Prospect Info: With the 10th overall pick the Anaheim Ducks select Nicholas Ritchie

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
For those interested, the SSM-Erie game is on NHL network right now.

S.S. Giggy

RIP 1974-2011
Jun 14, 2002
Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Visit site
Don't think Noesen or Wagner will come close to replacing Beleskey at this stage.

Noesen hasn't even played a full pro season yet, Wagner isn't ready to be relied upon in any sort of production role - he's fine in a 4th line role right now and nothing more.

Ritchie's a wild card, though I'd prefer if Anaheim let him play in the AHL and see how he handles playing the pro game.

I'd say, be patient with him. It's not like the Ducks have Ann empty prospect cupboard, there's plenty of depth to go around in that prospect pool.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
The thing is that Ritchie can be special. He has the type of talent that forces himself into the line up sooner than normal, like Fowler and Lindholm have done in recent years. I would not be suprised if Ritchie earns a spot as a regular spot in next years roster, maybe even a spot on the top line. If Ritchie continues to have a big playoff series in juniors, I wouldn't be shocked to see Ducks call him up like the Flames did with Bennett

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The thing is that Ritchie can be special. He has the type of talent that forces himself into the line up sooner than normal, like Fowler and Lindholm have done in recent years. I would not be suprised if Ritchie earns a spot as a regular spot in next years roster, maybe even a spot on the top line. If Ritchie continues to have a big playoff series in juniors, I wouldn't be shocked to see Ducks call him up like the Flames did with Bennett
His playoff series has nothing to do with the Ducks plans for him. He's not tearing up the AHL.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

If Erie wins this series I have little doubt Ritchie finds his way to Anaheim. But I think it'll mainly be for evaluation purposes and for the kid to see how pro players prepare while in the playoffs. The difference with Calgary and Bennett is they needed him in their lineup. We don't need Ritchie. Even if injuries happen we still have Fleischmann and Sekac so don't hold your breath on seeing Ritchie get into a game in these playoffs.

As for next year, it'll really come down to his conditioning and compete level in camp. As it stands right now we don't have a spot for him even if we let Beleskey walk. Keep in mind Sekac is watching these playoffs at the moment. We need to make a spot for him which could very well be Beleskey leaving. There's definitely no rush with this kid but I'm sure Murray won't impede him if he shows up to camp ready to compete. I have little doubt we'll see him play some games next year but it'll take more than a dominant playoffs in juniors on a stacked team to pencil this kid in for next season.

mytduxfan*

If Erie wins this series I have little doubt Ritchie finds his way to Anaheim. But I think it'll mainly be for evaluation purposes and for the kid to see how pro players prepare while in the playoffs. The difference with Calgary and Bennett is they needed him in their lineup. We don't need Ritchie. Even if injuries happen we still have Fleischmann and Sekac so don't hold your breath on seeing Ritchie get into a game in these playoffs.

As for next year, it'll really come down to his conditioning and compete level in camp. As it stands right now we don't have a spot for him even if we let Beleskey walk. Keep in mind Sekac is watching these playoffs at the moment. We need to make a spot for him which could very well be Beleskey leaving. There's definitely no rush with this kid but I'm sure Murray won't impede him if he shows up to camp ready to compete. I have little doubt we'll see him play some games next year but it'll take more than a dominant playoffs in juniors on a stacked team to pencil this kid in for next season.

Well put. My thoughts exactly. Ritchie has at least 1-2 years left before he makes it into the big leagues. He's got to work on that condition, but, more importantly, he needs to mature. It's too easy to get into his head and stop him from playing his game at the moment, and when Ritchie gets frustrated, he's a significant liability i.e. multiple penalties.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Well put. My thoughts exactly. Ritchie has at least 1-2 years left before he makes it into the big leagues. He's got to work on that condition, but, more importantly, he needs to mature. It's too easy to get into his head and stop him from playing his game at the moment, and when Ritchie gets frustrated, he's a significant liability i.e. multiple penalties.

From the time we drafted him and hearing updates during the year, this is my biggest concern. You cannot continue to regularly take stupid penalties in the NHL. Especially the kind that can be suspendable, which many of his are. He needs to get that **** out of his system. He can be a fantastic player if he learns to control himself. Or a worthless piece of **** if he can't.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
From the time we drafted him and hearing updates during the year, this is my biggest concern. You cannot continue to regularly take stupid penalties in the NHL. Especially the kind that can be suspendable, which many of his are. He needs to get that **** out of his system. He can be a fantastic player if he learns to control himself. Or a worthless piece of **** if he can't.

Have you watched him play since he was traded to the Soo Greyhounds? More specifically, have you seen any of his playoff games this year?

I ask because Ritchie seldom goes for the risky, KO-type hit anymore that got him in trouble while playing for Peterborough. Sheldon Keefe, the Soo Greyhounds coach, is known to preach a very disciplined style of play. Personally, I have noticed a marked difference in the way Ritchie approaches the game. Yes, he still plays physically but Ritchie looks to be more focused on finding space to set up his one -timer.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Have you watched him play since he was traded to the Soo Greyhounds? More specifically, have you seen any of his playoff games this year?

I ask because Ritchie seldom goes for the risky, KO-type hit anymore that got him in trouble while playing for Peterborough. Sheldon Keefe, the Soo Greyhounds coach, is known to preach a very disciplined style of play. Personally, I have noticed a marked difference in the way Ritchie approaches the game. Yes, he still plays physically but Ritchie looks to be more focused on finding space to set up his one -timer.

No, I've not seen him play. I only know what I read. And every once in a while he makes news I read (not in a good way) about one of his hits. It's his history and it seems to keep repeating itself. Even when they aren't suspension worthy there seem to be a lot of stupid/lazy penalties. I certainly hope you are right but I think the sample size is much too small to claim he is a permanently changed man. Learning to play disciplined hockey is probably one of, if not the biggest thing he needs to work on to reach his potential in the NHL.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
No, I've not seen him play. I only know what I read. And every once in a while he makes news I read (not in a good way) about one of his hits. It's his history and it seems to keep repeating itself. Even when they aren't suspension worthy there seem to be a lot of stupid/lazy penalties. I certainly hope you are right but I think the sample size is much too small to claim he is a permanently changed man. Learning to play disciplined hockey is probably one of, if not the biggest thing he needs to work on to reach his potential in the NHL.

I completely agree, which is why I believe a year in the AHL would be great for his development.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Soo's coach has done a good job with Ritchie so far. I have no doubt that once he officially joins the Ducks' development system, any ongoing discipline issues will straighten themselves out.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
I understand the need of maturing and being disciplined in your play, but the thing that is intriguing about Ritchie is that he is the perfect fit to play LW with Pears and Getz. He is similar to Maroon in that he has a huge body that plays physical and has a mean streak, but he is a much better skater. Not only that, he has a wicked shot, that makes him a target for both Getz and Pear's playmaking abilities. In other words, it gives that line another finisher, which we have been lacking for since Bobby Ryan was traded. Like others have mentioned, we have plenty of depth in our forwards, so Ritchie will have to force himself into the lineup with his play. But he has assets that our other wingers don't have, that can make the first line even more dynamic.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Even if Ritchie reaches his potential I'm not so sure they need him on the top line. That line works well with any plug on it. Richie's talent might better make a more powerful 2nd line to go with an already darn good top line.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
I understand the need of maturing and being disciplined in your play, but the thing that is intriguing about Ritchie is that he is the perfect fit to play LW with Pears and Getz. He is similar to Maroon in that he has a huge body that plays physical and has a mean streak, but he is a much better skater. Not only that, he has a wicked shot, that makes him a target for both Getz and Pear's playmaking abilities. In other words, it gives that line another finisher, which we have been lacking for since Bobby Ryan was traded. Like others have mentioned, we have plenty of depth in our forwards, so Ritchie will have to force himself into the lineup with his play. But he has assets that our other wingers don't have, that can make the first line even more dynamic.

Ritchie is still playing with the boys in the OHL. We need to see how quickly he adapts to playing with men who can knock him into the first row (or worse) if he tries to physically intimidate them like he has been able to so far. An OHL mean streak doesn't mean much until it's measured against AHL/NHL players. How fast he can adapt and overcome any adversity will determine how quickly we'll see him ready for NHL level competition. I think it will take 1-2 years for him to make the jump, but I hope he can prove me wrong.

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
Even if Ritchie reaches his potential I'm not so sure they need him on the top line. That line works well with any plug on it. Richie's talent might better make a more powerful 2nd line to go with an already darn good top line.

It is tantalizing though... that size and shot combined with Getz's passing and Perry's netfront presence... how does any team defend that?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It is tantalizing though... that size and shot combined with Getz's passing and Perry's netfront presence... how does any team defend that?

The same way you try to defend them now... you keep them on the perimeter, as much as you can. Ideally, you try to keep the puck away from them, by taking it into the offensive zone and forcing them to play defense.

It's easier said than done, but I don't think adding Ritchie significantly changes the way teams would approach that line.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
The same way you try to defend them now... you keep them on the perimeter, as much as you can. Ideally, you try to keep the puck away from them, by taking it into the offensive zone and forcing them to play defense.

It's easier said than done, but I don't think adding Ritchie significantly changes the way teams would approach that line.

i'm also on the train that would like to spread it out and put ritchie on the 2nd line. i dont think getzlaf and perry would benefit from another player that does well. getzlaf and perry like having the puck on their sticks. the 3rd guy is mostly to create space and cause havoc.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
i'm also on the train that would like to spread it out and put ritchie on the 2nd line. i dont think getzlaf and perry would benefit from another player that does well. getzlaf and perry like having the puck on their sticks. the 3rd guy is mostly to create space and cause havoc.

I was thinking about that as I was typing that. If Ritchie meets some of the expectations, it may not make sense to put him on the top line. It's not like Getzlaf and Perry have any problems producing right now. Spreading it out can sometimes increase offense, and it can certainly make a team more dangerous with the depth.

It's all talk right now. He isn't a top six player at the moment, even if he projects as one.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I dunno, Maroon misses 75%+ of his golden opportunities. Having someone who could bury even half of those missed opportunities would make that line a monster. Loading up the top line is only an issue if you have no depth scoring, and that's not currently the case.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I dunno, Maroon misses 75%+ of his golden opportunities. Having someone who could bury even half of those missed opportunities would make that line a monster. Loading up the top line is only an issue if you have no depth scoring, and that's not currently the case.

I could see it going both ways, if Ritchie really does well. He's definitely a promising option for the top line, moving forward. Maybe the most promising since Bobby Ryan, and I think Ritchie plays a more complementary style to Getz and Pears.

The big thing I like is that Ritchie is surprisingly mobile for a guy his size. Maroon has good hands, and he is a monster along the boards, but man is he slow. And, like you said, he really doesn't seem to have the finish. He's kind of an incomplete top six guy, missing just a couple of things. Unfortunately, one of them is a big one: Skating. I mean, he makes Perry look like a great skater.

It's also worth noting that we've got Kesler and Silfverberg on the 2nd line, and that's not including Rakell, Beleskey, or Sekac, not to mention some of the rookies who are still waiting. The depth looks pretty good, for the foreseeable future. It's kind of a win-win situation. Either we're talking about adding Ritchie to our depth beyond the 1st line, or we straight up add him to the 1st line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad