With Datsyuk coming back soon, convince me he'll be an answer

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think the teams current position is a result of numerous injuries. Is a healthy Datsuk the answer? Probably not. Is a Healthy Datsyuk, Green, Dekeyser and KFQ the answer? I dunno but its much closer than we have been.

The reality is the wings, like most teams, need their best players at every position to be in the lineup to be succesful. This means Z, Datsyuk, Green, DDK and Kronwall. We haven't had all of these guys for a single game (and I believe, have been missing at least two for all but 1 game).

It should be obvious that getting our best player and top 15 player in the world will have a massive impact on team performance. Having a healthy top 4 dmen will go a long way as well

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I believe this was the case last year, wasn't it? Our ES Corsi close was pretty damn good, top3 in the league I think. But our ES scoring was not great. Yeah just checked war-in-ice. If I'm reading it right, ES 5v5, all score situations last regular season, we were the 6th worst team for goals for. Ahead of only Arizona, Buffalo, NJ, Carolina, and Edmonton. Our ES scoring has sucked for at least a year now. Our goal differential for ES 5v5 was middle of the pack.

We really need that to improve. Can't go far without it.

Yup, we were terrible at ES too last year. Goes to show that maybe its not a coaching issue, and maybe this team has more of a talent issue more than anything. Even if we do scrape into the playoffs, we aren't gonna go anywhere playing terribly at ES.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He's a pretty big addition. Especially if he is 100%. Adding a guy who is good on faceoffs, a possession machine, a zone-entry wizard, a playmaking genius.. yeah that can answer a lot of a team's problems. Just being able to shift Abby/Larkin down the lineup, maybe getting Z to wing.. those things can have a ripple effect through your lineup. For example, if we could add a Datsyuk-quality D-man, our defense would go from bad to amazing pretty quickly.

I don't even think we've been that bad the last 5-6 games. Heck, last game was probably our best of the season in terms of possession. I'm optimistic this team can step it up a notch.

Actual Thought*

I mean, Kronwall has been given 23 minutes on the PP (most on the team), and he only has 11 shots. So coaches are giving him the opportunity, he just needs to simply play better. I'm sure no one is telling him, "hey Kronner, absolutely do not put the puck on net."

Blash needs to fix some things. Players like Kronwall also need to step up and play better, too.

I think you are over simplifying the situation. The PP is a mess. Just like it was when Blashill was running it as an assistant. Kronwall has been a fantastic player his entire career. Could it be that he is trying his best to conform and execute a poorly constructed plan? Could it be that he doesn't really have confidence in that plan? He was fine on the PP last year when it was among the best in the league.

The PP is not quick and doesn't create lanes. It doesn't force the opposition to scramble. It could be the scheme, it could be the way they practice the scheme, it could be the way they communicate the scheme, or it could be that all of their players suddenly without explanation simultaneously regressed. I am not buying the simultaneous regression theory.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think you are over simplifying the situation. The PP is a mess. Just like it was when Blashill was running it as an assistant. Kronwall has been a fantastic player his entire career. Could it be that he is trying his best to conform and execute a poorly constructed plan? Could it be that he doesn't really have confidence in that plan? He was fine on the PP last year when it was among the best in the league.

The PP is not quick and doesn't create lanes. It doesn't force the opposition to scramble. It could be the scheme, it could be the way they practice the scheme, it could be the way they communicate the scheme, or it could be that all of their players suddenly without explanation simultaneously regressed. I am not buying the simultaneous regression theory.

You do realize that Blahill is not in charge of the PP currently, correct?

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015

But he's the guy who chose the person that is running it. You think he'd ok the current system, or why work with a guy whose gonna go against what you want.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
But he's the guy who chose the person that is running it. You think he'd ok the current system, or why work with a guy whose gonna go against what you want.

Well, we don't really know if that was him or Holland. Sure he had a comfortability with him, but that doesn't mean Ferschweiler shouldn't be accountable if our PP is sucking.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
As much as they don't want to, we need to spread Zetterberg and Datsyuk on different lines to start. That's the only way we can assure this isn't a one line team offensively. It doesn't matter who they play with, they will drive possession. It'll help others too to play with Datsyuk(Tatar mainly). Having one of them on the ice for 2/3 of the game >> both of them for 1/3 of the game right now.

Actual Thought*

He is the head coach. He hired the guy running it. When Babcock hired Blashill and he failed to run an effective PP he demoted him for "seasoning". Hiller came in and had the PP clicking. Babcock took Hiller with him to Toronto for some strange reason.

So what's been working? All I can think of is goaltending. You want to give him credit for that? Go ahead
No doubt. For 15 games Blashill's post game remarks have included "We didn't play our best hockey". Whose ****ing job is it to make them play their best hockey? Why even have a coach? When is the game where they can say "We played well for 60 minutes"?

The head coach is accountable for his staff. It is his job to hold them accountable.

Actual Thought*

Well they have more wins than losses. They've had good games. Clearly consistency is an issue.

They have not had good games. They have had some good individual performances. There is a massive difference.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Adding Lidstrom/Rafalski to this team would make them a LOT better, but they still wouldn't be Presidents Trophy winners.

I think adding a prime(ish) Lidstrom and Rafalski makes this team President Trophy contenders. The Wings defense is probably one of the worst in the league, maybe Columbus is worse.

I think this team has a lot of forward depth, I just don't think people are putting enough emphasis on outlet passes from the defense. That's why our offense was so good back during the Lidstrom/Rafalski era.

Actual Thought*

Yeah, you're wrong. They've definitely had some good games but I don't expect you to admit that.

I have yet to see one. They have consistently been out shot and out chanced. They have consistently lost the territorial battle. They have consistently had more giveaways than any of their opponents. Please list all those games that they played well for 60 minutes.

They are 30th in the league for shots for.
They are 5th for shots against.

Which games were good?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I have yet to see one. They have consistently been out shot and out chanced. They have consistently lost the territorial battle. They have consistently had more giveaways than any of their opponents. Please list all those games that they played well for 60 minutes.

Which games were good?
First two games, off the top of my head. Other than that it's been good periods here and there, but no complete games.

Actual Thought*

First two games, off the top of my head. Other than that it's been good periods here and there, but no complete games.

Both of those games were won by individual performances. At best they were won by one line and goaltending. Neither were strong 60 minute team performances. They have had some decent periods but they are the minority. I would say game 2 has been their best performance of the season.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He isn't the answer. Hell, I don't even expect him to play well until after Christmas. He is, however, our best player and he will makes us better.

Actual Thought*

He isn't the answer. Hell, I don't even expect him to play well until after Christmas. He is, however, our best player and he will makes us better.

I would expect him to be good the first couple games back. Then when the adrenaline wears off and the grind sets in I would expect his lack of off season training to catch up to him. Even at 70% he is very good but he turn the whole team around and carry them to the finish line. I think that is too much to ask.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Which games were good?

They won the possession battle against Dallas just last game. Two good games against Tampa.

Actual Thought*

They won the possession battle against Dallas just last game. Two good games against Tampa.

They were bad in at least one period of each of those games. Even if I conceded those games That 3 of 15 and they lost one of them. Not very good.

Both Tampa games, last game against Dallas.. those were solid games. We've had some other decent ones, last 5-6 games have been alright. Can't only look at SOG all the time.

They got dominated by Toronto only a couple games ago. You could look at everything but shots on goal and still know they have been pretty bad. There isn't a single area that they are as good as last year other than goaltending.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They got dominated by Toronto only a couple games ago. You could look at everything but shots on goal and still know they have been pretty bad. There isn't a single area that they are as good as last year other than goaltending.
I still think there's been a positive trend in the last while. A lot kinda depends on tonight though for me. Another good game and I remain positive that we are ironing out our issues and moving in the right direction. A bad game and I'm back to being a bit pessimistic and doubtful that Blashill can get the team playing the way they need to.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00