Prospect Info: With the 10th overall pick the Anaheim Ducks select Nicholas Ritchie

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
When Getz and perry come to play like they have so far in the playoffs it doesn't matter who Bruce puts with them. And when they go into hibernation like they have at times during the year, it won't matter who Bruce puts with them. On paper , Ritchie would help the team more being on the second line. But without a doubt, during the course of the season he would make his way to the top line at times. I just don't think it's beneficial to the team for that to be his normal spot.

All of the above of course predicated on him becoming a true top 6 guy. Until he proves that, he doesn't deserve anything but a chance to show what he's got.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
When Getz and perry come to play like they have so far in the playoffs it doesn't matter who Bruce puts with them. And when they go into hibernation like they have at times during the year, it won't matter who Bruce puts with them. On paper , Ritchie would help the team more being on the second line. But without a doubt, during the course of the season he would make his way to the top line at times. I just don't think it's beneficial to the team for that to be his normal spot.

All of the above of course predicated on him becoming a true top 6 guy. Until he proves that, he doesn't deserve anything but a chance to show what he's got.

Unless we have productive line mates for Keler on the second line. If Sllf blossom and becomes 25 goal scorer, and lw (Etem, Cakes, or Cogs) on that line scores 15 to 20 goals, then you can put Ritchie on 1st line and hopefully create monster line. This will then give you a heavy weight line and a speed line thatcan alsobe a shut down line.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Unless we have productive line mates for Keler on the second line. If Sllf blossom and becomes 25 goal scorer, and lw (Etem, Cakes, or Cogs) on that line scores 15 to 20 goals, then you can put Ritchie on 1st line and hopefully create monster line. This will then give you a heavy weight line and a speed line thatcan alsobe a shut down line.

We already have both of those things. If Ritchie's got the skill and speed we think then maybe he can play on Rakell's line when he's ready.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

If he develops like we are all talking, he will be a much better offensive force on the second line than any of the guys you mentioned, will ever be. His value on a second scoring line would exceed his value on the first line. Thinking our second line will become an offensive juggernaut without him is unrealistic.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Pretty disappointing game tonight... For such a big player he was invisible and passive the whole game. He didn't use his size to hit or play in front of the net. He basically played the perimeter and shot from long distance.

He absolutely needs to go back to juniors next year and at least one season in the AHL. He needs to be more engaged in the game and have a much better motor. He's got a lethal shot but can't be a floater. I hope it clicks for him in the next few years.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Pretty disappointing game tonight... For such a big player he was invisible and passive the whole game. He didn't use his size to hit or play in front of the net. He basically played the perimeter and shot from long distance.

He absolutely needs to go back to juniors next year and at least one season in the AHL. He needs to be more engaged in the game and have a much better motor. He's got a lethal shot but can't be a floater. I hope it clicks for him in the next few years.

Ritchie can't go to the OHL next year, he's too old to play there. AHL is his only option and I'm sure that the Gulls are very happy to have him.

The guy just had a monstrous playoff performance, I'm sure he just ran out of steam. 13 goals, 26 points in 14 games is absolutely ridiculous. He just needs to have some well-deserved R&R and later join the Ducks' development system.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Sorry but how many times have you watched him play? Seems you're forming a pretty strong (and frankly incorrect) opinion based on one game. Ritchie belongs no where near any junior league next year.

Oct 18, 2011

yeah, maybe you should buy a hockeystreams account, your position on him based on 1 game is foolish

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I can't imagine a scenario where Ritchie isn't in the AHL next year. Felony in the intervening time? Bob Murray struck by a meteor and Gauthier is his replacement while he recuperates?

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
So many people forget that almost every pro will tell you, the biggest jump they've ever seen is from Juniors or College to the AHL. Size, speed, strength, systems all make for a huge adjustment. Rithcie will have an AHL year, like Palmieri, like Etem, like Vatanan and Like Lindholm. Dont be shocked if he struggles in year one too.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
So many people forget that almost every pro will tell you, the biggest jump they've ever seen is from Juniors or College to the AHL. Size, speed, strength, systems all make for a huge adjustment. Rithcie will have an AHL year, like Palmieri, like Etem, like Vatanan and Like Lindholm. Dont be shocked if he struggles in year one too.

It looks like Theodore is not going to struggle in the AHL. He has 11 points in the 9 AHL games that he has played in. Despite how loaded the Ducks are in young d-men, could Theo force himself into lineup sometime next year?

QuackAttack90

Nov 29, 2011
It looks like Theodore is not going to struggle in the AHL. He has 11 points in the 9 AHL games that he has played in. Despite how loaded the Ducks are in young d-men, could Theo force himself into lineup sometime next year?

Considering that we have James Wisniewski as a healthy scratch I would doubt it.

If we lost Beauch to Free Agency ( please no), we would still have to unload Stoner or Wis in order to open up that NHL spot. As a top contender, I don't see this happening.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

So you pretty much figure nine games is all he needs to be ready for the NHL?

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
It's possible that you are even more prospect-optimistic than a certain former poster from Long Beach. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but some might view your statements with that in mind.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
IMO, Theodore should have little trouble transitioning to the AHL level. He's such a smooth skater and he reads the game so well that I imagine he'll be fine. It's the AHL to NHL transition that concerns me when it comes to Theodore. The game is just so much faster and his defensive game needs quite a bit of work.

Ritchie is the one I am worried about. He's a physical beast in the OHL, but in the AHL there are plenty of similar sized guys with more experience. I really hope he can get over the hump, but, personally, I think he going to be project. I don't expect him to make the NHL, at least not permanently, for at least another 3 years. That'll make him 23, which is pretty normal for power-forwards.

Good sir, how many times have you seen Ritchie play?

He's far from a one trick pony. I'd argue his biggest asset is not his size, but his shot. For a power forward, Ritchie has a great hockey IQ and [IMO] is faster than both Getzlaf and Perry.

I highly doubt he stays in the AHL for more than 1 year and a handful of games in the 2016-2017 season.

mytduxfan*

Good sir, how many times have you seen Ritchie play?

He's far from a one trick pony. I'd argue his biggest asset is not his size, but his shot. For a power forward, Ritchie has a great hockey IQ and [IMO] is faster than both Getzlaf and Perry.

I highly doubt he stays in the AHL for more than 1 year and a handful of games in the 2016-2017 season.

I've watched him quite a few times this season, particularly in the recent playoff series against Erie. I don't know how you can come to such a conclusion given that you've only ever watched him play in the OHL. It's well-established that he's got conditioning issues so I very much doubt he's "faster than both Getzlaf and Perry".

If he makes it in the NHL after 1 season in the AHL, great! My point is, I don't see it happening. The kid has a lot of bulk to convert into useful muscle and a lot of maturing to do from the mental standpoint. Hopefully, he does well once coaches get their hands on him, but I think he's got quite a few years to go. There is no need to rush him, so I do hope that we take our time on him. However, you're welcome to your opinion. I just disagree.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
If Beleskey and Fleischmann walk and assuming we retain our restricted free agents this is what our forward lines look like:

Maroon-Getzlaf-Perry
Sekac-Kesler-Silfverberg
Cogliano-Rakell-Palmieri
Etem-Thompson-Jackman
Wagner

Now trades can be made but I find it very hard to believe any of these forwards will be traded without a forward coming back. We still have too many d-men so we're not going to trade any of these forwards for more d-men. So basically the only way Ritchie plays next year is if we trade one of these forwards for the sole purpose of making a spot for him. I find that highly unlikely, at least in the summer. This kid will need to make serious gains in his conditioning and will need to prove he's mature enough to play at this level. Throw in the fact that Noesen, Friberg and Kerdiles are older, more seasoned prospects, it's no guarantee he gets a game in next year. This kid has a ways to go. I hope he makes Murray have to make some hard decisions by October but we really shouldn't expect this kid to be part of our immediate plans.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I would guess that Ritchie is going to have a full year in the AHL to play with Kerdiles, Wagner etc. He has not proven anything yet against men, and there is no room for him at the NHL level next year unless we make some trades for draft picks. I would assume it would be similar to Bobby Ryan, and they want him to dominate the AHL first.

In no particular order even if we don't sign Beleskey, here are the top 8 wingers. plus the AHL players that he may have to pass.

Perry
Maroon
Silf
palmieri
Cogliano
Etem
Secac
Jackman

AHL
Wagner (could play wing)
Kerdiles
Noesen
Friberg

Now he could be brought up for games here and there due to injuries, just like Ryan, Etem, etc. But I suspect he will hit the NHL full time about the same time as Ryan which means 1-2 years in the AHL, depending on how well he plays.

I would not be surprised if the Ducks sign a veteran 4th line depth guy if they don't sign Beleskey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad