Prospect Info: With the 29th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Brayden Tracey

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Here is his highlight video. There are actually some very impressive clips in there. Although that is probably the worst goal horn I've ever heard.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Here is his highlight video. There are actually some very impressive clips in there. Although that is probably the worst goal horn I've ever heard.

That might be the most annoying goal horn I've ever heard. <<<<<< I actually typed this before I read that you said the same thing.

Kid looks good though. A lot of goals around the net.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Was hoping for Kaliyev, but Tracey sounds really promising. Even on a line that put up a lot of points, for a rookie season it's promising - really interested to see how he goes next season.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think anahiem is a big fan of hard work/late risers....

Which ia a good thing, usually means they are progressing which is what you want in the late 1st/2nd and on picks.

Reactions: Kalv

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I really like what I'm reading about this kid: it seems he has a notable scoring touch while being still raw, lots of potential there, he could be the classic "diamond in the rough". We went with one of the safest picks in the draft Zegras and one project in Tracey. I agree with those who said the description reminds of Perry: similar style, similar body frame, I can only wish he'll have the same scoring instinct.
Very interesting pick, he's three years away but we're not in a hurry.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I really like what I'm reading about this kid: it seems he has a notable scoring touch while being still raw, lots of potential there, he could be the classic "diamond in the rough". We went with one of the safest picks in the draft Zegras and one project in Tracey. I agree with those who said the description reminds of Perry: similar style, similar body frame, I can only wish he'll have the same scoring instinct.
Very interesting pick, he's three years away but we're not in a hurry.

Zegras is not a safe pick. Not even close imho.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
On the prospect boards a couple of the comments

- Wow Anaheim did their homework
- I think hell have a chance to be a star for the ducks

seems like a very underrated pick...

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Absolutely love this pick the more I read. It seems to me like he actually has a relatively high floor and a high ceiling. Can’t wait to see him at prospect camp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Absolutely love this pick the more I read. It seems to me like he actually has a relatively high floor and a high ceiling. Can’t wait to see him at prospect camp
we really just load up with fiery type that go to the dirty areas on leftwing.
Comtois, Ritchie, Jones tracey kinda seems to fit that mold a bit.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

The thing that impressed me with that clip was his ability to hang onto the puck for that crucial extra second before shooting or passing it. That's a trait that all the great players at the next level have

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This Tracey kid might have a skill level above all of them, but not quite the same physical tools
Yeah id agree with that. Im already super excited about this years draft results that I forgot about last years shitty season... but I still hope we can pick up a couple dmen gems in the middle rounds.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The thing that impressed me with that clip was his ability to hang onto the puck for that crucial extra second before shooting or passing it. That's a trait that all the great players at the next level have
Yeah I see that as well. He is very good in the small spaces. He seems to make the right decisions and gets passes through in tight. That should translate very well to the next level.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Wanted Lavoie here but the more I read on Tracey the happier I am.
This.

Tracey isn`t just a guy who relies on his shot. His passes are pretty great, he has the hockey IQ and understands what is going on on the ice.
In the higlights video he is finding guys in tough but better positions than him, he is aware of the goalie (he scored one from the back of the net), he still has a great shot that he uses here and there, he is able to put the puck in the net quickly even in tight areas, he is not a perimeter player, he hangs around the net are. He has many dimensions to his game, it`s quite exciting. He isn`t overpowering anyone like we saw with Etem (speed), Ritchie, Jones (both muscle), he is a winger that does many things great and it has made him successful. He is few years away, hopefully he can grow to 6`1, it`s clear he will add some muscle to the frame. Potentially he can be a great winger in the NHL that is very tough to defend and play against.

He doesn`t seem to be that Perry to me after all. They both have great understanding of what`s going on on the ice and hang around the net, but obviously Tracey is a better skater, but I don`t see him ever be that sneakily great as Perry.

I`m happy for this pick (still bitter that Lavoie was picked by Oil just before us tho) and am excited to follow him and see what will come out of him.
(Yeah next year it seems he will be the clear leader of that team, albeit the team itself might be below average)

Reactions: Mallard

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Was a bit curious as to who has won WHL ROY over the past 10 years or so.
2017-18 Dylan Cozens, Lethbridge
2016-17
Aleksi Heponiemi, Swift Current
2015-16
Matthew Phillips, Victoria
2014-15 Nolan Patrick, Brandon
2013-14 Nick Merkley, Kelowna
2012-13 Seth Jones, Portland
2011-12 Sam Reinhart, Kootenay
2010-11 Mathew Dumba, Red Deer
2009-10 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Red Deer
2008-09 Brett Connolly, Prince George*
2007-08 Brayden Schenn, Brandon

Not bad company for a 29th pick... obviously this doesn't say/prove anything just interesting to see who else has done it.

Reactions: Mallard

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Forwards only:

NameGoalsAssistsPoints
Braydon Tracey 3645 81
Dylan Cozens223153
Aleksi Heponiemi285886
Matthew Phillips373976
Nolan Patrick302656
Nick Merkley253358
Sam Reinhart283462