an unwritten agreement, but if I'm McBain's advisor I'd rather be talking to 32 teams, not 1.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Absolutely not. The NCAA likes to keep it's amateur sports façade up while it practically prints money.

Yeah, I’m hoping the changes that have been happening in CFB impact this. It’s kind of a ridiculous loophole that’s bad for the player and the team.

If a player wants to pursue a degree, but lock in a contract in his sophomore year, then why should a team and a player not be allowed to make that a formal agreement.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Yeah, I’m hoping the changes that have been happening in CFB impact this. It’s kind of a ridiculous loophole that’s bad for the player and the team.

If a player wants to pursue a degree, but lock in a contract in his sophomore year, then why should a team and a player not be allowed to make that a formal agreement.

No other sport can do that and not all NCAA sports have pro leagues. The NCAA won't make an exception for hockey. Honestly, hockey is lucky they can be drafted and still play as no other sport does that.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Talking to them about what? Every contract discussion is going to be under the same parameters.

ELC structures are all the same 2-way deals. The signing bonus and performance bonuses offered are the main differences. The opportunity to be on the NHL roster the fastest (make 10x more per day compared to the AHL) can be a factor. There are the other factors that every free agent looks at too: location, taxes, team style/system, good/bad teams/futures, etc.

Someplace like AZ isn't a place a UFA wants to sign due to their immediate future and chances to win a Cup. On the flip side AZ could be a place that is tempting for a young guy trying to break into the league and have a chance at cracking the NHL roster right away.

He's in a spot that many college grads are in when taking their first job after college. Take the first thing offered (Wild) or wait and weigh all your options for a couple of months (free agent status).

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
...or ask for a trade so the Wild will/can get something in return.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Hopefully Boldy is helping to convince McBain to do the right thing and sign with the Wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad