Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2021 Entry Draft, the Ducks select Mason McTavish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If only we could have had Scottish actor Graham McTavish announce the selection of Mason McTavish.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
he'll always be Dwalin to me.
The Hobbit reference.
Hopefully Mason MacTavish will be as good at hockey as Graham MacTavish is at acting, he's always in high demand for voice over work in games and cartoons.
Graham is gonna be in the prequel series to Games of Thrones and season 2 of The Witcher which are fantasy settings like Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The Hobbit reference.
Hopefully Mason MacTavish will be as good at hockey as Graham MacTavish is at acting, he's always in high demand for voice over work in games and cartoons.
Graham is gonna be in the prequel series to Games of Thrones and season 2 of The Witcher which are fantasy settings like Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit.
Very nice. He was pretty good in Outlander too.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Zegras on McTavish:
I don’t know if I’ve seen this player like this guy, man. He’s so big and so fast and so skilled. But he’s also responsible in the d-zone. He’s pretty much an all-around player. Obviously getting to watch him (Friday), I don’t want to say a bit mind-blown but he’s definitely way above what I thought he had. I think he was a little angry that he missed that first (attempt), so he told me he doesn’t miss twice. It was nice that he got the second one. It was awesome playing with him.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Pastujov on McTavish:
He’s an unbelievable player. So strong on his feet and strong on his stick. Good skill. Really, really strong. He’s good in the faceoff circle and he’s a reliable center. You saw defensively, we weren’t in our zone much. And in the offensive zone, he was all over the place making plays and creating space for myself and (Brayden) Tracey. It’s been awesome playing with him, practicing with him and getting to know him off the ice. It’s unreal.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I take Beniers over any forward in the draft witjoit question. Eklund is the only one who is close for me.

Beniers is a solid prospect but he just doesn't have the hands or talent of a 2nd or 3rd overall. Drafting him at 2 was a huge mistake and it would have been a mistake to draft him at 3 over McTavish either. Beniers may be more mature than McTavish or Eklund but he'll never be able to keep up with the other two or even guys like Johnson if they reach their potential. Nothing wrong with a safe pick like Beniers but not this early.

Having said that, I think that most forwards went too early in the 1st round. Eklund was the rare exception. Lots of good defenders taken too late as result. Surprising, but lots of teams were just desperate for Centers I guess.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
What’s your guys thoughts on where McTavish starts the year? What’re the odds he sticks with the Ducks?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
As someone that was not happy when he was picked, I am happier after seeing him yesterday.

Personally I hope the Ducks can draft another center so he can be glued to Zegras' wing.
One one hand, Comtois-Zegras-McTavish is a nasty line

on the other hand, McTavish being a center is so much more valuable than him being a winger.

I think/hope they try to keep him at center as long as possible

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I actually kind of hope that mctavish and comtois are a pair going forward with maybe terry on the right.

then maybe perreault and Jones can play with z and get easier matchups

I wonder if Tracey-McTavish-Pasta will be a line in the future? The way Pasta was recapping the night, it seemed as though that line had chemistry.

Tracey is already AHL bound, which means he'll be chomping at the NHL in a year or two. McTavish could be here this year, but at the latest is the following year as he'll probably pull a one-and-done like Zegras. Pasta might take the longest to get to the NHL. Although his skating is bad, his positioning on the ice to score goals is amazing... very Perry-esque. It's only one rookie camp game, though.

I do like keeping Zegras and McTavish on separate lines at ES, but I have no problem putting them together on the same PP unit.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
What’s your guys thoughts on where McTavish starts the year? What’re the odds he sticks with the Ducks?
I think there's a strong possibility he gets 9 games in with the Ducks. i'd be pretty surprised if he stays longer but you never know. We'll know more over the next couple weeks.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think there's a strong possibility he gets 9 games in with the Ducks. i'd be pretty surprised if he stays longer but you never know. We'll know more over the next couple weeks.

I don't know if he really needs the full 9 games but I agree a few games wouldn't hurt him to get to know the team, the staff, the league and everything around it and what it's like to be and live like an NHL player. I think he could maybe even stick around in a limited role but for him to get better, I think the Ducks have to let him return to the OHL. McTavish is incredibly consistent, solid both ways, has an NHL shot and in the slot he's much better than most NHLers already. Having said that, to play top6 Center at NHL level, McTavish's vision, playmaking and passing has to get a lot better. It's not bad and he showed flashes of brilliance there as well when asked to play in such a role but I think he was just mostly used differently lately and therefore really is more of a goal scorer right now. His skating does need a lot of work, too and would make it impossible for the Ducks to use him the way they should next season to have McTavish stick around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad