With Datsyuk coming back soon, convince me he'll be an answer

Aug 6, 2012
Because Larkin is trending so we have to assume that he is the best player at every situation no matter what.

Because he is one of the best players on the team and has proven time and time again to be one of this team's best offensive threats. Certainly more capable than Brad Richards who has looked lost on the PP thus far. Gotta keep those vets happy though.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
Because he is one of the best players on the team and has proven time and time again to be one of this team's best offensive threats. Certainly more capable than Brad Richards who has looked lost on the PP thus far. Gotta keep those vets happy though.

He's been on the pp all year, and has what 1 pt.? Richards has much more history of being successful on the pp. I'm not saying that Larkin won't be able to figure it out, but he doesn't seem to be very good at using the extra time and space.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
He's been on the pp all year, and has what 1 pt.? Richards has much more history of being successful on the pp. I'm not saying that Larkin won't be able to figure it out, but he doesn't seem to be very good at using the extra time and space.

He has spent most of his time on the PP as the net front presence. It isn't a spot on the PP a player is expected to consistently produce at.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
He has spent most of his time on the PP as the net front presence. It isn't a spot on the PP a player is expected to consistently produce at.

Actually that's only been for the last 10 games. Sheahan and Abby were mostly used there until dats came back.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The way Datsyuk is playing lately is a good reminder to everyone that doubted his impact on a team. Man he is good. The guy is just picking pockets, intercepting pucks and making briliant plays all over the ice.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
The way Datsyuk is playing lately is a good reminder to everyone that doubted his impact on a team. Man he is good. The guy is just picking pockets, intercepting pucks and making briliant plays all over the ice.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if he's similar to Jagr with his longevity. As long as his skating doesn't fall off a cliff he can still play a few more years, IMO. Dats has always relied on his IQ, and his magnificent hands. Smartest player on the ice most nights. And it's not like those attributes will suddenly disappear while he continues to age. It doesn't even matter if he can only play 50-60 games a year as long as he continues to play well. He's still a dominate player at 37. It's truly a sight to see. It'll be a real sad day when he decides to hang them up for good.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if he's similar to Jagr with his longevity. As long as his skating doesn't fall off a cliff he can still play a few more years, IMO. Dats has always relied on his IQ, and his magnificent hands. Smartest player on the ice most nights. And it's not like those attributes will suddenly disappear while he continues to age. It doesn't even matter if he can only play 50-60 games a year as long as he continues to play well. He's still a dominate player at 37. It's truly a sight to see. It'll be a real sad day when he decides to hang them up for good.
Unfortunately I don't think Datsyuk's physical health will allow him to play that long, at least not in the NHL. Jagr is a physical beast, and I don't think he's had that many injuries in his career. Datsyuk's body is kinda breaking down. We are very lucky if we get to see him remain reasonably healthy for the rest of this contract, and if he signs another contract with the Wings.. I will celebrate.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
0-0-2-1-2-2-1-2-1-2-2

2 games to get in game shape and then.... a point-streak. And our possession numbers are sky-rocketing.

I think that winning faceoffs helps a lot.
Then his patients by a lot of time to other player.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Unfortunately I don't think Datsyuk's physical health will allow him to play that long, at least not in the NHL. Jagr is a physical beast, and I don't think he's had that many injuries in his career. Datsyuk's body is kinda breaking down. We are very lucky if we get to see him remain reasonably healthy for the rest of this contract, and if he signs another contract with the Wings.. I will celebrate.

:( sad but true.

So how is this team with Datsyuk and Green in the lineup?

We all knew what Pavel Datsyuk could do for us, and how much it sucks without him, but boy, Mike Green has made it ABUNDANTLY clear, how much we needed a guy like him.

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
We all knew what Pavel Datsyuk could do for us, and how much it sucks without him, but boy, Mike Green has made it ABUNDANTLY clear, how much we needed a guy like him.

Starting to feel like he was getting rather underappreciated in Washington due to injuries and system changes. Guy fits like a glove on a possession team.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Starting to feel like he was getting rather underappreciated in Washington due to injuries and system changes. Guy fits like a glove on a possession team.

You are absolutely correct. We all hoped he would be the right handed point producing d-man we've needed since Rafalski retired. I know some complained that he was nothing more than a bottom 3 d-man who wouldn't be a big contributor. Since coming back from injury he's put up 9 points in 14 games. That clip extrapolates out to a 50 point season over a full 82 games.

Green & Datsyuk are the biggest reasons why the Wings are finally able to score goals.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You are absolutely correct. We all hoped he would be the right handed point producing d-man we've needed since Rafalski retired. I know some complained that he was nothing more than a bottom 3 d-man who wouldn't be a big contributor. Since coming back from injury he's put up 9 points in 14 games. That clip extrapolates out to a 50 point season over a full 82 games.

Green & Datsyuk are the biggest reasons why the Wings are finally able to score goals.

Yes they are. I have made graphs about my scoring attempt data (For and against) and those relative For% numbers have just taken a huge jump on the point when those two returned to roster.

Pav and Green are 13.5 million value combined. It's not fake money, both are totally worth it.

Also, Larkin has HUGE IMPACT on this team.

Just imagine, on an era, when everybody pushes against the cap, you suddenly have a player which plays with 925k valued ELC FOR NEXT 3 SEASONS, and kid plays consistenly at +5 million level !!! He has been better than Nyquist and Tatar at this season, and is not far from Zetterberg at team's second best player.

This makes us a Stanley Cup contender. Nothing less.

- Green signing
- Drafting and promoting Larkin
- Richards signing
- Healthy and rested Datsyuk

HUGE adds on our team depth compared to last season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I didn't expect him to be this solid defensively. Hope he keeps it up, because since coming back from injury he has played like the the missing link on our defense. Ericsson is looking very good since being slotted in on the 2nd pairing too which is an added bonus to Green's strong play.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He is not so bad defensively as they said he was.

That "bad defensively" reputation from Washington has lived for years after some giveaways at lost playoff games.

Just like Ericsson is hated on our board.

I have never saw bad giveaways being bad defensively. Giveaway is an offensive act. Defensive play is doing something without the puck.

Green looks good with and without the puck.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

I went over to the Caps board when we played them and Ovi was chasing Feds goalscoring record, and I couldn't believe the hostility towards Green. They regard him on a similar level as we regard Brett Lebda.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
I went over to the Caps board when we played them and Ovi was chasing Feds goalscoring record, and I couldn't believe the hostility towards Green. They regard him on a similar level as we regard Brett Lebda.
It's pretty much the same thing as the DRW section of this board has with Franzen I bet. Imagine yourself if you had a dman putting up over 70 points a couple of season and then can't get quite back to that level of play after injuries. Even if he's doing good you'll always be comparing him to what he did during those monster seasons, hard to live up to that for any player not named Erik Karlsson right now.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It's pretty much the same thing as the DRW section of this board has with Franzen I bet. Imagine yourself if you had a dman putting up over 70 points a couple of season and then can't get quite back to that level of play after injuries. Even if he's doing good you'll always be comparing him to what he did during those monster seasons, hard to live up to that for any player not named Erik Karlsson right now.

i think it has more to do with his disappointing playoff performances.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
That "bad defensively" reputation from Washington has lived for years after some giveaways at lost playoff games.

Just like Ericsson is hated on our board.

I have never saw bad giveaways being bad defensively. Giveaway is an offensive act. Defensive play is doing something without the puck.

Green looks good with and without the puck.

Green was subpar last postseason.

And giveaways are absolutely a sign of being bad defensively. Offensive and defensive games are not black and white as they often go hand and hand with each other. Making smart, responsible plays with or without the puck are a sign of being good defensively and having hockey iq. Likewise, all turnovers are not equal. Look no further than Datsyuk. Part of what made him great defensively was his ability to control the tempo of the game with his puck control and constantly making smart (and often creative) plays with the puck. Likewise, much of his offensive throughout his career was the result of his defensive game and forcing turnovers without the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad