Prospect Info: With the 10th overall pick the Anaheim Ducks select Nicholas Ritchie

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I would guess that Ritchie is going to have a full year in the AHL to play with Kerdiles, Wagner etc. He has not proven anything yet against men, and there is no room for him at the NHL level next year unless we make some trades for draft picks. I would assume it would be similar to Bobby Ryan, and they want him to dominate the AHL first.

In no particular order even if we don't sign Beleskey, here are the top 8 wingers. plus the AHL players that he may have to pass.

Perry
Maroon
Silf
palmieri
Cogliano
Etem
Secac
Jackman

AHL
Wagner (could play wing)
Kerdiles
Noesen
Friberg

Now he could be brought up for games here and there due to injuries, just like Ryan, Etem, etc. But I suspect he will hit the NHL full time about the same time as Ryan which means 1-2 years in the AHL, depending on how well he plays.

I would not be surprised if the Ducks sign a veteran 4th line depth guy if they don't sign Beleskey.
Part of the reason Ryan took awhile because he was not improving on his weaknesses. His lack of improvement was even questioned by Burke. And Ryan took a fairly unusual amount of time for a #2 OA pick.

So I guess what I'm asking is, has Ritchie been improving on his deficiencies? In terms of conditioning, perhaps. In terms of being disciplined, it doesn't really seem like it.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Part of the reason Ryan took awhile because he was not improving on his weaknesses. His lack of improvement was even questioned by Burke. And Ryan took a fairly unusual amount of time for a #2 OA pick.

So I guess what I'm asking is, has Ritchie been improving on his deficiencies? In terms of conditioning, perhaps. In terms of being disciplined, it doesn't really seem like it.

He was much better on SSM

mytduxfan*

He was much better on SSM

I don't think he was. Regularly had 8+ PIM games and even had one where he racked up crazy minutes for fighting on multiple occasions. He's got goonish tendencies that's for sure. I hope some of his minor PIMs go down once he gets into the AHL. Refs like to protect the players in the OHL and Ritchie's shear size means that his hitting game is pretty devastating. I'm sure it can get frustrating if you're getting pinged for simply following through on a check.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don't think he was. Regularly had 8+ PIM games and even had one where he racked up crazy minutes for fighting on multiple occasions. He's got goonish tendencies that's for sure. I hope some of his minor PIMs go down once he gets into the AHL. Refs like to protect the players in the OHL and Ritchie's shear size means that his hitting game is pretty devastating. I'm sure it can get frustrating if you're getting pinged for simply following through on a check.

Unless you're watching the games I don't think it's fair to comment on his discipline. Ritchie gets penalized at times simply for being too big and strong at the junior level, and is also a victim of reputation. A lot of those calls won't happen in a game against men. Overall I would say that Ritchie's focus and discipline took a step forward after being traded, as did his play.

mytduxfan*

Unless you're watching the games I don't think it's fair to comment on his discipline. Ritchie gets penalized at times simply for being too big and strong at the junior level, and is also a victim of reputation. A lot of those calls won't happen in a game against men. Overall I would say that Ritchie's focus and discipline took a step forward after being traded, as did his play.

I've watched multiple games and ~80% of the highlights since he joined the Greyhounds. I repeat, he's still got goonish tendencies. I didn't watch him last season, so I have no idea whether he's softened this season. However, I expect his PIMs to drop in the AHL for the reason you listed in bold.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I've watched multiple games and ~80% of the highlights since he joined the Greyhounds. I repeat, he's still got goonish tendencies. I didn't watch him last season, so I have no idea whether he's softened this season. However, I expect his PIMs to drop in the AHL for the reason you listed in bold.

My mistake, your post made me think you were basing an opinion off of box scores. I do disagree with the word "goon" though. I don't think Ritchie plays with any malicious intent. He's just a very aggressive man child who is still learning to control himself. I honestly hope they don't try to stamp too much of the mean out of him. I like having players that can intimidate in multiple ways, it becomes part of your team identity. I have no problem if he turns into a 30 goal, 100 pim winger who puts the fear of god into opponents. Keith Tkachuk is the type of ceiling Ritchie could strive for.

mytduxfan*

My mistake, your post made me think you were basing an opinion off of box scores. I do disagree with the word "goon" though. I don't think Ritchie plays with any malicious intent. He's just a very aggressive man child who is still learning to control himself. I honestly hope they don't try to stamp too much of the mean out of him. I like having players that can intimidate in multiple ways, it becomes part of your team identity. I have no problem if he turns into a 30 goal, 100 pim winger who puts the fear of god into opponents. Keith Tkachuk is the type of ceiling Ritchie could strive for.

That would quite honestly be what I'd like to see out him. The PIMs don't bother me. I like my guys to play with an edge. When I say goonish tendencies I mean that on occasion he just loses it and goes after a guy. Like I said earlier, he needs to work on not letting people get under his skin because, once you've achieved that, he's just nowhere near as effective. In general though, you're right that he's just extremely aggressive and the majority of his penalties are pretty weak calls by NHL standards. I think that's why he's been doing so well in the OHL playoffs i.e. high intensity all round = less attention on him specifically, thus giving him more freedom to play his game.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
That would quite honestly be what I'd like to see out him. The PIMs don't bother me. I like my guys to play with an edge. When I say goonish tendencies I mean that on occasion he just loses it and goes after a guy. Like I said earlier, he needs to work on not letting people get under his skin because, once you've achieved that, he's just nowhere near as effective. In general though, you're right that he's just extremely aggressive and the majority of his penalties are pretty weak calls by NHL standards. I think that's why he's been doing so well in the OHL playoffs i.e. high intensity all round = less attention on him specifically, thus giving him more freedom to play his game.

I cannot recall one instance where he has gone after someone.

This is what a Soo fan (who watches all the games) had to say about Ritchie:

Well, even though he missed time with a concussion , I'm glad the Hounds got him. Yes, he can snap but Keefe did a great job of minimizing that aspect. So, here's my impressions...
1) VERY strong on the puck. He can hold off a defender with one arm and have the puck under control with his stick arm and eventually lose the defender and get a shot or pass away. And that holds true even against some of the leagues bigger players.

2) Like many big players, he has deceptive speed. And we've seen fool a number of defenders. He's by them before they even realize it.

3) Also like many big players, while they may deservedly get called for a penalty, sometimes a clean body check...especially along the boards....gets whistled down for a penalty merely because of the noise.

4) He has a great shot and great instincts. He takes shots that a lot of other players wouldn't and he scores. His wrist shot is faster and harder than most slap shots.

5) As mentioned, Keefe did a great job of getting him to keep his temper under control. Especially after he came back from that concussion. I think he will need that kind of coaching in the bigs to keep him out of trouble.

You can see he loves playing hockey. As big and intimidating as he is on ice, he is a softy off-ice. Little kids adore him and he looks like the feeling is mutual. Seeing the pics from various out-in-the-community events, he is right in there like a dirty shirt.

I wasn't a big Nick Ritchie fan before we acquired him and viewed the trade with some trepidation but now I wish we had had him longer!

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I cannot recall one instance where he has gone after someone.

The only one I can think of was actually on the play where Ritchie sustained the concussion. He got hit from behind and the other team went down and scored. Ritchie got up and upon realizing that the refs declined to punish the hit, decided to interrupt the goal celebration and lay down some punishment of his own. It was pretty awesome until news broke about the concussion.

Edit: Found it, just after the 2:00 mark.

http://www.soogreyhounds.com/video/52980

Last edited:

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
The only one I can think of was actually on the play where Ritchie sustained the concussion. He got hit from behind and the other team went down and scored. Ritchie got up and upon realizing that the refs declined to punish the hit, decided to interrupt the goal celebration and lay down some punishment of his own. It was pretty awesome until news broke about the concussion.

Edit: Found it, just after the 2:00 mark.

http://www.soogreyhounds.com/video/52980

I watched that game... In my book, that's not being a goon. That's sticking up for oneself.

Also, your description of the event omits one key part. Ritchie gets boarded from behind and subtly kicked in the head as one of the opposing team's defenseman skates by. Ritchie then gets up and beats the living **** out of the guy that hit him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I watched that game... In my book, that's not being a goon. That's sticking up for oneself.

Also, your description of the event omits one key part. Ritchie gets boarded from behind and subtly kicked in the head as one of the opposing team's defenseman skates by. Ritchie then gets up and beats the living **** out of the guy that hit him.

Oh I agree, 100% cool with taking matters into your own hands in that scenario, wouldn't call that a goon move at all, goons initiate.

I didn't notice or know about the skate to the head. That makes sense that there was a second blow because the original hit was overly high impact (still illegal/cheap).

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Oh I agree, 100% cool with taking matters into your own hands in that scenario, wouldn't call that a goon move at all, goons initiate.

I didn't notice or know about the skate to the head. That makes sense that there was a second blow because the original hit was overly high impact (still illegal/cheap).

Exactly. I didn't realize the skate to the head either until I read the Soo forum afterwards. Apparently that's what Sheldon Keefe was so upset about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad