Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2021 Entry Draft, the Ducks select Mason McTavish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I just hope that the Ducks don't rush McTavish into the lineup. I think he could play in the NHL next year because the lineup is so lousy, though I believe he could use at least one more season of developing his skating and overall game before AHL or NHL time.
I feel like he’s the type of player you give a 9 game look too and let him feel it

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I’m not sure I’d want him up for too long because I think it could be difficult for him to add complexity to his game if he spends the entire season in the NHL. They really need to make sure he has every opportunity to develop into a top 6 guy.

Reactions: Hinterland and Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m not sure I’d want him up for too long because I think it could be difficult for him to add complexity to his game if he spends the entire season in the NHL. They really need to make sure he has every opportunity to develop into a top 6 guy.
Oh I agree but I don’t mind giving him a taste

Reactions: Kalv and Mr Rogers

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA
Ducks fans are generally low information and seeing the draft ranking vs the actual pick upset them. This draft was nearly a crapshoot, the entire first round could have been completely different. I like the McTavish pick and I think he’ll be a good goal scoring winger.

Reactions: Hinterland

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think 9 game stint is the best option here, let him taste the NHL but send to the OHL to develop his game more.

Looking at the schedule for the upcoming season, it's a bit of a grind for the first month - between the Oct 14th season opener to a November 14th game vs Vancouver, the Ducks will play 16 games in 32 nights.

If an 18 year old looks ready for an audition, I don't see any problem with dressing him for only 9 of those games. Still practicing with the big club every day and would be getting roughly the same amount of game action as in junior. Delays any decision on sending him down until it's almost time for WJC camp.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I feel like he plays a fairly simple game which imo should translate to hitting the nhl sooner than a small, soft and hyper skilled guy

I'm not so sure. His skating is better than many think it is but is still does need work. He also hasn't played a lot of Center lately and I think he would benefit from getting a real opportunity to score points at Center and become a better playmaker and passer, too. He probably could play soon or even immediately but I'm not sure if that would be ideal for his development.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I just hope that the Ducks don't rush McTavish into the lineup. I think he could play in the NHL next year because the lineup is so lousy, though I believe he could use at least one more season of developing his skating and overall game before AHL or NHL time.

I think that's been our systemic problem with our prospects in relation to our lineup since the big-3 of Eaves, Kelser, and Perry fell off the face of the planet with their injuries on top of the other injuries that beset the organization for the past few years. Poor Kase. We have prospect talent better than who we have left over at the NHL level. We rushed Lundy in his draft year to the NHL. We relied upon Steel to hold center for the past two seasons. We tried out Zegras in his D+1 year in the NHL/AHL. Drysdale was too damned good for the AHL as an 18-year old, but got worn down at the NHL level. Because we do lack talent at the NHL level, I think McTavish does have an opportunity to stick with the NHL club, unfortunately.

McTavish's body is NHL-ready, as per GM Murray in a post first round draft interview. Mason also has a history of being a prominent goal scorer, including in a men's league. He also has been good on the faceoff dot. Right now, our team is mostly finesse. He brings "I don't care who are, but you're on my turf" demeanor in his play, which is sorely needed in our top-9. There are many reasons for McTavish to make it with the NHL club. IMO, he's like Drysdale such that their talents are already better than the OHL, seeing how he helped turned the fortunes around for his NL-B team once he got acclimated.

With all that said, I would prefer that Mason hone his skills at center in the NL-A than in the OHL. Mason proved he was very good against his peers at the WJC-18. I want him to take a route that can acclimate him to the NHL faster. Going to the NL-A as a center is a better barometer than going back to the OHL. He's already a big fish in a small pond with his peers. I want him to be that small fish that becomes the big fish in a big pond at the NL-A.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm not so sure. His skating is better than many think it is but is still does need work. He also hasn't played a lot of Center lately and I think he would benefit from getting a real opportunity to score points at Center and become a better playmaker and passer, too. He probably could play soon or even immediately but I'm not sure if that would be ideal for his development.

Unfortunately, necessity makes for strange bedfellows, something the Duck fans have recently become accustomed with.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Ducks fans are generally low information and seeing the draft ranking vs the actual pick upset them. This draft was nearly a crapshoot, the entire first round could have been completely different. I like the McTavish pick and I think he’ll be a good goal scoring winger.

Thats a little bit harsh. Top 10 is superclose. I also like the pick a lot.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Some sure but on here I'd say it's more selective information. It's too far to say it was obvious but this shouldn't have been a big surprise if you were paying attention. Some people refused to.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Im not in any way saying he should be rushed, just that he plays a simpler game and therefore will probably be quicker to transition to the nhl, imo

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Here's his rookie year.

This is where you can see his NHL shot, although he does score in a variety of ways. Yet, it's proof at age 16 that he already possesses that NHL shot to blow past goalies.

The video I keep re-watching is the bigwhite06 YouTube cut-up with Button commentating. There's just a lot of skill, physical play, good skating, passing, and scoring. It's his great resume at center!

Then listen to this podcast from Elite Prospects' Mitch Brown

-1:02:14 mark: Talks about 2022 and 2023 guys; Best scorers of WJC and mentions McTavish
-0:52:00 mark: "best point getter" = Eklund love
-0:50:26 mark: "best shooters"; McTavish is the only true "dual threat"
-0:49:06 mark: "guy that does it all" = McTavish love
-0:39:18 mark: More McTavish deep dive.​

Reactions: Tiny Biggs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad