Line Combos: With Matthews+Nylander back, What does the roster look like?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Who gets waived? What do the lines look like?

I think they look something like this

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Lindholm-Brown
Ennis-Gauthier

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Ozhiganov
Holl

Andersen
Sparks

I think this is what things will eventually look like.

If/when Nylander returns, perhaps he and Kapanen will switch spots though until Nylander gets back into the swing of things. Think it'd be tough not to go back to the Matthews/Nylander pairing, with Marleau alongside them, just because that was the initial plan to start the season with and we've obviously yet to see that due to Nylander's absence.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Kapanen Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Brown/johnssom
Leivo Linholm Brown/Johnsson

Can probably flip around the handedness in some scenarios but this is generally what I expect to see. Ennis draws in vs the highly skilled/soft teams

Reactions: drfunc and frazzy

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That's not a bad idea either. My thought is they will need some grit and johnsson doesn't have a big supply of grit

That's fair but he's got speed and hands, which aren't Lindholm strong suits
I'm just thinking that were better off using Lindholm's defensive game making life easier for the better offensive players

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
brown traded is for the best imo. Ennis outperforming him for less shows we dont need a $2.1M 30 point forward as much as people thought we would
This. Love Brown, but the fact is either this year or next he's a cap casualty because we have players already on the roster for under a million that can bring the same or more than he brings.

Reactions: Walshy7

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That's fair but he's got speed and hands, which aren't Lindholm strong suits
I'm just thinking that were better off using Lindholm's defensive game making life easier for the better offensive players
I wouldn't be against the switch to johnsson after a few games. You have to figure mat and wil will be a bit rusty, so a defensive presence on their line to start could be needed to start

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
this is what i'd like to when we're at full strength

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Leivo - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Johnson - Lindholm - Hyman

Ennis/Gauthier

Reactions: PickleRick

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
brown traded is for the best imo. Ennis outperforming him for less shows we dont need a $2.1M 30 point forward as much as people thought we would
Ennis is on a prove it, one year contract. No way he signs a cheap $650,000 contract next season.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I go for speed and skill first in this new NHL and I think that ennis has really improved since the start of the season...
so..

Johnsson Tavares Marner
Kapanen Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Leivo/Ennis
Ennis'Leivo Lindholm Hyman
This ...I would like to see!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wouldn't be against the switch to johnsson after a few games. You have to figure mat and wil will be a bit rusty, so a defensive presence on their line to start could be needed to start

Nylander might struggle but I doubt Matthews struggles coming back if he's fit and he's the one carrying that line
The best way to get there offensive games going is to put somebody offensively gifted beside them imo and Johnsson has really heated up lately

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Nylander might struggle but I doubt Matthews struggles coming back if he's fit and he's the one carrying that line
The best way to get there offensive games going is to put somebody offensively gifted beside them imo and Johnsson has really heated up lately
I'm pretty sure willie still has some offensive flare that will come out

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He has but I wouldn't mind kicking it into gear straight away
See I'm not worried about the offense with those 2. I don't think that will be an issue at all. Nylander, in particular, will not be on the same page with the structure Babcock has going, so support there will be needed.
Now once willie gets back to the system, put AJ there and watch the magic happen

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
See I'm not worried about the offense with those 2. I don't think that will be an issue at all. Nylander, in particular, will not be on the same page with the structure Babcock has going, so support there will be needed.
Now once willie gets back to the system, put AJ there and watch the magic happen

Nah, put them together asap and try to get some chemistry going, that way if it doesn't work you've got more time to change things before the playoffs

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think they'll be eased in for the first couple of games.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo-Lindholm-Brown

When things are going full throttle.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Lindholm-Brown

Reactions: Zizzzzy

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Nah, put them together asap and try to get some chemistry going, that way if it doesn't work you've got more time to change things before the playoffs
You know the coach will want them to play right. I don't think AJ is strong enough defensively.
Also, if that line gets more goals against than for, I don't know if that's a good way to start back

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You know the coach will want them to play right. I don't think AJ is strong enough defensively.
Also, if that line gets more goals against than for, I don't know if that's a good way to start back

If there against weak competition in favourable areas I have serious doubts there getting outscored, Johnsson is also playing in a matchup line right now, fairly well to so I think your under playing his defensive game

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
no way Brown comes out Babs loves him too much and hes a staple on the PK. Gonna be a battle for the last spot lots of hockey left until playoffs to see who can take the last spot.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
In the words of our coach:

Real good.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Goat, and Ennis to the press box. Holl on waivers.

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Lindholm - Brown
Ennis, Gauthier

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Oz
Marincin

Andersen
Sparks

hockeynorth