With the 14th overall selection in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins select…

Who would YOU take with the Penguins pick?

• Matthew Wood-LW/C/RW

• Nate Danielson-C

• Riley Heidt-LW/C/RW

• Axel Sandin Pellikka-D

• Colby Barlow-LW

• Trade the pick for- (insert your player trade)

• Brayden Yager-C

• Andrew Cristall-LW

• Ryan Leonard-C

• Other-

• Trade up/down- (insert your deal)

• Eduard Sale-RW

• David Reinbacher-D

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Then trade Sid, Geno, and Letang. Why did we bother re-signing them for this half-ass approach?
To generate revenue and put people in the seats? Oh my gosh you're not so gullible that you actually believe this team is a contender are you? It's a smoke screen. For the record I'd love to get rid of those dinosaurs. But they just won't do it, so the next best thing is to keep the relics around make people like you happy but behind the scenes build through the draft and acquire Young prospects.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Summers will be the highlights of the Pittsburgh Penguins for the foreseeable future. So this draft along with the next five or six will be very very meaningful to someone like myself. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds. This is the start of a new generation of young Talent and we will rebuild and in five or six years we'll actually have a competitive team, well maybe.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Is there any tiered ranking available for the first round? Or can anyone with knowledge of the draft provide their own. Curious to see the drop offs between players

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Keep the pick. It's more valuable to this team with where they're at than it is as an asset to acquire immediate help. No, the odds aren't good that the team lands an impact NHLer, but with the 14th overall you're probably looking at somebody like Connor Garland coming back and I'd rather roll the dice and hope for blind luck than land yet another middle-6, undersized guy who is good for 40-50pts on a $5 million AAV deal. :laugh:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
TSN mock draft had the Pens taking Brayden Yager at 14th. Good two-way game, but at 5'11 and only 170 lbs. I'm not sure how well being a shutdown center at the NHL would translate to that size.
that is a big if. but this is the year to take that chance.:nod:

Button has Benson going to Buffalo right before us. Then Danielson and Perreault going right after we take Yager.
as he should.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
:help:in a matter of a few days i may have a need to delete a lot of my latest posts. what's the best/quickest way to do that? or can I count on all of you having very short memories?:laugh:

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Is there any tiered ranking available for the first round? Or can anyone with knowledge of the draft provide their own. Curious to see the drop offs between players
t1.PNG

t3.PNG

t4.PNG

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Lots of talk about Benson falling because of his size. I wonder if this team takes a chance if he ends up getting to 14.

Realistically, I think it might end up being between Wood and ASP.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Lots of talk about Benson falling because of his size. I wonder if this team takes a chance if he ends up getting to 14.

Realistically, I think it might end up being between Wood and ASP.
really like the kid, he is small but with his skating there should not be a problem, (they can't hit what they can't catch) think MSL. not sure how well he would fit on the pen's though. normally you would tweak the system so he does, but we still have sully.
between wood and asp, i would have to go with asp. rd are always a need. and wood even though he could be a very good one, with not-so-great skating and him playing soft for a big guy, a good coach could coach him out of that but sully would only enforce that. so i would stay away from him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
really like the kid, he is small but with his skating there should not be a problem, (they can't hit what they can't catch) think MSL. not sure how well he would fit on the pen's though. normally you would tweak the system so he does, but we still have sully.
between wood and asp, i would have to go with asp. rd are always a need. and wood even though he could be a very good one, with not-so-great skating and him playing soft for a big guy, a good coach could coach him out of that but sully would only enforce that. so i would stay away from him.

Benson isn’t really a great skater.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
From EP about Wood:

"Still, the skating is grim. That much hasn’t changed. It was every bit as sluggish at the U18s to close out the year as it was at Hlinka Gretzky that started it. And it affects every part of his game. Any hope of a top-six projection rests on at least a full-grade improvement in this regard over the next two or three seasons."

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've learned never to get attached to a prospect or to hope/pencil in that prospect because every single year the Pens end up taking someone off the board who I either have never heard of or someone I didn't want them to take because of shitty upside.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I've learned never to get attached to a prospect or to hope/pencil in that prospect because every single year the Pens end up taking someone off the board who I either have never heard of or someone I didn't want them to take because of shitty upside.
and yet for some reason i comeback every year hoping for something deferent. :cry:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

@steelcityassault gave you Wheeler's tiers. This is Pronman's

1 (Bubble Generational) - Bedard

2 (Elite) - Fantilli, Michkov

3 (All Star) - Carlsson, Smith

4 (Top of the lineup) - Reinbacher, Danielson, Dvorsky, But, Simashev

5 (Bubble top/middle) - Leonard, Perreault, Honzek, Wood, Willander, Yager, Benson, Edstrom, Moore, Barlow

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I've been saying the whole time--*someone* highly regarded is going to go into a free fall. It's just a roll of the dice as to whether it's someone who ends up being good after development.

Just cross your fingers and hope this team dumb lucks into a gem and we look back in 5ish years and say "yeah, they made the correct pick" as opposed to looking back with disdain as they pick a Kapanen over Pastrnak or something. :laugh:

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, I've been saying the whole time--*someone* highly regarded is going to go into a free fall. It's just a roll of the dice as to whether it's someone who ends up being good after development.

Just cross your fingers and hope this team dumb lucks into a gem and we look back in 5ish years and say "yeah, they made the correct pick" as opposed to looking back with disdain as they pick a Kapanen over Pastrnak or something. :laugh:

On the flip-side, that gives a great illustration of why just following consensus rankings isn't always going to work out... almost everyone had Kapanen ranked higher than Pastrnak in the 2014 draft.
McKenzie's final rankings had Kapanen at 11th, with Pastrnak at 22nd.

(Well, okay, if all the teams had followed that, it would have worked out pretty well for the Pens, but if the first 21 picks went the same way, and the Pens just followed the consensus? Likely would have still ended up with Kapanen).

Hindsight, as they say, is 20/20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad