Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread Part IV

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I have always found it interesting how difficult it is to tell by listening to players who are the ones with intelligence on the pitch. Kane is hardly an impressive character in interviews. Cliches on top of cliches. Rarely anything interesting. But his football intelligence is very high.

Ledley King even worse. On the pitch King played like someone with IQ of 170. In interviews you can deduct 100 of those points (love him though - and I’m not necessarily suggesting he is stupid - just not an impressive speaker - I have no view on his overall intelligence).

Reactions: cgf

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I completely get Messi is on a different level. He is. But... that doesn't mean Diaz was not at least very impressive in the Copa. Diaz scores against Argentina, and if penalties go differently, maybe there's a completely different discussion of the tournament. Hell, two matches against what's typically the toughest opponent, Diaz scored for Colombia.

I'm fine with it either way. I think it's getting into the weeds on a meh comment.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
At least I feel Kulusevski makes more sense than Diaz. However I still think the money is better spent elsewhere.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
@Vasilevskiy Buying Diaz for 45 million plus variables isn’t comparable to loaning Traore. If Barca were dumb enough to buy Traore then it’s an actual discussion.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I completely get Messi is on a different level. He is. But... that doesn't mean Diaz was not at least very impressive in the Copa. Diaz scores against Argentina, and if penalties go differently, maybe there's a completely different discussion of the tournament. Hell, two matches against what's typically the toughest opponent, Diaz scored for Colombia.

I'm fine with it either way. I think it's getting into the weeds on a meh comment.
It's fine, the rest of us can walk and chew gum at the same time. No one needed the Messi aside when it was obvious the purpose was praise for Diaz's tournament.

Reactions: Savant

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I have always found it interesting how difficult it is to tell by listening to players who are the ones with intelligence on the pitch. Kane is hardly an impressive character in interviews. Cliches on top of cliches. Rarely anything interesting. But his football intelligence is very high.

Ledley King even worse. On the pitch King played like someone with IQ of 170. In interviews you can deduct 100 of those points (love him though - and I’m not necessarily suggesting he is stupid - just not an impressive speaker - I have no view on his overall intelligence).

Some of that is that footballers often don't have the most charisma & are just bad at public speaking because their stardom from an early age meant they didn't need to develop a personality to gain the attention / acclaim that most of us develop a sense of humor to acquire.

Some of it is that many footballers are just massively ignorant about anything outside of football because they've devoted their every waking moment to kicking a ball or partying/having sex. Of course, you do get your Kramer's who are genuinely intelligent people with disparate interests, but those are the exception even more in football than they are in the general population.

Footballing intelligence is very different from other kinds of intelligence; it's much more about processing objects in a 3d space quickly, rather than picking your words or understanding complex concepts/systems.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Re: FSG spending money

Financially, I think LFC has had to navigate the last two years cautiously. They'll have to choose between Salah and their wage structure soon. If they choose Salah, that probably opens the door for fat paydays for at least Van Dijk and Alisson.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Some of that is that footballers often don't have the most charisma & are just bad at public speaking because their stardom from an early age meant they didn't need to develop a personality to gain the attention / acclaim that most of us develop a sense of humor to acquire.

Some of it is that many footballers are just massively ignorant about anything outside of football because they've devoted their every waking moment to kicking a ball or partying/having sex. Of course, you do get your Kramer's who are genuinely intelligent people with disparate interests, but those are the exception even more in football than they are in the general population.

Footballing intelligence is very different from other kinds of intelligence; it's much more about processing objects in a 3d space quickly, rather than picking your words or understanding complex concepts/systems.

I guess this will soon be off topic :laugh:

I agree with most of that I guess, but I’m comparing football players with football players. Not sure if Spurs got many interesting players (in terms of listening to them), in that regard that aligns well with how the team is on the pitch - stupid, but there are certainly some better than Kane. Ben Davies as an example. Funnily enough on the pitch he is someone that will quite regularly take some very stupid decisions (thankfully less so lately).

As for Kulusevski (getting slightly back on topic). I don’t know him well enough either on or off the pitch (even if I understand Swedish). At times on the pitch he seems to have some decent vision at least.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'm very afraid of them triggering

I’m not that afraid, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t at all concerned. I think it may depend on other movements that are looking to make this summer. That said if his wages are what it sounds like they might be then maybe they do move for him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Re: FSG spending money

Financially, I think LFC has had to navigate the last two years cautiously. They'll have to choose between Salah and their wage structure soon. If they choose Salah, that probably opens the door for fat paydays for at least Van Dijk and Alisson.
I don’t agree. Virgil and Alisson just extended. They are doing Salah last because everyone knows he will get the most

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I guess this will soon be off topic :laugh:

I agree with most of that I guess, but I’m comparing football players with football players. Not sure if Spurs got many interesting players (in terms of listening to them), in that regard that aligns well with how the team is on the pitch - stupid, but there are certainly some better than Kane. Ben Davies as an example. Funnily enough on the pitch he is someone that will quite regularly take some very stupid decisions (thankfully less so lately).

As for Kulusevski (getting slightly back on topic). I don’t know him well enough either on or off the pitch (even if I understand Swedish). At times on the pitch he seems to have some decent vision at least.

I worded that poorly & went on an unnecessary diatribe.

The point was supposed to be more about the differences between the kind of intelligence needed to process things on a football pitch, versus the kind of intelligence needed to be a compelling speaker, versus the kind of intelligence needed to understand complex concepts, etc...than what I ended up writing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00