Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2021 Entry Draft, the Ducks select Mason McTavish

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Kent Johnson, he's a boom or bust prospect. People are always enamored with flash and Johnson possesses all that flash. He possesses elite skills, but his game at the NCAA level was not so elite. The problem was he was showing off his individual skills more than immersing it within a team system. A lot of his assists were secondary assists, as per the Scouching. You cite his BCHL production, but neglect it didn't translate to the NCAA level.

Anaheim has a prospect who scored 131 points in only 66 WHL games. He hasn't translated that game onto the NHL ice for the past three seasons. That player is Sam Steel.

Johnson is a project. If he develops his game within a team game, then he might be the best player in this draft because he's one of the few with elite individual skills. How do I put this... he's got great individual game IQ, but lacking in team game IQ, which gets him into lots of trouble.

IMO, Eklund and McTavish are on the same tier. Then comes the preference of playmaking wing or physically, goal scoring center. Both lack elite skating and both aren't flashy like Kent Johnson. Both played against men. As others have mentioned, the org likes late risers. Eklund's season started off with a blast and then tailed off, largely because he lost a strong center to play with. McTavish, otoh, started off slow in the NL-B, but skyrocketed his production and continued it into the playoffs. He was doing that as a winger. Then he showed off so much more at the WJC-18 as a center, while being team's heart and soul. What gives McTavish a bigger edge is that he had the biggest jump in improvement in his game out of all of the 2021 draftees, even bigger than Olen Zellweger's jump. There's another 2021 draftee that has a late rise to his game after he was traded mid-season to discover untapped offense in D Hinds.

McTavish's mature body really sets him up higher than Eklund, Johnson, and Beniers.

PlayerHeightInchesWeight (lbs)lbs/inch
Eklund5'10701722.46
Johnson6'1731682.30
Beniers6'1731742.38
McTavish6'2742072.80
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
His body is an asset because if he isn't scoring, then he will use his body to help change the game like he did in the WJC-18. His talents allows him to play in so many different situations. I know McTavish plays all three aspects of the game in ES, PP, and PK. Johnson didn't kill penalties. Beniers plays all three, but mostly more known for his defense. Eklund plays all three, but mostly known for his offense.

McTavish marries the offensive production of Eklund and Johnson, but also adds that physicality and defensive play like a Beniers. I think McTavish is probably the best goal scorer out of the bunch, though. Everything is a gamble, though, but I really like what McTavish brings to the table, which is a lot to help the team win. Murray kept citing he's a great complement to our prospects and that we don't have a player like him in our organization. And the latter is probably why the org chose him over Eklund and Johnson.

You truly will go to any length to keep hammering your opinion - which is just an opinion. The lbs/inch metric is just silly. First of all, lbs is not (necessarily) a metric of a "mature body" - some players are just fat/flabby/larger (hello Nick Ritchie, Dustin Penner and Pat Maroon). Beyond that, we are looking at 18 years olds, many of whom are still filling out. In fact, we know that McTavish is yoked due to weight training (brother in MMA), so its seems likely that he's more developed on that front and may actually plateau while others catch up in the next 5 years. This entire exercise is just silly.

I'm not bashing McTavish and on the whole, its great that he's strong and trains hard. But at this level, almost all of the players train hard. And there is literally no demonstrated correlation between lbs/inch and a successful player. If there were, Max Domi would be an all star (and his father a hall of famer).

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I think he turns out to be a Mark Scheifele.

Reactions: Masch78

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
How many comps to McTavisb have you made now?
A lot the more I watch, I watched the entire WJC18 tournament the last 3 days since I am moving... He needs to work on his stick handling and soften his hands up (a lot of passes hit his stick and it's not clean) but he does it all. He also took some HORRIBLE penalties in the gold medal game and 1 of them cost Canada a goal. His shot is unreal. He is super strong but I don't see him being much of a fighter more of a pain in the ass.

Zellweger was SUPER impressive during the tournament he actually stood his ground a couple times against much better players. Wright and Bedard are actually insane.

Guenther was barely noticeable. Clarke was really good.

If anyone wants to watch the WJC I got a torrent link for all.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
A lot the more I watch, I watched the entire WJC18 tournament the last 3 days since I am moving... He needs to work on his stick handling and soften his hands up (a lot of passes hit his stick and it's not clean) but he does it all. He also took some HORRIBLE penalties in the gold medal game and 1 of them cost Canada a goal. His shot is unreal. He is super strong but I don't see him being much of a fighter more of a pain in the ass.

Zellweger was SUPER impressive during the tournament he actually stood his ground a couple times against much better players. Wright and Bedard are actually insane.

So glad we didn't get Guenther, was really relieved when he wasn't picked by the Ducks. The pundits that had him going #3 overall were way off and he fell to #9 for a reason.

Day before the draft I really changed my mind about Guenther and did not want. Guenther is not the best at any 1 thing in his draft class, not the best shooter or passer or hockey IQ or Speed in the draft to be picked #3. He also is strictly a Winger.

The WHL being the weakest of the CHL didn't help his case either.
OHL>QMJHL>WHL. Steel and Mahura looked super good in the WHL.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Good point about his stickhandling and hands in general.
I think some problem lies in the fact that he is usually not even attempting to stop and slow the game down (think Getzlaf-type). He is very reactive. Some similarotoes to Jones but pbviously McTavish is a much better player at same age.
But yeah there are lot of things pointing to him being a middle 6 player

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
So glad we didn't get Guenther, was really relieved when he wasn't picked by the Ducks. The pundits that had him going #3 overall were way off and he fell to #9 for a reason.

Day before the draft I really changed my mind about Guenther and did not want. Guenther is not the best at any 1 thing in his draft class, not the best shooter or passer or hockey IQ or Speed in the draft to be picked #3. He also is strictly a Winger.

The WHL being the weakest of the CHL didn't help his case either.
OHL>QMJHL>WHL. Steel and Mahura looked super good in the WHL.
The Whl is actually the best of the three defensively I’d say

Kariya 9

Feb 28, 2014

With him needing to work on that much, I really don’t think he should play in the NHL this season.

Reactions: Kalv

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The Whl is actually the best of the three defensively I’d say
The WHL is still overall ranked below the OHL and QMJHL and Guenthers sample size was very small there as well.

Pretty hard to say what kind of player Guenther becomes, he could be a much faster Corey Perry in terms of offense or upgraded Nick Ritchie with better skating, IQ and work ethic.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Could McTavish just be loaned back to the ELB? I think it would be better playing with men rather than the junior league he was apart of.
Depends on if that league is played on Olympic ice. I'm not sure if it is, but if that's the case I'd rather he develop more on the NHL size rink.

Reactions: wraparound

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Scheifele isn't physical at all and doesn't play defense either. I think the O'Reilly/Kesler hybrid made more sense with the style McTavish plays.
I don't see an elite defensive forward from what I have seen through the full games I have seen (although its only 7 game sample size). I have seen an above average one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad