Prospect Info: With the #63 pick, the Wild select (C) Jack McBain (NCAA, Boston College)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
McBain-Jack-840x420-px.jpg

Jack McBain at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not a bad pick but his skating scares me.

His skating is a fixable thing at least.

A big-bodied strong player who competes hard game in and game out. Relentless despite having a strong ensemble of players to provide supplementary scoring. Establishes his position using his stature and competitiveness to wins battles and space in the scoring areas. Has soft hands and scoring ability. At times his feet look really heavy and he doesn’t keep them moving. Has the strength to carry defenders with him. Is very difficult to move him from the crease area on the power play. The skating issues may really hurt his chances because he lacks balance. Takes short strides to his skating and isn’t an accomplished skater to work these issues out in a year with an instructor. Committed to Boston College.
—Bill Placzek—

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I like the Ryan Getzlaf comparison. Big center with skill. Potential to become a bottom-6 center.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
So he’s a guy with great offensive tools but hasn’t been able to put up great offensive numbers in the OJHL, and his defensive game is bad at best, and his skating is subpar?

Lots of work to do before he even sniffs the NHL, if ever.
Figured you'd be happy...he was consensus in the 50s and 35th by TSN/McKenzie...
Guess not...

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If he fixes his skating he could turn into a middle-6er. If he doesn't he won't see the NHL. I like this pick for a 3rd.

Sonofjorg

Dec 10, 2008
Duluth, MN
Boston College's head coach:

“We think Jack is going to be a terrific player for us. He’ll bring size and hockey savvy to our program. I like his range, I like his ability to make plays, and his skating will get better as he goes on the ice every day. We’ve got a good skating program here so I think that half a step he needs to separate himself is going to make him a dynamic pro player down the road,” York told The Athletic.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
One of the NHLN announcers just called for him to the a steal of the draft.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
My friend told me the Sportsnet prospect guy said McBain is the steal of the draft.
He’s really raw right now so I hope he can put it together.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
I've been high on the kid all year (just ask the gang over on the Montreal and Philly posts).
He was an internationally-ranked alpine skiier as well as a very talented player of many other sports, while still playing hockey. Family reminds me of the Foudy ideal of doing a mix of sports when you're young. So his skating has not progressed as well as it might, but with the kid going to BCollege just watch what happens. He's almost 6'4", and had the second largest wingspan at the Combine as well as high rankings in other physical tasks, so you are looking at a highly capable athlete. I wonder about him being penalized simply because he was with the OJHL. he had NO problems keeping up with players at Hlinka, U18 World Cup tournaments, so I think the skating problems are overblown.

He is a steal. Minnesota picked well in this instance.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
So he’s a guy with great offensive tools but hasn’t been able to put up great offensive numbers in the OJHL, and his defensive game is bad at best, and his skating is subpar?

Lots of work to do before he even sniffs the NHL, if ever.
He had the highest producing offense by a good margin in the OJHL for a U18...

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Wise would also have been a good choice - not saying there weren't healthy alternatives! However, McBain's potential is not a bottom forward, that is for sure. Minnesota fans can see how things go in BCollege.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I've been high on the kid all year (just ask the gang over on the Montreal and Philly posts).
He was an internationally-ranked alpine skiier as well as a very talented player of many other sports, while still playing hockey. Family reminds me of the Foudy ideal of doing a mix of sports when you're young. So his skating has not progressed as well as it might, but with the kid going to BCollege just watch what happens. He's almost 6'4", and had the second largest wingspan at the Combine as well as high rankings in other physical tasks, so you are looking at a highly capable athlete. I wonder about him being penalized simply because he was with the OJHL. he had NO problems keeping up with players at Hlinka, U18 World Cup tournaments, so I think the skating problems are overblown.

He is a steal. Minnesota picked well in this instance.
Largely how I feel. I keep seeing "potential for bottom 6" and I just personally think that's setting the bar too low. I don't know why people are upset that the Wild took a flier on 6'3", dynamic, offensively skilled center, yet complain that they didn't take that chance on Bokk. Yeah, I want Bokk too, but don't let one round ruin your enjoyment of the entire draft, folks.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Largely how I feel. I keep seeing "potential for bottom 6" and I just personally think that's setting the bar too low. I don't know why people are upset that the Wild took a flier on 6'3", dynamic, offensively skilled center, yet complain that they didn't take that chance on Bokk. Yeah, I want Bokk too, but don't let one round ruin your enjoyment of the entire draft, folks.

Yes, lots of negativity about the Filip Johansson pick. The two are totally different kinds of picks, as you say - safe, rather bland pick for the first-rounder according to the reviews.
However, the McBain is not that much of a flier anyhow - he's ranked a lot higher, and that is with being penalized by scouts simply because he did not go on a stat-bending tear until the playoffs at the OJHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad