Prospect Info: With the #24 pick, the Wild select (D) Filip Johansson (Allsvenskan, Leksands IF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So, we rather draft another Phillips or maybe a Portier or a Joe Morrow? Or a Jensen? Late 1st round picks can be hard to select. Getting a useful NHL player is a boon.
[mod]Who the f*** are Portier and Jensen? Why would anyone rather draft a bust? It's ok to make a bad pick because other people have made bad picks as well? How does any of this make any sense at all?

FTR- I would rather draft an impact player in the 1st round. Yes, I am aware that it doesnt always work out that way. If Filip Johannson doesn't play in the NHL until he is 23 years old, that will be a bad pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I always figured he'd have to step up to the SHL before he came over, but I suppose going from Allsvenskan to the AHL isn't really that much different than NCAA players doing the same.

SweLeafsFan

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden
In recent years the difference between Allsvenskan and the SHL is not as big as it was maybe 10 years ago imo. There are multiple examples of players going directly from Allsvenskan to the AHL or even the NHL. You should not freak out if he stays another year in Allsvenskan and I am not just saying that because I want him to stay and play for my beloved team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bottom line is that our first rounder is coming out of the gate terribly slowly. The fact that he was a huge reach makes it hurt even more.

SweLeafsFan

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden
Yes I can understand that. I was very surprised when he was picked in the 1st round, maybe that's why he has struggled this year too much pressure and unrealistically high expectations. Hopefully just a sophomore slump and he will be back on track next season.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
[mod]Who the **** are Portier and Jensen? Why would anyone rather draft a bust? It's ok to make a bad pick because other people have made bad picks as well? How does any of this make any sense at all?

FTR- I would rather draft an impact player in the 1st round. Yes, I am aware that it doesnt always work out that way. If Filip Johannson doesn't play in the NHL until he is 23 years old, that will be a bad pick.

Sorry; Poirier. Nick Jensen (Nicklas Jensen - Wikipedia). If Johansson makes it to the NHL even at 23 and provides good depth to the team, is that really a bust when those late 1st round picks are really hit or miss at that point? I'd be happy if Johansson turns out to be a solid top 6 defensemen for this team since this team continues to have problems with depth. Look at how many bad late first round picks there are that don't even become regulars in the NHL.

Why is it a bad pick if it takes him till 23 to become an NHL regular?

Reactions: Twoods1623

SweLeafsFan

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden
Filip Johansson and Leksand have been promoted to the SHL tonight. Unbelievable no one could have predicted this around Christmas time I am so happy right now. I look forward to seeing Filip in the SHL next year.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Russo recently talked to the GM of the Swedish national team, and the guy didn't even know who FJ was. Yikes.

Reactions: a79krgm

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Filip Johansson and Leksand have been promoted to the SHL tonight. Unbelievable no one could have predicted this around Christmas time I am so happy right now. I look forward to seeing Filip in the SHL next year.

How has FJo looked? Did he start to play better? Is he getting more playing time? What pairing is he? Etc

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if he only becomes a 3rd pair D i think that's a waste of a 1st. you can get college ufa's to fill 5,6,7 spots for free! top 4 or bust in my book. any word on his competition s Johansson?

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com

His statistics look horrible. Only 4 points in 47 games and third worse +/- on his team.

However, when I watched him this summer at the Wild prospect scrimmages I didn't have any big concerns. He didn't look any worse than
Nick Leddy when he was 18.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
His statistics look horrible. Only 4 points in 47 games and third worse +/- on his team.

However, when I watched him this summer at the Wild prospect scrimmages I didn't have any big concerns. He didn't look any worse than
That's what I keep coming back to as well. I know it was only two scrimmages, but I thought he was better than Belpedio and Mennell:dunno:

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

he has 3 points in 12 playoff games. trending upward

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think we’re setting ourselves up for disappointment if we expect or hope for him to be any better than Brodin is right now.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
If your gonna pick a kid that's off the boards then you should have inside info on him that other teams don't. Ricard Persson is the Wild's director of European scouting. (Incidentally, he's a Leksands alum ) ... I would like to know his connection to Johansson. I mean did he know his coach or his family? How many times did he watch him play? Did Guy Lapointe concur?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Says more about the GM than it does about Johansson. IMO
Yeah, to be honest I thought that was really odd. How could he not know who a Swedish kid drafted in the first round of the NHL draft was?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, to be honest I thought that was really odd. How could he not know who a Swedish kid drafted in the first round of the NHL draft was?

Because when he’s building his team for international tournaments he doesn’t care if a third round talent was taken in the first round by some NHL GM.

He’s also not playing in the SHL, he’s playing in Allsvenkan. And he’s not exactly playing prime minutes there either. And further, there’s probably like 10 better U20 Swedish defenseman, then when you start to include O20 guys as well, Johansson isn’t even on the radar.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Happy for you!

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Because when he’s building his team for international tournaments he doesn’t care if a third round talent was taken in the first round by some NHL GM.

He’s also not playing in the SHL, he’s playing in Allsvenkan. And he’s not exactly playing prime minutes there either. And further, there’s probably like 10 better U20 Swedish defenseman, then when you start to include O20 guys as well, Johansson isn’t even on the radar.
I suppose, but you'd think after hearing he went in the first round, that he would at least be on his radar as someone to scout a little more. Apparently not.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I suppose, but you'd think after hearing he went in the first round, that he would at least be on his radar as someone to scout a little more. Apparently not.

Well he probably has a team that handles scouting for him for the most part. If his team didn’t think FJo was someone worth considering further they probably wouldn’t have brought him up to the GM. I think where he was drafted in the NHL doesnt really change that system.

I mean I assume that’s how it works with the NHL too. Some GMs may be slightly more involved in scouting than others, but for the most part an NHL GM isnt going to know every defenseman out there eligible to be drafted or signed or what have you.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

I don't get paid to be a GM for USA hockey, and I'm sure neither guy is in the plans for team USA this year, but I follow USA hockey closely enough to know who Bode Wilde and Mattias Samuelsson are.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't get paid to be a GM for USA hockey, and I'm sure neither guy is in the plans for team USA this year, but I follow USA hockey closely enough to know who Bode Wilde and Mattias Samuelsson are.

That doesn’t mean much in regard to the conversation. But I’m happy for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad