Line Combos: With Matthews+Nylander back, What does the roster look like?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
With Leivo gone, Babs will likely go with this to start:

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Babcock said Brown is gonna be slotted onto the LW somewhere in the top 9. Either beside Kadri-Nylander OR Matthews-Nylander.

That’s awful. Babcock is really gonna demote a red-hot AJ to the fourth line and keep our worst offensive forward in the top 9.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
All I know is that we need an upgrade on our number 1 pairing, we won't get to a final with Rielly-Hainsey as the top pairing.

Mar 26, 2010
Kapanen Matthews Nylander

I still would like to see that line.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Babcock said Brown is gonna be slotted onto the LW somewhere in the top 9. Either beside Kadri-Nylander OR Matthews-Nylander.

That’s awful. Babcock is really gonna demote a red-hot AJ to the fourth line and keep our worst offensive forward in the top 9.

I think Brown is on Kadris line and Marleau will move up with Matthews and Nylander.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

Sounds like that's only with Goat in the lineup, until Nylander comes back. I really, really hope that's only with Goat in the lineup.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Imo brown has not earned a top 9 spot this year but maybe babs is giving him credit for the past?

Would also prefer to keep Marleau away from auston and willy. But I am 90% sure that wont happen

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn’t mind trying Nylander as the 3C and Kadri moves to his LW to hopefully get him going a bit.

Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Matthews Kapanen
Kadri Nylander Johnsson
Ennis Lindholm Brown

Matthews-Marleau have not shown a lot of chemistry but maybe with Kappy there full time it would work.

Tavares line continues doing their thing.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I know Nylander and Matthews have shown chemistry in the past and Marner and Tavares are off to a good start this season, but If we ever needed a shake up I would like to see the following:

Kapanen - Matthews - Marner
Johnnson - Tavares - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Hyman
Ennis - Lindholm - Brown

I think Matthews and Marner could be absolutely insane together, and Nylander's puck control style would benefit Tavares' net front precense style a lot as well.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Even if Kapanen can't transition to left wing, Nylander actually played a lot more LW than RW before he joined the leafs. (His first season with the marlies, the WJC's in his D+1 season, at the U-18s, & Modo prior to his draft). Not sure about his Allsvenskan games, but the point still stands.

Although I'm sure Babcock likes having Nylander's right-handed playmaking on Matthews' right side, so Auston can easily receive the puck on his forehand for a shot.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012

I wouldn't be entirely shocked if giving Brown every chance to succeed is to determine if he can, and if he can, to move him.

Brown's $2.25M...Zaitsev's $4.75M...Hainsey's $3M...It all adds up.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Once Babs says it count on it happening. He is gonna figure out how to insert brown as a LW either with Kadri or Matty. He knows the top 3 RW are Marner, Nylander and Kappy and he can't have Brown (hell no) on the 4th line. So that's it its done. Hyman plays with tavares that's set. So then Brown and Marleau will get figured out.

So 4th line is now Johnsson Lindholm and Ennis that is a lock and load. A very fast 4th line i must say. Lets see if it works in game.

member 298589

I do not want Marleau playing with Matthews-Nylander or Tavares-Marner. His hands are not fast enough even if he can still skate. Needs to play 3rd line at this point.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Thats an interesting proposal by Bobby Mac

Hyman JT Marner
Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Kapanen
Lindholm Goat Ennis

Give Johnsson a 10 game stint on a top line to see what he can do.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
It’s so nice having our top two centres left handed and our top two wingers right handed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->