Prospect Info: With the 29th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Brayden Tracey

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
That is some good company for sure. Even if he pans out on the low end of the NHL guys on that list I’d be pretty satisfied.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Didn't most of those other players had their rookie seasons in their D-2 seasons?

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Didn't most of those other players had their rookie seasons in their D-2 seasons?

Yes. Which is why he was not a top 10 pick like most of the others.

Very excited for this pick. I more judge his play in international play over his season in the WHL.

His line was stacked this year and next year his team will be pretty bad.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Regarding Lavoie, it seems to me that the ducks and many other teams put a premium on consistency and production where Lavoie was less than ideal. Lavoie has tantalizing measurables, but it remains to be seen if he will develop on the mental side - as I recall there may have been a similar knock on Getzlaf in his draft year.

Given that Edmonton drafted him, that doesn't bode well for Lavoie's development - I think he would have been better served going elsewhere. But if he figures it out, that will be a great pick.

Tracey seems to have a lower floor and probably a lower ceiling. But he has the work ethic and sand paper element, so the ducks can feel reasonably confident that he will reach his potential.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Remember that Lavoie missed qualifying for the 2018 draft by 10 days and that makes a difference. He had only an average regular season and didn't really take a step forward until the playoffs where he was great. Ducks obviously didn't see the upside in him compared to what they saw out of Tracey. We'll see in 3-5 years if they were right or not.

Reactions: Kalv

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I dont necessarily think Lavoie has a higher ceiling than Tracey. Lavoie seems allergic to passing the puck at times. Tracey has a higher hockey IQ imo. And his development curve is insanely steep which is promising.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I dont necessarily think Lavoie has a higher ceiling than Tracey. Lavoie seems allergic to passing the puck at times. Tracey has a higher hockey IQ imo. And his development curve is insanely steep which is promising.

Lavoie has a bigger frame (Getzlaf like), is skilled, and plays center. For me, that means he has a higher upside but for the reasons previously stated, seems like its a risky proposition that he reaches full potential. All other things being equal, I'd rather have a 1C than a top wing.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Would've been interesting if Lavoie got to 39, we coulda seen how they felt about him. What we do know, though, is that not only did they like Tracey more, they liked him so much more that they weren't willing to risk getting both, which mainstream rankings suggest was easily possible if not likely.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Lavoie has a bigger frame (Getzlaf like), is skilled, and plays center. For me, that means he has a higher upside but for the reasons previously stated, seems like its a risky proposition that he reaches full potential. All other things being equal, I'd rather have a 1C than a top wing.

I think Lavoie played RW as much as center in junior and will likely be a winger in the NHL. The fact that the Ducks passed on Lavoie in favor of Tracey was certainly not due to not watching him enough. They saw Halifax many times with Groulx and Morand on the team.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I think Lavoie played RW as much as center in junior and will likely be a winger in the NHL. The fact that the Ducks passed on Lavoie in favor of Tracey was certainly not due to not watching him enough. They saw Halifax many times with Groulx and Morand on the team.

The ducks didn't pass on Lavoie in favor of Tracey. Lavoie was picked by Edmonton immediately before Tracey. Obviously, they did pass on him at 9 and 29. To your larger point, I'm sure they did see him and no doubt based on all reports he has his flaws - like most second rounders.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Borrowed from the Oilers board regarding Lavoie fwiw

“He was only good for one period. I’ll say this though, he was really good in that period. “ - NHL Scout, October 2018

“He has talent but the compete level is not good. “- NHL Scout, December, 2018

“He is playing bad teams a lot and he isn’t exactly lighting up the league. The Sea Dogs and Acadie are like tier II teams and he’s invisible." - NHL Scout, December 2018

"I'd take Pelletier ahead of him.” - NHL Scout, December 2018

Between his lack of eye popping numbers given his tools and birthdate and everything else I’m hearing I'd have hard time taking him very early.” - NHL Scout, January 2019

“I have a story to tell you about my interview with him.” - NHL Scout, February 2019

“A lot of his skill is individual skill. He doesn't see the ice well and didn't make guys around him better. He isn't good at all defensively but the hope is you could fix that.” - NHL Scout, April 2019

“His defensive game stinks. He’s good with the puck on his tape but even that stuff is all one on one stuff. He doesn't make many plays off the rush or show creativity.” - NHL Scout, April 2019

"I'm not really a big fan.” - NHL Scout, May 2019

"I'd have no problem taking him later in the 1st round.“- NHL Scout, May 2019

“I’m not going to erase what I saw for six months for one month of good play.” HP Scout, Jérôme Bérubé, April 2019

“He’s been an interesting player all season long for me both on ice and getting feedback from a ton of Scouts. They gave me their thoughts of his game and several of them told me about their interviews
with him. We included a quote from one Scout above who told me all about his meeting with the player and he actually spoke to the coach as well. I wanted the player a bit less after getting feedback from him and other Scouts. “- HP Scout, Mark Edwards, April 2019

“He has tools but I don’t like the lack of compete so I'm guessing he’d be gone before I'd be willing to select him. I will give him props for a much stronger second half. All my live viewings were prior to February. I only saw him on video after that.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards, May 2019

“His Memorial Cup performance was representative of his regular season, a couple of nice flashes here and there but some disappearing acts as well. One of the most frustrating players I have scouted in years. The talent is there but too many question marks come with it.- HP Scout, Jérôme Bérubé, June 2019

“Had two scouts mention him to me as one of their weaker interviews.”- HP Scout, Mark Edwards, June 2019

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Remember that Lavoie missed qualifying for the 2018 draft by 10 days and that makes a difference. He had only an average regular season and didn't really take a step forward until the playoffs where he was great. Ducks obviously didn't see the upside in him compared to what they saw out of Tracey. We'll see in 3-5 years if they were right or not.
Damn, I missed this fact. Lavoie is 2000 (Sept) and Tracey is 2001 (May). Tracey doesn`t have the god given gift of a huge body like Lavoie but he has excelled using other tools and being kind of a late bloomer. Seeing his highlights I`m quite certain he was not a passenger on that ridiculously good line he was on.
Still would love Lavoie with #39, but the more I learn about Tracey, the more happy and confident about that pick I am.
He has 2 years of junior hockey and 2 years of WJC`s left in him (will see if he will be considered for the next one though) before going to San Diego. I`m excited.

Oct 18, 2011
I really don't think this pick is a reach it seems like he rose up the rankings as people started watching him more closely. I'm so glad we targeted skill in this draft

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I'm not totally sold on Tracey yet, but that doesn't mean I don't think this is a good pick. This year will reveal a lot, especially considering the exodus of talent from Moose Jaw.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Feels like a David Perron-type player, amazing in tight spaces. I'm curious about his stick length (dirtier than I intended), cause doesn't Perron have one of the shortest?

I hope he is as feisty as Perron, and that he is a MUCH better skater... I remember Perron played his best games against the Kings and was a competive beast.... but he always seemed to be losing his balance and accelerated barely faster than Maroon.... Perron had good offensive IQ and hands too and Tracey seems to have those qualities.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm not totally sold on Tracey yet, but that doesn't mean I don't think this is a good pick. This year will reveal a lot, especially considering the exodus of talent from Moose Jaw.

The higher up you go in hockey, it weeds out weaker talent. This would imply players will be playing with other talented players. With Tracey's rookie year, people think he rode off the backs of his linemates. What can Tracey do outside of his WHL linemates? Why not look at his production at the WJC-18? Tracey finished top-5 for Canada with 4 goals and 3 assists.

Canada U-18
1-T. Krebs: 6g + 4a = 10 pts
1-T. Newhook: 5g + 5a = 10 pts
3. Cozens: 4g + 5a = 9 pts
4. Rees: 2g + 6a = 8 pts
5-T. Tracey: 4g + 3a = 7 pts
5-T. Zary: 4g + 3a = 7 pts

link: Canada U18 at eliteprospects.com

I guess we can conclude that Tracey can produce with talented players around him. The Ducks will have those talented players when Tracey eventually makes his way to the NHL with Steel, Terry, Kase, Jones, Comtois, and Zegras.

Here's a quote from Habeyesontheprize (link: 2019 NHL Draft prospect profile: Brayden Tracey specializes in offensive finish )

Still, teams won’t look at him for his defensive capabilities. They will be interested in his ability to create offence, and most of all how he can complement other skilled players with his talent and push a line into dominant territory. His current performance at the U-18s should only improve his draft stock. He has been shining in a setting with a lot of other top draft-eligibles, and his offensive package might make him a first-round selection after all.

1.png

Reactions: Rasp

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I still think it was a mistake not going after Högländer with that pick. Nothing wrong with Tracey nevertheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->