Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread Part I - Featuring Less Therapy and More Transfers

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But he's going to get plenty of offers. That was my point, not his current contract.

He will. But his next step seems like it will consider footballing opportunities and where he will be happiest, and not just where he'll get paid the most, so Barca just needs to be in the game financially...since they seem to be his prefered destination...and a competitive offer to Karim is still unlikely to come close to Coutinho or Doumbele's current wages; given that Dortmund are reportedly the other top spot for him and the wages they offer are well within a healthy Barca's abilities of matching.

So signing an up & comer like Karim doesn't mean Barca can't still improve their financial situation if they also shed some of those less impactful high-earners.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Thing is, they have to improve drastically. They can get rid of Coutinho, Dembele and Umtiti, they still need a lot of money to rebuild their attack and defense if they can't use their own academy.
And spend 40, 50 M fees (minimum) on some of the names Barca fans are hoping, + wages for MANY players, well, let's just say it's hardly realistic.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Salzburg didn't choke. They have a young talented squad, and their youth showed in some moments. They're still better than many CL teams. Wolfsurg is still better than many teams too in fact. It was a very level group.
They missed a ton of penalties this group stage or they would be through.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What's the problem with the Salah extension, he wants too much money or term? Would they be wise to overpay on a yearly contract instead of paying less on a longer term one that could turn bad?
The problem is FSG. They haven’t signed off yet. That simple.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
While I don't think you can say with certainty what the players make as multiple sites quote different wages, I think you can come to a reasonable approximation. Barça would be shedding over 100 million in salaries without Griezmann, Coutinho, Dembele, Umtiti, Kun and Sergi Robert on the books. Additionally there are other players who could be added to that list.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
While I don't think you can say with certainty what the players make as multiple sites quote different wages, I think you can come to a reasonable approximation. Barça would be shedding over 100 million in salaries without Griezmann, Coutinho, Dembele, Umtiti, Kun and Sergi Robert on the books. Additionally there are other players who could be added to that list.
Roberto and Griez are off the books? Heck Umtiti isn't even gone.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thing is, they have to improve drastically. They can get rid of Coutinho, Dembele and Umtiti, they still need a lot of money to rebuild their attack and defense if they can't use their own academy.
And spend 40, 50 M fees (minimum) on some of the names Barca fans are hoping, + wages for MANY players, well, let's just say it's hardly realistic.

Two of Adeyemi, Torres, or Olmo over the next two windows would be a dramatic change for them up front. And since most transfers are paid in installments, that’s not necessarily an unrealistic outlay...especially if it’s being done in concert with the wage bill coming down even more than it already has.

Defense would still be a big issue but I haven’t seen their financial statements, so I dunno how feasible it would be for them to address both the attack & defense in 1 calendar year without a massive sale like Frenkie or Pedri. I would assume that spending big on a CB would have to wait after spending that much on attackers, but they do have crazy revenues when operating at full capacity; even after losing Leo :-/

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not sure what the problem is apart from your obsession and trolling. Statement clearly reads that's how much they'd be saving if those players were off the books.
And theyre pretty much off the books. Roberto has an expiring contract and greizzy is playing pretty much every game for Atleti which would trigger the obligation

Reactions: TheLeastOfTheBunch

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Roberto and Griez are off the books? Heck Umtiti isn't even gone.

Griez becomes a mandatory buy for 40M if he plays 50% of the games he’s available for, which he is easily on track for at the moment.

Contract renewal talk stalled with Roberto and he will be free to leave in the summer, just like Dembele. Unless both of those guys change their minds about their situations.

Umtiti, Coutinho and Pjanic will be harder to rid of.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not sure what the problem is apart from your obsession and trolling. Statement clearly reads that's how much they'd be saving if those players were off the books.
How much would they save with 25 players off the book then?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Rangnick is interested in bringing a RB in with Brighton's Lamptey and RB Leipzig right-back Nordi Mukiele names being thrown around.
Getting Lamptey and Haidara would be a great winter window. Get a new CB and one more Dmid and can Maguire and McTominay in the summer and it would be a huge step in the right direction.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
How much would they save with 25 players off the book then?

Even more, obviously, though I'm not sure why you're going down that road other than the reasons I mentioned earlier. The players mentioned aren't essential nor have they been for some time if ever for various reasons.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Getting Lamptey and Haidara would be a great winter window. Get a new CB and one more Dmid and can Maguire and McTominay in the summer and it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Haidara isn't really a defensive mid, he's a box to boxer / attacking mid. At his best, he's an 8 that you let charge up & down the pitch to support the attack or press.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Haidara isn't really a defensive mid, he's a box to boxer / attacking mid. At his best, he's an 8 that you let charge up & down the pitch to support the attack or press.
No I know that’s why I want one more DM. A midfield of Bruno, Haidara and a good DM would be fantastic. Fred and McTominay are bad.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A part of me would want Adams or Zakaria for the work rate alone

Zakaria is a different category from Haidara or Adams. He'd be great business at over 50M if only BMG had him under contract for longer. The pandemic & his injury/down season coming at the worst possible time, really screwed Eberl out of a massive chunk of cash...assuming he can't convince Zak to extend; which seems unlikely this close to him being able to sign a pre-contract.

Reactions: Gecklund

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Absolutely the could just as well head to Europa League.
Doesn't change much to the point.
Not sure how Sevilla are suddenly minnows but hey to each his own.
Minnow comparatively. They're not exactly setting records in La Liga right now either.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That group might not contain a CL contender, but they're not minnows either. Those are 4 teams that can get results against the top teams and would have a chance to advance from almost any group...Lille & Salzburg in the naive but talented way, with FC VW & Sevilla more in the veteran & gritty mold.
Sure, minnows may be unfair, but in terms of the CL, they're a C-caliber team. In a group with two of Bayern/PSG/ManCity/Liverpool/etc., Sevilla/Wolfsburg/RBL/Lille are not going to be expected to advance. Is it possible? Sure. But in terms of advancing, it would be a lot easier for Lille to advance in the group it currently is in rather than in, say, Group A. Or, put it another way, if you were a Red Bull team wanting to advance, would you rather be Leipzig or Salzburg? I think the answer is easy.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Zakaria is a different category from Haidara or Adams. He'd be great business at over 50M if only BMG had him under contract for longer. The pandemic & his injury/down season coming at the worst possible time, really screwed Eberl out of a massive chunk of cash...assuming he can't convince Zak to extend; which seems unlikely this close to him being able to sign a pre-contract.
Hopefully arsenal actually are the front runners

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad