Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2021 Entry Draft, the Ducks select Mason McTavish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Mctavish is going to bring a ton of physicality, explosiveness and an elite shot. He may not be a superstar but i cant see him hurting our team in any way.

Btw, i talked to a coach that said he has a shot to make the nhl club if he does really well in camp.
He has a good shot, it's not elite. He also needs to work on his overall offensive game so that the shot becomes more of a threat. Think about Ritchie - he had an ''elite shot'' but it was his only trick up his sleeve and it became irrelevant.
I do think McTavish is better than Ritchie, but the point still stands.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
We have really nobody else on this team up front that brings the physicality like him (besides Jones and Comtois). I don’t want another ‘soft’ forward like Eklund. Give me the guy you can put out in all situations.

I’m surprised around social media and here that there are fans who will throw him into any proposal.

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We have really nobody else on this team up front that brings the physicality like him (besides Jones and Comtois). I don’t want another ‘soft’ forward like Eklund. Give me the guy you can put out in all situations.

I’m surprised around social media and here that there are fans who will throw him into any proposal.
Yeah having another soft guy like Zegras and Drysdale would be horrible, how could we survive.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Was checking Draisaitl stats pre-draft. From what can be compared, McTavish doesn't come close.
Draisaitl was anchoring his team D-2 year in the WHL. McTavish while was scoring at a good pace, was just a complementary scorer on his team, with comparable stats to someone as Ritchie.

I sound a bit like a hater, but I'm very ok to have McTavish in our org btw. It's just I don't think he was the BPA and there is some hype on him in our fanbase but I think some fans will be disappointed on the outcome.
Murray said he could be a top-9 center and right now it looks like that to me - a Middle-6 two-way centerman. 50 point potential in peak years.

That's fair to have skepticism of McTavish. On the first round post-draft interview with Murray on McTavish, Murray stated there was one guy and then a group of 7-8 guys. That's the 2021 draft for you.

D-2 Seasons
Draisaitl: 64 games, 21g + 37a = 58 pts, 0.91 ppg
McTavish: 57 games, 29g + 13a = 42 pts, 0.74 ppg​

McTavish finished 3rd in goal scoring on his team, with next goal scorer having scored 21 goals. The pattern with McTavish is that he usually scores in bunches when he does score. Could an additional 7 more games played increase his point production and point production rate? But it's apparent that they're different players in their D-2 season, one an anchor and the other a complementary wing.

D-2 McTavish vs D-1 McTavish are vastly different players as he's expanded his play from just being a complementary goal scorer as well as improved his skating. The scouting media have all commented that McTavish had the biggest improvement in talent among the 2021 draftees. That jump in improvement was done against men on a bigger ice sheet and was also seen at the WJC-18s. At the WJC-18s, he was an anchor as well as been described as the heart & soul of team Canada.

Murray's 1st round, post-draft interview

Time Stamps
0:07 How long has Mason been on your radar and the reason he rose up the Ducks' draft board?
  • Since D-2, goal scorer
  • WJC-18, one of the players who drove the bus for team Canada
  • WJC-18 Canada coach gave more insight, who the Ducks also hired as an assistant coach
2:00 What different elements did Mason bring that made the Ducks choose him over other forwards?
  • pushing the pace and oomph
  • good on forecheck
  • shoots the puck
  • physical presence
  • different player than Trevor; three of your top-9 for centermen (I presume he's talking about the present, not future)

3:00 Mason describes his play as rough and rowdy
  • Murray's physical reaction is priceless to that comment - enjoyed the description and one of the first things he noticed when seeing him in person this season
  • Gets involved, great complement to others on the team; big reason why Martin and Murray wanted him

4:03 Is Mason strictly a centerman for the Ducks, or be a wing?
  • Wants Mason as a centerman
  • Wants Trevor at center, but it might not work and might end up playing with Mason

That 4:03 bit should speak as much volume as with the three of your top-9 centermen that you highlight as significant negative on Mason. Murray didn't say Zegras would be centering Mason, which should elevate your perspective of Mason. Again, I think Murray was speaking in the present, not when Mason is in his prime. We aren't expecting him to be 1C. I don't think Zegras is 1C today, unless we ship out Rico before the season starts.

Again, with 7-8 prospects to choose from, the Ducks could have gone in several directions. The Ducks went with a forward, which automatically shuts down the BPA argument; Anaheim with BPA+need. C Beniers went 2nd overall. That left forwards C McTavish, LW Eklund, C/LW Johnson, and RW Guenther to choose from. Ducks were looking for goal scorers and the list dwindled down to Guenther and McTavish, with the mass media selecting Guenther to the Ducks. Between the two, Guenther brings goal scoring at wing. McTavish is a centerman who is also goal scorer (scored more points at the WJC-18 than Guenther), improved playmaking, plays physical, and brings leadership qualities.

Yes, Eklund is probably the best playmaker in this draft. Yes, Johnson probably has the highest ceiling in this draft. Anaheim chose this direction to help fill out the team from being too finesse-like while adding goal scoring talent who can play all three aspects of the game, ES, PP, and PK. McTavish's huge improvement in one season doesn't get enough credit. With actual confirmation that Columbus wanted McTavish at 5th overall, pushing Johnson down, tells us that Columbus thinks highly of McTavish. Oh, and then add in the Hovan podcast that shared the Ducks designated McTavish as a no-trade prospect for any potential Eichel deal should elevate McTavish in your eyes - not that it will change your mind, but rather lessen the negativity for the moment (like a year or two).

Reactions: Magnus the Duck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He has a good shot, it's not elite. He also needs to work on his overall offensive game so that the shot becomes more of a threat. Think about Ritchie - he had an ''elite shot'' but it was his only trick up his sleeve and it became irrelevant.
I do think McTavish is better than Ritchie, but the point still stands.

From all scouting reports, Mason has had an NHL-shot since age 16, and used it often in his D-2 season.

Is Ritchie the better goal scorer with his elite shot in his junior career?

(note: I'm using your reference that D-1 is the season a prospect is drafted)
Ritchie
  • D-3: OHL... 62 games, 16g + 23a = 39 pts
  • D-2: OHL... 41 games, 18g + 17a = 35 pts
  • .........WJC-18... 4 games, 1g + 3a = 4 pts
  • D-1 (2013-14): 67 games, 39g + 35a = 74 pts
McTavish
  • D-2: OHL... 57 games, 29g + 13a = 42 pts
  • D-1: NL-B (reg)... 13 games, 9g + 1a = 11 pts
  • ........ NL-B (post)... 4 games, 2g + 5a = 7 pts
  • .........WJC-18... 7 games, 5g + 6a = 11 pts
McTavish is the better goal scorer in his D-2 season between the two, often showing off that NHL-shot. While in the NL-B, Mason didn't show off his NHL-shot, but did show off he can score in front of the net on redirect/tip-ins. At the WJC-18, he showed he scored a variety of ways as well.

What point still stands?

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I suspect McTavish will play NHL games this season. More of an indictment on this roster than anything else, but I think he will make some noise on the PP in a bumper role with zegras.

Yeah, kinda like how the rest of our first rounders make their way onto our NHL roster in their draft year like Fowler and Lundy.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
From all scouting reports, Mason has had an NHL-shot since age 16, and used it often in his D-2 season.

Is Ritchie the better goal scorer with his elite shot in his junior career?

(note: I'm using your reference that D-1 is the season a prospect is drafted)
Ritchie
  • D-3: OHL... 62 games, 16g + 23a = 39 pts
  • D-2: OHL... 41 games, 18g + 17a = 35 pts
  • .........WJC-18... 4 games, 1g + 3a = 4 pts
  • D-1 (2013-14): 67 games, 39g + 35a = 74 pts
McTavish
  • D-2: OHL... 57 games, 29g + 13a = 42 pts
  • D-1: NL-B (reg)... 13 games, 9g + 1a = 11 pts
  • ........ NL-B (post)... 4 games, 2g + 5a = 7 pts
  • .........WJC-18... 7 games, 5g + 6a = 11 pts
McTavish is the better goal scorer in his D-2 season between the two, often showing off that NHL-shot. While in the NL-B, Mason didn't show off his NHL-shot, but did show off he can score in front of the net on redirect/tip-ins. At the WJC-18, he showed he scored a variety of ways as well.

What point still stands?
''Point still stands'' I meant that he has to develop other traits, like good vision and passing, so that opposing defenders have to respect that. The opposite was Ritchie who never developed other offensive tools and his shot became almost irrelevant.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
As I said, I do belive McTavish is better than Ritchie. My point was for one-dimension'ness.

McTavish at the worst can carve out a role of a grinder, that alone puts him above Ritchie level. However, McTavish could use a bit more advanced offensive arsenal that would leave opposing defenders guessing of what he will do. It would help him to become a more dangerous player. And for that, I think the best scenario would be for him to get a couple of games in the NHL and going back to the OHL after that, to try and refine his overall game.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
As I said, I do belive McTavish is better than Ritchie. My point was for one-dimension'ness.

McTavish at the worst can carve out a role of a grinder, that alone puts him above Ritchie level. However, McTavish could use a bit more advanced offensive arsenal that would leave opposing defenders guessing of what he will do. It would help him to become a more dangerous player. And for that, I think the best scenario would be for him to get a couple of games in the NHL and going back to the OHL after that, to try and refine his overall game.

Huh. It's as if his 2021 season (regular and post) in the NL-B as well as the WJC-18 didn't happen in your description of McTavish. That's what all of the other scouting media did except for a few, that kept McTavish in the 20's and 30's. Once they did the research, then all of them started to push him far higher, some with a +18 ranking improvement (Dobber Prospects) between a month's ranking.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

Totally agree with all of that. I thought he looled great at the rookie camp but im fully expecti g some seasoning in the ahl or ohl.

Oct 18, 2011

That's how you end up with Max Jones instead of Alex Debrincat, that said this team is soft and I am tired of it. Time to move back the other way

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Huh. It's as if his 2021 season (regular and post) in the NL-B as well as the WJC-18 didn't happen in your description of McTavish. That's what all of the other scouting media did except for a few, that kept McTavish in the 20's and 30's. Once they did the research, then all of them started to push him far higher, some with a +18 ranking improvement (Dobber Prospects) between a month's ranking.
He does have some skill, of course. He can dish the puck in some areas as well, but it needs to be improved and polished for the NHL level - he needs to seriously work on that. Not that he will not, but... yes, hoping he goes back to the junior.
Again, I'm not saying he's a bum or anything, but that he needs still some serious work (which is not unusual for a 18 year old kid, right)

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He does have some skill, of course. He can dish the puck in some areas as well, but it needs to be improved and polished for the NHL level - he needs to seriously work on that. Not that he will not, but... yes, hoping he goes back to the junior.
Again, I'm not saying he's a bum or anything, but that he needs still some serious work (which is not unusual for a 18 year old kid, right)

I get ya, but isn't that the same for all prospects? I guess with your reasonings, I get a feeling that he's only a physical 3C. Yet, if we bring up Eklund, then I expect there's a feeling of an elite player that McTavish doesn't even belong in the same stratosphere with Eklund. heh That's how I envision it when you say we didn't pick BPA and relegate him to a 3C who's barely better than Ritchie. hahaha We shipped Ritchie off for a middle-6 forward that we let go for free.

None of the 2021 draftees are done with their development. All the Michigan kids are returning. Eklund wants to stay in the SHL to work on his skating and shooting. I'd prefer McTavish to go to the NL-A than OHL because it's a higher quality of competition as well as against men. I was re-reading an old article about McTavish from the Athletic and I missed reading it the first time that McTavish was actually practicing with an NL-A team before the COVID shutdown and returned to NA to get ready for the OHL season. When the OHL wasn't going to start up, then he tried to go back to Switzerland in December, but he was stopped from traveling due to visa issues and him being under-18 when there were COVID lockdowns. Because he missed so much time between December to February, he went to the NL-B instead of the NL-A and played with fellow 2021 OHL draft prospect Othmann. A year in the NL-A will give us a better feel of how he'll do in the NHL than in the OHL. Overagers will always put up points in the OHL, so it's really not that impressive (See Steel's WHL stats after he was drafted).

With that said, I think McTavish will follow in the footsteps of Fowler and Lundestrom, unfortunately. First rounders who will find themselves in the NHL lineup because the Ducks lack the talent on the NHL club.

One very important aspect I like about McTavish is that he's self-driven moreso than others on top of his talent. Since we suck at developing forwards unlike how we develop defensemen, we need prospects with high talents and self-driven like a Zegras. McTavish fits that mold, but brings other elements that Zegras can't bring. I don't trust our forward development group, but I trust prospects who don't need a carrot to improve. Again, McTavish had the biggest improvement in the 2021 draft class and I'm hoping he continues that trend, whether it's at the OHL, NL-A, or NHL level.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I get ya, but isn't that the same for all prospects? I guess with your reasonings, I get a feeling that he's only a physical 3C. Yet, if we bring up Eklund, then I expect there's a feeling of an elite player that McTavish doesn't even belong in the same stratosphere with Eklund. heh That's how I envision it when you say we didn't pick BPA and relegate him to a 3C who's barely better than Ritchie. hahaha We shipped Ritchie off for a middle-6 forward that we let go for free.

None of the 2021 draftees are done with their development. All the Michigan kids are returning. Eklund wants to stay in the SHL to work on his skating and shooting. I'd prefer McTavish to go to the NL-A than OHL because it's a higher quality of competition as well as against men. I was re-reading an old article about McTavish from the Athletic and I missed reading it the first time that McTavish was actually practicing with an NL-A team before the COVID shutdown and returned to NA to get ready for the OHL season. When the OHL wasn't going to start up, then he tried to go back to Switzerland in December, but he was stopped from traveling due to visa issues and him being under-18 when there were COVID lockdowns. Because he missed so much time between December to February, he went to the NL-B instead of the NL-A and played with fellow 2021 OHL draft prospect Othmann. A year in the NL-A will give us a better feel of how he'll do in the NHL than in the OHL. Overagers will always put up points in the OHL, so it's really not that impressive (See Steel's WHL stats after he was drafted).

With that said, I think McTavish will follow in the footsteps of Fowler and Lundestrom, unfortunately. First rounders who will find themselves in the NHL lineup because the Ducks lack the talent on the NHL club.

One very important aspect I like about McTavish is that he's self-driven moreso than others on top of his talent. Since we suck at developing forwards unlike how we develop defensemen, we need prospects with high talents and self-driven like a Zegras. McTavish fits that mold, but brings other elements that Zegras can't bring. I don't trust our forward development group, but I trust prospects who don't need a carrot to improve. Again, McTavish had the biggest improvement in the 2021 draft class and I'm hoping he continues that trend, whether it's at the OHL, NL-A, or NHL level.
I do think Eklund was a better pick, yes. Heck, even Johnson maybe.
But not like a stratosphere better, no :laugh:

I think I'm affraid of drafting for a fit instead of a BPA. It's better when other teams do that so we can pick Fowler, for example :sarcasm:

Again, I'm happy to have McTavish, he will be a good center in this league. He is no McIlrath.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I think McTavish is better at almost everything than Ritchie when he was a prospect other than shooting. I think they had similar shots coming into the draft.

I wonder if McTavish can scrap.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I think McTavish is better at almost everything than Ritchie when he was a prospect other than shooting. I think they had similar shots coming into the draft.

I wonder if McTavish can scrap.
I would hope we'd want the 3rd pick in the draft to be on the ice, not taking fighting majors. If he is, I'll really be regretting we passed on Eklund.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I would hope we'd want the 3rd pick in the draft to be on the ice, not taking fighting majors. If he is, I'll really be regretting we passed on Eklund.
If its something like Jamie Benn or even Getzlaf holding people accountable I'm down, it's awesome having players that can beat you in multiple ways.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
If its something like Jamie Benn or even Getzlaf holding people accountable I'm down, it's awesome having players that can beat you in multiple ways.

Getzlaf, to me at least, was pretty much the ideal hockey captain in his prime since he could beat you on the scoreboard and in a fight. Players rally around those "warrior" type of players too.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Getzlaf, to me at least, was pretty much the ideal hockey captain in his prime since he could beat you on the scoreboard and in a fight. Players rally around those "warrior" type of players too.
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad