With Datsyuk coming back soon, convince me he'll be an answer

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The Wings took the eventual cup champion Chicago Blackhawk's to seven games and proceeded to have back to back first round exits after accomplishing such an amazing second round exit.

The Wings defense doesn't get you anywhere near a Stanley Cup.

Patel Datsyuk would literally have to know real magic for that to change.
We added Green and Marchenko though.. that's at least something. Zidlicky was our worst D last playoffs. Richards and Larkin aren't bad additions up front either. Then there's a new coach. None of us know what this team can do this year.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
We added Green and Marchenko though.. that's at least something. Zidlicky was our worst D last playoffs. Richards and Larkin aren't bad additions up front either. Then there's a new coach. None of us know what this team can do this year.

You are more than welcome to believe that.

I think this team is on pace for another thrilling first round exit.

The Wings core hasn't been good enough for while and is only getting worse.

Richards, Green and Marchenko will not change that trend.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Just too early to tell. This team could go either way from where they are currently. We haven't even seen the fully healthy lineup, and deadline deals could be made (imagine if Anaheim continues to struggle, they could be sellers which opens opportunities for Vatanen).
And only a blind man can avoid seeing that Mrazek and Larkin are emerging as new core players. If this team is still treading water around the wildcard spot come game 60-70, then I'll brace for a 1st round exit. There are reasons to be optimistic for more though.

Aug 6, 2012

I think its way too early to say that at the moment. Looking at the roster (that defense) I don't disagree with you, but this team is really trending in the right direction and with Blashill I think they have potential to be much more than a team trying to win every game 2-1. There is a long way to go but each game my confidence in this team grows.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The Wings took the eventual cup champion Chicago Blackhawk's to seven games and proceeded to have back to back first round exits after accomplishing such an amazing second round exit.

The Wings defense doesn't get you anywhere near a Stanley Cup.

Patel Datsyuk would literally have to know real magic for that to change.

I think you are wrong. Very wrong.

I have taken a lot of heat on this board because I have said for 2-3 seasons now that our major problem is in net, that we did not have good enough goaltending to advance in playoffs.

What did we see?
Last season Babcock chose to go with Mrazek, he did not even consider Howard even though the kid had a stinker or 2 in the series, but we almost won the series.
I thought we would win series if we had Kronwall. You have to remeber that we lost him for game 7.
2 seasons ago, Babcock started Howard vs Bruins, but went to Gustavsson after 3 games.
I think it is obvious that our goaltending was not good enough.

This season is different.
We have good goaltending. We have a young goalie which is great, but not good enough to be a clear starter.
And we have a veteran goalie who is very eager to prove that he is good.
I feel much better now than 2-4 last seasons when it comes to the goaltending.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Defence

Defence
Kronwall
Before this season he was the only Dman which was good, and even him was not considered very good by many.
Then we added him Green.
Now we have 2 offensive Dmen who can help.
I consider Dekeyser to be very good, many on the board disagree, but now with the experience he has I see him as a good Dman and a good playoffs Dman.
Ericsson will not be asked to play top pairing anymore. We see how much better he looks now as he plays with Dekeyser.
Quicney is very steady for the 3rd pairings, but he can play top 4 too.

Forwards should be great.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Back to Datsyuk

Before Datsyuk came back we were outshot every game, and some games very badly.
But since Datsyuk came back we see that we outshot some team, and outshot them a lot.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I think you are wrong. Very wrong.

I have taken a lot of heat on this board because I have said for 2-3 seasons now that our major problem is in net, that we did not have good enough goaltending to advance in playoffs.

What did we see?
Last season Babcock chose to go with Mrazek, he did not even consider Howard even though the kid had a stinker or 2 in the series, but we almost won the series.
I thought we would win series if we had Kronwall. You have to remeber that we lost him for game 7.
2 seasons ago, Babcock started Howard vs Bruins, but went to Gustavsson after 3 games.
I think it is obvious that our goaltending was not good enough.

This season is different.
We have good goaltending. We have a young goalie which is great, but not good enough to be a clear starter.
And we have a veteran goalie who is very eager to prove that he is good.
I feel much better now than 2-4 last seasons when it comes to the goaltending.

Goaltending? You serious expect me to believe the Wings playoff failures have been due to bad goaltending?

The Boston series was an onslaught of turnovers and easy high quality scoring opportunities, while Boston's defense focused on Datsyuk which completely shut down Detroit's offense.

The Wings defense routinely implodes and gives opponents easy scoring scoring chances while Detroit has to move mountains to score a single goal. That has been the Red Wings playoff MO these past few seasons.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
But since Datsyuk came back we see that we outshot some team, and outshot them a lot.

I really think people discounted the waterfall effect of possession gain we are know seeing due to his return. But now the proof is in the pudding with the results of the past 7-8 games.

He is and has been the most important player for possession in the entire NHL for quite a few # of years.

The third line has been feasting on the lesser competition. Datsyuk being put on another line forces teams to focus solely on the top two lines and in a cap world 90-95% of the teams in this league do not have the depth to defend against all 3 scoring lines.

Where with injuries we where solely a two line scoring threat team and that is much easier to limit for teams.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Against Florida, Datsyuk had 11 own+created scoring attempts. His season-high. 11 of our total 25 attempts. That's just crazy how good he was and nobody couldn't bury a single goal of those chances.

So Pavel was there, but others weren't. Off day especially from Tatar.

Pavel needs new wingers... maybe it's time to try his favourite piano-puller there. He just needs a good screener on his line, so he can shoot goals through the guy's torso/screen. Jurco is not that guy and Pulkkinen either.

Pavel has played through his last career decade with pylons there who just create space for him to have his own show, so why change that. Holmström-Cleary-Bertuzzi-Franzen... -Abdelkader. Or Helm. That worked at last season.

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Against Florida, Datsyuk had 11 own+created scoring attempts. His season-high. 11 of our total 25 attempts. That's just crazy how good he was and nobody couldn't bury a single goal of those chances.

Pavel needs new wingers... maybe it's time to try his favourite piano-puller there. He just needs a good screener on his line, so he can shoot goals through the guy's torso/screen. Jurco is not that guy and Pulkkinen either.

Pavel has played through his last career decade with pylons there who just create space for him to have his own show, so why change that. Holmström-Cleary-Bertuzzi-Franzen... -Abdelkader. Or Helm. That worked at last season.

Give Datsyuk his piano puller back and move Jurco to Z's line:

Larkin - Zetterberg - Jurco
Richards - Datsyuk - Abdelkader

They always try to put Jurco with Datsyuk and it never looks like they can get on the same page. Have they ever tried Jurco with Zetterberg?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Assuming Howard is the backup, that's not a bad place for him to be.

Just saiyan.

For $5.3 million per season? :laugh:

Mrazek is gonna take Ken Holland to the cleaners when he hits RFA status. His agent would be committing malpractice if he didn't take the Wings to arbitration with a mediocre backup pulling down north of $5 million per year. Oh by the way, Mrazek's current contract expires after this season. :popcorn:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Mrazek is gonna take Ken Holland to the cleaners when he hits RFA status. His agent would be committing malpractice if he didn't take the Wings to arbitration with a mediocre backup pulling down north of $5 million per year. Oh by the way, Mrazek's current contract expires after this season. :popcorn:

Are we sure Mrazek even has arbitration rights, because I would be pretty surprised if he qualifies for them this summer in all honesty?

Not all RFA's actually have the right to arbitration.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Goaltending? You serious expect me to believe the Wings playoff failures have been due to bad goaltending?

The Boston series was an onslaught of turnovers and easy high quality scoring opportunities, while Boston's defense focused on Datsyuk which completely shut down Detroit's offense.

The Wings defense routinely implodes and gives opponents easy scoring scoring chances while Detroit has to move mountains to score a single goal. That has been the Red Wings playoff MO these past few seasons.
2 seasons ago, Howard played 3 games in the playoffs, then was replaced by Gustavsson. He singlehandedly lost us game 2.
Last season Babcock even did not start him in the playoffs
This season we see that Mrazek is taking #1.
Wrtining is on the wall man, you just either do not see it or do not want to see it.
Howard is positioning him self in the bottom 10.

Richards is not a natural winger, Pulkkinen is a rookie. Maybe Tatar should play with Datsyuk and Pulkkinen with Sheahan and Nyquist.
Give Datsyuk his piano puller back and move Jurco to Z's line:

Larkin - Zetterberg - Jurco
Richards - Datsyuk - Abdelkader

They always try to put Jurco with Datsyuk and it never looks like they can get on the same page. Have they ever tried Jurco with Zetterberg?
It was just one game. It will be interesting to see whether Pulkkinen comes back or Jurco stays.
Maybe Miller should sit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Blashill just confirmed they are gonna put Helm to pull the piano (with Richard and Datsyuk). Pulkkinen goes to 4th line. Jurco out of lineup.

Like these power-play units:

------ Abdelkader
Gus - Zeta - Richards
------ Kronwall

------ Sheahan
Pulkkinen - Dats - Tatar
------ Green

Time to get some results. You can't build them any better.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

his agent would be actually following the rules as howard has UFA contract. mrazek's agent can't use that in negotiations. it's in the CBA. only RFA contracts can be used as comparable in arbitration.

Are we sure Mrazek even has arbitration rights, because I would be pretty surprised if he qualifies for them this summer in all honesty?

Not all RFA's actually have the right to arbitration.

he does have arbitration rights. player signed between the ages of 18-20 (mrazek was) needs to have 4 years of pro experience to have arbitration rights. so basically those players don't have them after ELC is over but has them year(s)after that.

years in AHL and europe qualify as pro experience too, doesn't have to be just in NHL.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm talking about considering the personnel we currently have. A goaltender in the top 5 for sv% and another goalie in the top 30 is a positive for this season.

And hopefully by that time Howard will have been moved, so it won't be a big issue. The context I am discussing is this season and only this season.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Blashill just confirmed they are gonna put Helm to pull the piano (with Richard and Datsyuk). Pulkkinen goes to 4th line. Jurco out of lineup.

Like these power-play units:

------ Abdelkader
Gus - Zeta - Richards
------ Kronwall

------ Sheahan
Pulkkinen - Dats - Tatar
------ Green

Time to get some results. You can't build them any better.

Sure you can. Put Larkin out there.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Because Larkin is trending so we have to assume that he is the best player at every situation no matter what.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00