Prospect Info: With the (2013) #46 pick, the Wild select (D) Gustav Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nothing bad, just usual rookie stuff. I think Prosser was playing with him? That's not an easy road.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Haven't watched him, but browsing through Iowa's stats Olofsson & Reilly are head-and-shoulders outscoring other players on Iowa's D-corps.

Although, Reilly's putting up better numbers than Olofsson. Wonder if they're on a pairing together?

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Haven't watched him, but browsing through Iowa's stats Olofsson & Reilly are head-and-shoulders outscoring other players on Iowa's D-corps.

Although, Reilly's putting up better numbers than Olofsson. Wonder if they're on a pairing together?

Looking through Iowa's announced starters the D-pairs I've seen since christmas:

Reilly-Olofsson

Warner-Olofsson (2 times)

Reilly-Weber (3 times)

Palmquist-Weber

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I expect Reilly to put up better numbers than Olofsson. He's an Offenseman like Dumba.

When Olofsson was up here briefly he seemed very thin and easily pushed around. You expect that when they are 19 or 20, but I would hope to see him fill out a bit. At least he isn't getting injured, and is still playing. For some reason I have he and Reilly pencilled in as a future NHL'ers. Hope I'm not wrong.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I expect Reilly to put up better numbers than Olofsson. He's an Offenseman like Dumba.

When Olofsson was up here briefly he seemed very thin and easily pushed around. You expect that when they are 19 or 20, but I would hope to see him fill out a bit. At least he isn't getting injured, and is still playing. For some reason I have he and Reilly pencilled in as a future NHL'ers. Hope I'm not wrong.

One thing I liked about Olofsson's game was that he never made a stupid play. Reilly turned over the puck endlessly. Olofsson made smart plays and passes all night; reminded me of Brodin.

It's interesting how his game adapts. Seeing him play in college (and how AHL) he's capable of playing an offensive game. I hope we see the same level of progression when he eventually makes the NHL jump.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's like Dumba v Brodin and Reilly v Oloffson are one of the same :)

Exactly.

Reilly has all kinds of talent. He's not as strong as Dumba, and doesn't have the bomb, but is probably all round better skater and puck handler. Both have massive attacks of cerebral flatulence in their own ends. Seem to have trouble making the quick, safe decision. It's been the curse of Offenseman through the ages, whether it be JC Tremblay, Paul Coffey, Phil Housley.

I would love to sit those two down and have them watch endless tapes of Ray Bourque. He had all kinds of offensive talent, but was able to make the simple play when it was called for, and knew when to pick his spots for more ambitous moves.

I have no clue about Olofsson. I've probably seen him play abut 20 minutes total? I thought he looked a bit overwhelmed when I saw him play early this year, but that's normal for a rookie. I hope he doesn't turn into the defensive version of Brett Bulmer. At least he's been healthy so far this year.

It is Wild World

Dec 28, 2016
Somalia
I am still kinda excited about Olofsson. He is typical Swede, lanky, good skater, and thin according to Coach Boudreau. Lol

The guy I really like to see up sometimes is the strong Minnesota farm boy, Hunter Warner. He is like 6'4" 220 punisher Dman.

I know The Wild coaching stuff were gushing about him and his potential as big, physical Dman manning the blue line in the future.

It seems we have stack piling quality d corps everywhere you look.

Hopefully we can get Kaprizov, Greenway, Tuch, oloffson, and Warner join the big club together along with the veteran core consisting of Nino, Coyle, Granny et el

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I am still kinda excited about Olofsson. He is typical Swede, lanky, good skater, and thin according to Coach Boudreau. Lol

The guy I really like to see up sometimes is the strong Minnesota farm boy, Hunter Warner. He is like 6'4" 220 punisher Dman.

I know The Wild coaching stuff were gushing about him and his potential as big, physical Dman manning the blue line in the future.

It seems we have stack piling quality d corps everywhere you look.

Hopefully we can get Kaprizov, Greenway, Tuch, oloffson, and Warner join the big club together along with the veteran core consisting of Nino, Coyle, Granny et el

I love our veteran core of 24 year olds :yo::yo::yo::yo:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
This guy is NHL ready but sits behind Suter, Brodin, Scandella... Fighting with Reilly for injury callup.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So if Hunter Warner was from Saskatchewan rather than Minnesota, would he be even worth a mention? Folin is plenty strong back there for us.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
this guy is putting up a lot of points down in Iowa. Has just one less than Tuch, and the same amount as Lucia (20 in 43 GP). IMO, not what we really need from him, but if that indicates he can handle the puck well that's a positive. I do hope he is good defensively, also. It would be disturbing to me if he is yet another Dman of the Dumba/Reilly variety. I'm profiling here, but was hoping for more of a Brodin type.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
this guy is putting up a lot of points down in Iowa. Has just one less than Tuch, and the same amount as Lucia (20 in 43 GP). IMO, not what we really need from him, but if that indicates he can handle the puck well that's a positive. I do hope he is good defensively, also. It would be disturbing to me if he is yet another Dman of the Dumba/Reilly variety. I'm profiling here, but was hoping for more of a Brodin type.

Well someone on the defense has to pick up points. 5g, 15a (.47 PPG) aren't world beating numbers, they look like normal top-pair, all situations, d-man numbers at most levels.

Reilly has 4g, 11a in 14 less games (.52 PPG), for comparision. The next closest d-man has 7 points.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

In a way. More of a 2-way dman than Brodin. More offense, not as good on defense (not many are).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Olofsson isn't making much of a case for sending him back down. He wasn't perfect, but he looked pretty good defensively, and he is pretty good with the puck. Seems to play a smart, aware, game.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'm liking him. For a while I was worried his career would be most to injury, but he's impressive.

Made a nice play on Benn tonight.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He's having himself a good run so far. Small sample size, and he hasn't ever played a full season.

I'm waiting to see how he holds up after 82 games (AHL+NHL) this year. He's out played Folin and Prosser the last couple of games, rookie mistakes and all.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
I thought hes looked really good. Definitely think he should be kept around as our #6 D-man when Brodin and Dumba come back based on what we've seen.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought hes looked really good. Definitely think he should be kept around as our #6 D-man when Brodin and Dumba come back based on what we've seen.

Well, we still need to see more of him, but he seems to have top 4 puck handling skills. Because of the ability to send him down w/o having to clear waivers, and his handedness I don't see him supplanting Folin/Prosser.

Scandella/Dumba and Olofsson/Brodin might be interesting. I actually like Brodin playing with offensively inept players like Prosser and Folin as it forces him to be more assertive with the puck, but I would like to see how he and Olofsson get along as a pair.

Cautiously optimistic here.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think the interesting thing with Olofsson is that he can play in the bottom pair with Dumba, Folin, or Prosser. Reilly can't do that.

Fletcher & Co. have got to be considering that when looking at trading Scandella. Do they just go, "we can get back a protected young RD, slot Brodin into the #3, Olofsson into the bottom-pairing, lose Dumba to Vegas, but gain the cap space needed to re-sign Granlund and Nino. That sounds ok."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad