Prospect Info: With the #24 pick, the Wild select (D) Filip Johansson (Allsvenskan, Leksands IF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
So taking suter high in the 1st as a shut down defender was stupid? he isnt known to score a **** load of goals.

Do we rate Suter as a shut down defender? Isn't he more of a two-way guy? Have around .50 or more every season since his first registered year on EP.

Anyway, as stated above. You don't use your #24oa pick on a shut down D when your team is in desperate need of top 6 centers both now and down the line.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Do we rate Suter as a shut down defender? Isn't he more of a two-way guy? Have around .50 or more every season since his first registered year on EP.

Anyway, as stated above. You don't use your #24oa pick on a shut down D when your team is in desperate need of top 6 centers both now and down the line.
and how many 24oa or later C picks become a top 6 C? if you can get a shut down defender you get him. I am not sure how Suter is not considered a shutdown defender but if you wanna go that route as stated above by i believe akl, Brodin was taken 10th oa and is a shutdown defender.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
do we know or have a guess when FJ1 & SJ2 will come over to iowa?

He has a contract through the 2019-20 season with Leksands. He’ll most likely come over after that. Fenton, shortly after the draft, seemed to think he’d go straight to the NHL but let’s be honest no one is holding their breath for that.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
do we know or have a guess when FJ1 & SJ2 will come over to iowa?
It was sounding like F Johansson might be over in Iowa next year, but I think his team being promoted staved that off. So he'll probably be in Sweden next year and Iowa for 2020-21.

No idea on S Johansson.

Reactions: AKL

Wabit

May 23, 2016
24oa isn't likely to be an instant team fix, so you take the the top player on your draft board. It might be 3+ years before he ever sees NHL ice, teams change in that time span. Getting a 2nd pair d-man or a middle-6 FWD out of whoever is picked makes it a good pick, anything more is a bonus.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
24oa isn't likely to be an instant team fix, so you take the the top player on your draft board. It might be 3+ years before he ever sees NHL ice, teams change in that time span. Getting a 2nd pair d-man or a middle-6 FWD out of whoever is picked makes it a good pick, anything more is a bonus.

24oa is obviously not a instant team fix, and it is ok to take a shut down defender if that is the BPA. But it wasn't, not then and definitely not now.

I'm guessing Fenton sees s lot of pride in this pick, so he'll get plenty of chances to suck before getting thrown out.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
24oa is obviously not a instant team fix, and it is ok to take a shut down defender if that is the BPA. But it wasn't, not then and definitely not now.

I'm guessing Fenton sees s lot of pride in this pick, so he'll get plenty of chances to suck before getting thrown out.

Then it's an error of individual player selection, not player type or position selection.

He has plenty of time to improve. SHL next year, then to the AHL for a year or two. If it's 2, then he's still only 22 when he starts his first NHL year.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

He had to be the top player on GMPF's draft board, it's really the only way to explain the pick. I'm not a fan of the pick, but I do have some respect for the GM taking the top guy on his board.

It's been a year now, I'm over the position of the pick. Now it's the kid will succeed or fail in the upcoming years. Only time will tell.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
He had to be the top player on GMPF's draft board, it's really the only way to explain the pick. I'm not a fan of the pick, but I do have some respect for the GM taking the top guy on his board.

It's been a year now, I'm over the position of the pick. Now it's the kid will succeed or fail in the upcoming years. Only time will tell.

I guess thats the right way of looking at it. I just can't seem to let it go. It made me so pissed on the day. And it still does. But i'll try and let it be, and just let him do his thing. It's not his fault that Fenton drafted him to high.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The pick is always going to irk me unless Johansson significantly outperforms expectations.

He wasn’t even the highest rated defender on the board, so from my perspective, it was one of two things:

1) Fenton trying to flex his scouting nuts in his first draft, trying to hit on a diamond in the rough.
2) Fenton doesn’t plan on bringing Spurgeon back and was going for a replacement.

Either way, both are concerning. I simply can’t believe Fenton thought this kid was truly the BPA.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Keep the Johanssons in Sweden till they are ready to play NHL, albeit with a couple of months seasoning in the AHL.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think if you can just get an NHLer late in the 1st round that’s a win. See: Zack Phillips.

Which is the wrong approach to drafting. Sacrificing skill and upside to draft the “safe” guy. Isn’t that what we all complain about on a daily basis?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Which is the wrong approach to drafting. Sacrificing skill and upside to draft the “safe” guy. Isn’t that what we all complain about on a daily basis?

Busting completely on a 1st rounder is worse than than taking a guy who will be a NHLer. (FJ could still end up in either of those categories)

I also wouldn't classify FJ as a "safe pick" by any means.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Busting completely on a 1st rounder is worse than than taking a guy who will be a NHLer. (FJ could still end up in either of those categories)

I also wouldn't classify FJ as a "safe pick" by any means.

I’d rather take the guy with the higher ceiling than the higher floor.

And you’re right. He isn’t a “safe pick”, he’s a bad pick. Because he doesn’t have the high floor or the high ceiling.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's the difference between hope and expectations. You can always hope that they guy that you take in the 20's is going to the turn out to be Pastrnak or Kuznetsov, but getting a good 3rd line/pair player is actually a lot more in line with what should happen.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's the difference between hope and expectations. You can always hope that they guy that you take in the 20's is going to the turn out to be Pastrnak or Kuznetsov, but getting a good 3rd line/pair player is actually a lot more in line with what should happen.

Yeah but the idea should be that you should always be aiming for a Pastrnak or Kuznetsov, and not aiming for a bottom 6 or bottom pair guy.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That’s not what I mean. I mean the odds of getting someone who is a legit nhl player after the first 15 picks drops off dramatically regardless of if they are safe or not.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That’s not what I mean. I mean the odds of getting someone who is a legit nhl player after the first 15 picks drops off dramatically regardless of if they are safe or not.

Yeah but the mentality of “just getting an NHL player after 15 is a win” leads to the idea or the strategy of drafting safe after that to just get a player instead of trying to get the best player.

My line of thinking is that you can generally get middle six or bottom four defenseman through FA, trading, etc. When you draft, it should always be for the guys you can’t get. The Kuznetsovs, Pastrnaks, Points, etc

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Personally (my own personal taste), I tend to value how much ice time one player can eat up as an important metric to look at. So sure, while a defenseman like Brodin who can only produce 2o points in a full 82 game season, he plays 18mins a night as a top four d-man.

So as you fall down into the draft, finding a shutdown top four defenseman is an absolute great pick. Brandon Carlo would be another great pick.

Now, the question is if Filip Johansson can turn into a top 4 guy, but yes, I would spend a 24 overall pick with that specific expectation, even with his low offense projection.

EDIT: But this is also taken in a vacuum. That is assuming there are no other prospects that have similar projections but can also bring in more offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->