OT - NO POLITICS Winter is coming.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I had to give up my 2003 Toyota Tundra last year after 18 years of driving it; the engine, interior, etc. was all in very good shape, but there was rust in the frame that was making it unsafe to drive for too much longer. My mechanic said I might get a year or two more out of it which was fine by me, but when my wife asked if I would let our kids drive it I knew it was time to get a new truck. Broke me heart, but she was right about me not wanting to let the kids (teenagers) drive it.

There had been a recall on frame rust for the early to mid 2000's Tundras, but they put an under coating on it twice which was enough to "resolve" the problem and while I can't complain about not getting enough time out of an 18 year old truck, I still do miss her...the Stepside model was only made for 2 years

Attachments

• IMG_2480 copy.jpg
    IMG_2480 copy.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 1

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I had to give up my 2003 Toyota Tundra last year after 18 years of driving it; the engine, interior, etc. was all in very good shape, but there was rust in the frame that was making it unsafe to drive for too much longer. My mechanic said I might get a year or two more out of it which was fine by me, but when my wife asked if I would let our kids drive it I knew it was time to get a new truck. Broke me heart, but she was right about me not wanting to let the kids (teenagers) drive it.

There had been a recall on frame rust for the early to mid 2000's Tundras, but they put an under coating on it twice which was enough to "resolve" the problem and while I can't complain about not getting enough time out of an 18 year old truck, I still do miss her...the Stepside model was only made for 2 years
It was a pretty truck!

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I'm only 51 and I don't have $ :laugh: but I'm driving a 2008 Saturn that, unless I suddenly become independently wealthy, I plan to keep running as looooooong as I can. Would I like a newer car? Sure, but I would not like the payments that come with it. My total daily commute is 8 miles. I rarely do long distance drives. The Saturn is just fine for my needs right now, and it only has 113,000 miles on it. My money is needed in plenty of other areas (looking at you, rent... :skeptic::skeptic::skeptic:)
Meh my last three cars, 250k, 230k, and my last one, 270k. I spoiled myself and got an 17 accord with only 16k on it. Yes I got smoked on the price. Tranny blew in the last for the second time. I run my cars to the ground.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
how much do you think you could get for that baby now......
thousands.
was a great car. Real steel back in those days.
I have a 64, not an impala but Chevelle. Not perfect, but very good shape. I think i could get 20k for it in a day. An impala in similar condition would fetch more. Without question. Especially if it’s a manual

Edit: sorry just saw the pic. STUNNING

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Hey everyone. Asking for some prayers or good vibes sent my dad's way. He's having total knee replacement surgery tomorrow at New England Baptist. Just one knee tomorrow. Then in a few months the other. I know he'll be fine. Just figured any extra prayers and good vibes sent his way will keep him extra safe and surgery be a success.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to keep Big Joe in their thoughts :)

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
First car was a 93 mustang convertible with 5.0 badging but definitely not a 5.0 in it. My dad worked at a dealership at the time and someone used it as a trade in. Drove that for like 10 months, then made the decision to get rid of it for a 98 Plymouth Breeze.

Drove that for a few years before trading up to an 07 Jeep GC. Kept that for a few years then bought a new 14 Camry Sport SE for better gas mileage. Drove that for quite a bit.

Would've drove it into the ground but someone hit my car while it was parked on the street in front of my house and just kept going. Ring camera caught a bit of it but no plates unfortunately. Person must have been drunk or a lost delivery driver not paying attention. Car had too many issues and too many back and forths to the body shop for it to be worth keeping.

Traded in for a used 18 Tesla Model 3. Then earlier this year traded in for a new 22 Model Y Performance.

But with how much of a schmuck Elon has been of late thinking I may move away from Tesla sooner rather than later once another EV catches my eye. He's always been a turd imo but now it's just too much for even me. that's how you know it's bad.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Ha I'm sure that would definitely would do a number on the clutch after a while of that. I'm 32 but I've never owned an automatic, aside work assigned vehicles obviously

I was actually kinda shocked that I found a barely used 2019 Honda civic that was a manual and it's randomly a 6 speed and not 5.
Although the E-brake on it can't stand because it's just a button that you flick up or down and not the old school style. Idk just seems like one of those electronic features that I can picture failing any time
My wife's '21 CRV has one of those. I wonder what would happen if the brakes fail requiring the use of the E-brake? So you're driving along at 50 MPH and realize you have no brakes, in vehicles with a traditional E-brake you can safely make it off the road or (in my case I've driven home) by using the E-brake. My two other vehicles have the traditional E-brake. I wonder if the push button E-brake locks 'em up?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Speaking of cars...

Looking for advice from some of you mechanically inclined people.

I have a 98 Jeep TJ that has extremely low mileage on it given it's age (93k)

It has its issues like all Jeeps do, but recently it feels like it's RPM limited/capped. It won't go over 3K RPM in D (yes sadly an automatic) even if I slam the pedal to the floor. If it's in L it will go as high as needed, same for 2. Makes driving anything over back roads impossible since getting it over 50 is basically impossible.

Any ideas? Love the rise, want to keep it forever as a beach cruiser, etc, but it's really not worth dumping a lot of money into it if it's a transmission issue or something.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
My wife's '21 CRV has one of those. I wonder what would happen if the brakes fail requiring the use of the E-brake? So you're driving along at 50 MPH and realize you have no brakes, in vehicles with a traditional E-brake you can safely make it off the road or (in my case I've driven home) by using the E-brake. My two other vehicles have the traditional E-brake. I wonder if the push button E-brake locks 'em up?
The electronic Parking brake is modulated by ABS on all 4 wheels,unlike the traditional mechanical E brake which applies the rear brakes only relative to the application level.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
tell ya, I`ve now received 6 different Birthday offers for my 53rd on Nov 2 from restaurants I have literally never stepped foot in all inviting me to enjoy dessert on them....will do, perhaps that`s the only meal I will consume Wednesday:)

Reactions: sooshii and BMC

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The electronic Parking brake is modulated by ABS on all 4 wheels,unlike the traditional mechanical E brake which applies the rear brakes only relative to the application level.
What does that all mean? It sounds like it locks 'em up!

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
And you know folks are going to complain about how its taxed :laugh:

First car was a 93 mustang convertible with 5.0 badging but definitely not a 5.0 in it. My dad worked at a dealership at the time and someone used it as a trade in. Drove that for like 10 months, then made the decision to get rid of it for a 98 Plymouth Breeze.

Drove that for a few years before trading up to an 07 Jeep GC. Kept that for a few years then bought a new 14 Camry Sport SE for better gas mileage. Drove that for quite a bit.

Would've drove it into the ground but someone hit my car while it was parked on the street in front of my house and just kept going. Ring camera caught a bit of it but no plates unfortunately. Person must have been drunk or a lost delivery driver not paying attention. Car had too many issues and too many back and forths to the body shop for it to be worth keeping.

Traded in for a used 18 Tesla Model 3. Then earlier this year traded in for a new 22 Model Y Performance.

But with how much of a schmuck Elon has been of late thinking I may move away from Tesla sooner rather than later once another EV catches my eye. He's always been a turd imo but now it's just too much for even me. that's how you know it's bad.
Dude's a Bond villain

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Elon is a visionary and is making the world a better place, though as a TSLA stockholder I get concerned about how he gets tunnel vision with his pet projects and personal vendettas (which is what the whole twitter acquisition is about) and that he's not as focused on innovations at Tesla. But despite being a troll in the way he comes across, all his projects are ultimately benevolent.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Elon is a visionary and is making the world a better place, though as a TSLA stockholder I get concerned about how he gets tunnel vision with his pet projects and personal vendettas (which is what the whole twitter acquisition is about) and that he's not as focused on innovations at Tesla. But despite being a troll in the way he comes across, all his projects are ultimately benevolent.
He comes off like a troll but overall he means well.

Reactions: Gordoff

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I leased my last 2 cars since I worked in town and took the train pre pandemic. Even when I commuted to metrowest for a year, I never went over my miles which I was so paranoid about.

Back in January 2020 I was able to trade in my leased 2017 Crosstrek for the 2019 model with the sunroof and in dash navigation I wanted. It is my perfect forever car. I just looked at my odometer this morning and I'm only at around 8,600 miles. This car may outlast me.

I now own the car outright which is a blessing for so many reasons.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

He comes off like a troll but overall he means well.
What he's done with Tesla not just in terms of automobiles but in battery technology is absolutely revolutionary for the world. Not only a democratization of energy access and breaking oil's grip on the world but also saving the environment from internal combustion engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad