With the 14th overall selection in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins select…

Who would YOU take with the Penguins pick?

• Matthew Wood-LW/C/RW

• Nate Danielson-C

• Riley Heidt-LW/C/RW

• Axel Sandin Pellikka-D

• Colby Barlow-LW

• Trade the pick for- (insert your player trade)

• Brayden Yager-C

• Andrew Cristall-LW

• Ryan Leonard-C

• Other-

• Trade up/down- (insert your deal)

• Eduard Sale-RW

• David Reinbacher-D

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
On the flip-side, that gives a great illustration of why just following consensus rankings isn't always going to work out... almost everyone had Kapanen ranked higher than Pastrnak in the 2014 draft.
McKenzie's final rankings had Kapanen at 11th, with Pastrnak at 22nd.

(Well, okay, if all the teams had followed that, it would have worked out pretty well for the Pens, but if the first 21 picks went the same way, and the Pens just followed the consensus? Likely would have still ended up with Kapanen).

Hindsight, as they say, is 20/20.
So Stenberg it is! :bb:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
On the flip-side, that gives a great illustration of why just following consensus rankings isn't always going to work out... almost everyone had Kapanen ranked higher than Pastrnak in the 2014 draft.
McKenzie's final rankings had Kapanen at 11th, with Pastrnak at 22nd.

(Well, okay, if all the teams had followed that, it would have worked out pretty well for the Pens, but if the first 21 picks went the same way, and the Pens just followed the consensus? Likely would have still ended up with Kapanen).

Hindsight, as they say, is 20/20.
Sure, like I said; roll of the dice, hope you blind luck into someone who is *actually* the BPA with your pick.

Reactions: Freeptop

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I will be irate if teams just gift Michkov to the Caps…I will be more irate than I will be over whomever the Pens pick lol…

Seems like theres alot of competition above the caps to get Michkov. Flyers want him and are trying to trade up from #6 to get him.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
FWIW, the reports are multiple teams are looking into potentially moving up so I don't know if Michkov makes it to the Caps' pick, but if he does, I'd be flat out f***ing astonished if he wasn't picked there. Seems as much of a complete lock as it gets. :laugh:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
FWIW, the reports are multiple teams are looking into potentially moving up so I don't know if Michkov makes it to the Caps' pick, but if he does, I'd be flat out f***ing astonished if he wasn't picked there. Seems as much of a complete lock as it gets. :laugh:
i would not be surprised if the cap's are not looking to move up just to make sure.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
RD makes sense and I do like Wood as Pens have zip size on RW in the system. I just don't want another smallish left wing or center. OK with the center with Ok size and RH shot. If none of RH D or the RH center or Wood are there, trade down for more picks.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I will be irate if teams just gift Michkov to the Caps…I will be more irate than I will be over whomever the Pens pick lol…

Doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen. Now that teams are getting a chance to meet the kid, they’re interested. GMs are so fickle. You can tell from the tape that he’s the 2nd best prospect in the draft all the rest is just noise and BS.

I still think he goes top 3. Whether that means Verbeek or Jarmo have have the combination of brains and stones to pick him or someone comes in over the top to move up.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Obviously you take the best available player, if things are fairly equal then you go with a center. But I would go with a forward over defenseman unless there's a huge disparity in ability.

No just think we make the playoffs we get into the Eastern Conference Finals and get trounced we'd be picking what 27th 28th 29th? LOL yeah those days are over now kids. We're going to be getting some juicy picks over the next few years, can you taste it?

Reactions: The Old Master

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Gabe Perreault would also be nice. His position is all over the board. Some as high as #10, others in the 20s.

Benson would absolutely great and I wouldn't hate Matthew Wood. Honzek would be an interesting pick as well. That would very "Tom Wilson-esque" given the talent on the board.

I am iffy on Yager. I mean, if we get him, great but I want to avoid the "well he's a project that we HOPE pans out in 5 years". That was more or less the outlook on Poulin. It's a waste if that's the case. I have yet to read anything "definitive" on Yager. A lot of question marks. I mean, "good" question marks but question marks never-the-less.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen. Now that teams are getting a chance to meet the kid, they’re interested. GMs are so fickle. You can tell from the tape that he’s the 2nd best prospect in the draft all the rest is just noise and BS.

I still think he goes top 3. Whether that means Verbeek or Jarmo have have the combination of brains and stones to pick him or someone comes in over the top to move up.

I don't think CBJ will do it as their schedule says compete now, but Anaheim makes a ton of sense.

I've got to say though that I'd be super excited to pick one of Fantilli, Carlsson or Smith. Centres who can create without slacking on their defensive duties are the most important foundational piece. I don't blame any GM who's looking at them and Michkov's timeline and edging towards the C.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Would be estatic with Gulyayev, Benson or Moore

I like Wood, Yager, Ritchie, Brindley, Stenberg (shocking Brindley’s not a lock for the teens imo) all a lot

Indifferent about ASP, Willander, Simashev, Sale

Wouldn’t be that happy with Perreault, Barlow, Danielson

I also don’t claim to know much about this years crop so take it with a grain of salt.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I don't think CBJ will do it as their schedule says compete now, but Anaheim makes a ton of sense.

I've got to say though that I'd be super excited to pick one of Fantilli, Carlsson or Smith. Centres who can create without slacking on their defensive duties are the most important foundational piece. I don't blame any GM who's looking at them and Michkov's timeline and edging towards the C.
They’re great players, for sure, but to me Michkov is a tier above them. He’s a lot closer to Bedard’s level than theirs.

To me the tiers are:
Bedard
Michkov

Fantilli

Carlsson

Like half a dozen players

To me, when you’re picking in the top 5, you should just go for the best prospect. Your team obviously is flawed enough that you need help everywhere.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They’re great players, for sure, but to me Michkov is a tier above them. He’s a lot closer to Bedard’s level than theirs.

To me the tiers are:
Bedard
Michkov

Fantilli

Carlsson

Like half a dozen players

To me, when you’re picking in the top 5, you should just go for the best prospect. Your team obviously is flawed enough that you need help everywhere.

Oh, no argument about talent. I just look at cup winners, and what the guys with the most talent are doing, and I have questions about the best thing to do with a franchise. Although I guess Tampa with Kucherov are an excellent example of a winger-led team (in terms of talent)

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Oh, no argument about talent. I just look at cup winners, and what the guys with the most talent are doing, and I have questions about the best thing to do with a franchise. Although I guess Tampa with Kucherov are an excellent example of a winger-led team (in terms of talent)
With Michkov not coming over for 3 years, the team that takes him is likely still going to suck for a bit. Get your center next year or the next and then when Michkov comes over ready to dominate your rolling.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'll be happy with Moore but I think I'd be more excited to take guys whose hands project to offer a bigger potential ceiling.

Reactions: The Old Master

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad