Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread Part IV

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I don't get why Spurs are getting linked to so many defensive midfielders when they can easily play Skipp and Hojbjerg there. Especially if they loan out Ndombele, de Celso and Alli, their more progressive midfielders.

In other news, Amiri was loaned out to Genoa. Has he fallen that hard? And speaking of Genoa, Inter just got Caicedo!

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't get why Spurs are getting linked to so many defensive midfielders when they can easily play Skipp and Hojbjerg there. Especially if they loan out Ndombele, de Celso and Alli, their more progressive midfielders.

In other news, Amiri was loaned out to Genoa. Has he fallen that hard? And speaking of Genoa, Inter just got Caicedo!
Spuds are just trying to sign anyone to save face right now. There is no plan there at all. They are just trying to get some headlines, and hope Conte can do the rest.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Zakaria can play with Locatelli
Sure, but they just spent 70 million on Vlahovic. How much more money do they have in a winter window where they were considered poor for the entire 2021 year?

- Romano saying that the Arthur move to Arsenal has collapsed, which might have something to do with their bid for Zakaria being rejected.

- Arsenal still after Osimhen, but nothing really new since the last time I posted that rumour.

- Juve and Barca are in advanced talks for Auba, reports saying that Juve is offering Morata to Arsenal for him...which doesn't make sense. He's still an Atletico player, can a loan club loan him to another club on a loan?

- Zero talk about Douglas Luiz today, that just went dead silent over the past twenty-four hours.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Partly agree. Some of these links make no sense. Spurs need a CM (or DM) with some passing ability.

Right now Conte got three CMs he trust. Skipp, Højbjerg and Winks. Adding one more does make sense - assuming a couple moves out.

And at least we aren’t talking about new wingers.

Reactions: luiginb

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Spuds are just trying to sign anyone to save face right now. There is no plan there at all. They are just trying to get some headlines, and hope Conte can do the rest.

People got to make up their minds. Levy just spending money to save face now? :laugh:

I mean I’m as critical as any of what is happening (seemingly) at Spurs, but Levy is not buying players for 30-40m to “save face”.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sure, but they just spent 70 million on Vlahovic. How much more money do they have in a winter window where they were considered poor for the entire 2021 year?

- Romano saying that the Arthur move to Arsenal has collapsed, which might have something to do with their bid for Zakaria being rejected.

- Arsenal still after Osimhen, but nothing really new since the last time I posted that rumour.

- Juve and Barca are in advanced talks for Auba, reports saying that Juve is offering Morata to Arsenal for him...which doesn't make sense. He's still an Atletico player, can a loan club loan him to another club on a loan?

- Zero talk about Douglas Luiz today, that just went dead silent over the past twenty-four hours.
The figures that Zakaria is being quoted for aren’t breaking the back and they are about to get a bailout check from the Spuds.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
People got to make up their minds. Levy just spending money to save face now? :laugh:

I mean I’m as critical as any of what is happening (seemingly) at Spurs, but Levy is not buying players for 30-40m to “save face”.
He absolutely is. He is just going for names. There is no coherent strategy. They are just trying to get “a guy”. They’ve missed on what 2-3 targets already and they are all different players, different play styles, different positions. Different way of playing said position. There is no plan whatsoever. Sure Conte is good enough he can might be able to salvage it but they aren’t exactly playing chess here. You said it yourself yesterday. Missing Diaz (and Adama to an extent) and going for Kulusevski is a great example of this. He has resorted to just trying to get the players that he signed for Juventus that Juve doesn’t want anymore. Used the bird analogy yesterday too. If you can’t sign an eagle it doesn’t make sense to sign a penguin because your zoo needs a bird exhibit.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Savant sure loves acting like an expert about anything Spurs. :rolleyes:
I assure you whatever this is doesn’t require being an expert to see.

spuds missed their primary targets and now they are panic buying to try to save face and make it look like they are capable of closing a deal. Of course the problem is there isn’t enough time left in the window so Paratici is going for players that he knows, but also aren’t good enough for Juventus. Where is the lie here?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He absolutely is. He is just going for names. There is no coherent strategy. They are just trying to get “a guy”. They’ve missed on what 2-3 targets already and they are all different players, different play styles, different positions. Different way of playing said position. There is no plan whatsoever. Sure Conte is good enough he can might be able to salvage it but they aren’t exactly playing chess here. You said it yourself yesterday. Missing Diaz (and Adama to an extent) and going for Kulusevski is a great example of this. He has resorted to just trying to get the players that he signed for Juventus that Juve doesn’t want anymore. Used the bird analogy yesterday too. If you can’t sign an eagle it doesn’t make sense to sign a penguin because your zoo needs a bird exhibit.

Come on. Don’t dig any further.

I have listened to fans complaining about how Levy is always trying to save a million on deals for 20 years. How we have missed out on all these players because he thinks more about finances than what happens on the pitch. And now he is just going to blow 30-40m on someone because he needs to save face?

I don’t have much trust in Paratici. But I’ll await to judge him and Conte until we actually see movements - and not to judge them on players we are linked to in the media (even if those links do scare me). Even if I’m painfully aware of Conte’s last summer at Chelsea. Not sure if he is the best when it comes to evaluating transfers. And Paratici’s record is fairly questionable as well, but Levy is not sanctioning purchases for political reasons.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
First time Spurs interest in Kulusevski was mentioned was during one of Romano's streams around a month ago. Wouldn't call it a panic buy, just an alternative target.

That being said I'm not entirely happy with Paratici so far. We'll see.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Come on. Don’t dig any further.

I have listened to fans complaining about how Levy is always trying to save a million on deals for 20 years. How we have missed out on all these players because he thinks more about finances than what happens on the pitch. And now he is just going to blow 30-40m on someone because he needs to save face?

I don’t have much trust in Paratici. But I’ll await to judge him and Conte until we actually see movements - and not to judge them on players we are linked to in the media (even if those links do scare me). Even if I’m painfully aware of Conte’s last summer at Chelsea. Not sure if he is the best when it comes to evaluating transfers. And Paratici’s record is fairly questionable as well, but Levy is not sanctioning purchases for political reasons.
How do you think they convinced Conte to come over? If memory serves they had a very ambitious list including names like Vlahovic (went to Juve) and Brozovic (extended with Inter) who Conte took the job. If I imagined that feel free to call me out. That’s fair. Now they’ve also lost on Adama and Diaz. Yes I believe they are trying to save face. They have to show Conte (and maybe Kane too) that can close deals. The problem is obviously though.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Brighton have "signed" Union SG striker Deniz Undav, who's basically been the MVP of the Belgian League so far (and a huge reason why they're the surprise league leaders) with 19 goals and 10 assists in 25 games, for €7m although the transfer is planned for the end of the season.

I do say "signed" because Brighton and Union have the same owner (Tony Bloom) so he's basically paying €7m to himself or something? :huh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Brighton have "signed" Union SG striker Deniz Undav, who's basically been the MVP of the Belgian League so far (and a huge reason why they're the surprise league leaders) with 19 goals and 10 assists in 25 games, for €7m although the transfer is planned for the end of the season.

I do say "signed" because Brighton and Union have the same owner (Tony Bloom) so he's basically paying €7m to himself or something? :huh:

I wonder if Brighton steal his targets was the final straw for Eberl...

...BMG has been linked to Undav heavily in the german press and I had been meaning to ask you about him for the past few days.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
How do you think they convinced Conte to come over? If memory serves they had a very ambitious list including names like Vlahovic (went to Juve) and Brozovic (extended with Inter) who Conte took the job. If I imagined that feel free to call me out. That’s fair. Now they’ve also lost on Adama and Diaz. Yes I believe they are trying to save face. They have to show Conte (and maybe Kane too) that can close deals. The problem is obviously though.

You believe Conte of all managers will just accept anyone as long as they are expensive enough?

I would be worried about losing Conte if Spurs can’t bring in players (probably not now but in the summer). But I don’t think buying random players for the sake of it (“saving face”) would matter at all for Conte. If anything he seems like a guy that might walk after Spurs have spent 100m just because they didn’t listen to what he specifically needed.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You believe Conte of all managers will just accept anyone as long as they are expensive enough?

I would be worried about losing Conte if Spurs can’t bring in players (probably not now but in the summer). But I don’t think buying random players for the sake of it (“saving face”) would matter at all for Conte. If anything he seems like a guy that might walk after Spurs have spent 100m just because they didn’t listen to what he specifically needed.

Nope, he wouldn't. That's why I don't understand the argument. They aren't going to buy random players. That being said if the summer comes and he thinks they f***ed him over in January he would leave.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Nope, he wouldn't. That's why I don't understand the argument. They aren't going to buy random players. That being said if the summer comes and he thinks they f***ed him over in January he would leave.
This is what I am trying to say. You may be articulating it better. But the player quality also isn’t there. They need to show Conte they can close a deal
They literally are though missing a RWB and a LW and pivoting to a positionless forward a CM makes no sense. That is literally random because there is no strategy. And yes there are going to be Conte problems if they show they can’t close deals. As Rafa Benitez said at Valencia “I asked for a table and they bought me a lamp shade”

Meanwhile Juventus laugh their way to the bank getting rid of players that they don’t want because they found a desperate sucker.

Last edited:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I wonder if Brighton steal his targets was the final straw for Eberl...

...BMG has been linked to Undav heavily in the german press and I had been meaning to ask you about him for the past few days.

He's been linked to a lot of clubs. As recent as yesterday I read he had an agreement with Wolfsburg.

Hard to tell if he's a one-hit-wonder or a late bloomer. Played in the German 3rd division before coming to Union. He's not that big or fast or skilled if you ask me. But this Union team.. it's a like a perfect storm with a cast of misfits. I find it hard to explain. Undav has insane chemistry with fellow striker Dante Vanzeir (a Genk reject) so how good will both of them be when seperated?

Anyway I don't think Brighton needs him, or will have any use for him, I think this is just the owner finding a clever way to put some extra cash into one of his clubs.

Reactions: cgf

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
They literally are though missing a RWB and a LW and pivoting to a positionless forward a CM makes no sense. That is literally random because there is no strategy.

By all accounts they were only getting a wingback if Doherty was leaving which wasn't possible. As for CM they've been after one all window I'm pretty sure.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

I think that's a fair price for Bentancur but far too much for Kulusevski. Not entirely happy with Paratici signing two of his former signings either.

However I will say that I am extremely happy that Levy decided to invest into the squad this window. That CL spot is ripe for the taking.

Reactions: Havre

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I think that's a fair price for Bentancur but far too much for Kulusevski. Not entirely happy with Paratici signing two of his former signings either.

However I will say that I am extremely happy that Levy decided to invest into the squad this window. That CL spot is ripe for the taking.

I mean Juventus clearly don’t think Kulusevski and Bentancur are CL level, (Juventus currently in 5th for the record), but if Conte can get them there, more power to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad