Prospect Info: With the 29th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Brayden Tracey

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like this pick in the sense that hes a couple years away from being on the roster I think(at least 2)…. and wee have a ton of wingers coming up this year and next year.... so its a nice project player that hopefully pays off in the long run.

Reactions: Kalv

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
He plays a very different style of game from our other wingers which I like. Most guys dont have development curves as steep as his. I like this pick.

Reactions: duckpuck

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Pronman:
May 28, 2001 | six-foot | 176 pounds

Tracey played his first full season in the WHL after playing Midget AAA as a 16-year-old. He was one of the best rookies in the league, working his way into a major offensive role on Moose Jaw’s top line and eventually Canada’s top power play at the U18s. Tracey is the kind of player who you want with the puck. He’s a creative offensive player with high-end, offensive hockey sense. He’s always looking to make a play, controls the puck well and sees his options very well. Sometimes he tries to do too much and can force pucks where the option isn’t available, but I like that he tries things. He’s got a lean body and can struggle versus bigger players, but he goes to the net, scoring a lot of goals this season around the tough areas. Tracey’s skating for me is so-so with a stride that lacks power and breaks down. He has enough speed to skate with pros but not challenge them. Some scouts like it and think, when his lanky frame fills out, he’ll be fine; but for me, he lacks that extra gear.

Canada U18 coach Brett Gibson on Tracey: “He’s an opportunistic shooter. He goes to the hard areas where goal-scorers score goals. His feet are a bit of a concern but hard to argue with his production.”

Team Fit: Tracey was a sudden riser this season, going from outside the WHL in 2017-18 to a top scorer as a U18 player. He’s a player who wouldn’t have lasted much longer than this slot as many teams were in on him. He adds a grit/skill combo to the Ducks’ now very deep group of forward prospects.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Outscored dach and krebs and a similar pace as cozens, them all being in their 2nd/3rd whl seasons, and him being a rookie.
His line was completely loaded, fyi. In Madden I trust but just wanted to give some context.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I thought of Tracey and Puistola as targets for the Ducks if they traded down since they really need more natural goal scorers and those two were considered to have the best hands and decent size. They must have had Tracey high on their list and hopefully his skating improves. He definitely fits the late blossomer profile. Funny how none of the local kids got picked up including Robertson, but our team rarely drafts small players in the 1st round.

I guess 39 is where we go for a Dman. Kolyachonok looks like the typical 2 way guy that we go for... maybe Struble too. Tuomisto has nice size but seems like more of a project but his size is nice and St Louis showed how effective they were with that big blue line.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
His line was completely loaded, fyi. In Madden I trust but just wanted to give some context.
Looking at Moose Jaw's stats, they had 3 forwards (including Tracey) and 2 defensemen that scored the majority of their points. The only returning players of those 5 will likely be Tracey and Jett Woo (a VAN defenseman). It will be interesting to see how they fare next season. Still impressive that Tracey worked his way up to the top line in his first year in the league, though.

EDIT: I see Jett Woo was traded to Calgary, so it looks like it's just Tracey.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

We'll soon find out what he's got as next season I don't think his line mates will not be available to play in the WHL due to age limits. But in his rookie year in the WHL, he had the highest goals scored, assists, and points scored as a rookie. He's gotta have some talent to do that unless that puck magically just pops into the back of the net or finds his line mates' sticks. LoL

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
We'll soon find out what he's got as next season I don't think his line mates will not be available to play in the WHL due to age limits. But in his rookie year in the WHL, he had the highest goals scored, assists, and points scored as a rookie. He's gotta have some talent to do that unless that puck magically just pops into the back of the net or finds his line mates' sticks. LoL
I really wasnt doggin him because I havent seen more than a few highlights. Just wanted to add context. I'm sure he was part of the reason why his linemates did so well as others and I am personally a big fan of guys who are trending in the right direction and young guys who are potentially undervalue because they were just born in the wrong month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad