OT - NO POLITICS Winter is coming.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I'm only 51 and I don't have $ :laugh: but I'm driving a 2008 Saturn that, unless I suddenly become independently wealthy, I plan to keep running as looooooong as I can. Would I like a newer car? Sure, but I would not like the payments that come with it. My total daily commute is 8 miles. I rarely do long distance drives. The Saturn is just fine for my needs right now, and it only has 113,000 miles on it. My money is needed in plenty of other areas (looking at you, rent... :skeptic::skeptic::skeptic:)
It's Good your commute is close. Keep up on oil changes and basic things and it could go a while. 113k miles isn't a ton especially driving less then 20 miles/day. I don't know squat about Saturn's but regular keep up is key. Brake pads especially. Don't let the pads wear down all the way.

Reactions: sooshii

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Does anyone here know anything about heat pumps?

Can they heat your whole home (1500 sq ft)
How many would be needed
Cost compared to a furnace?
Heat Pumps are great and should easily be able to heat and cool 1500 sq ft. The question is how your heat is sent through the house now. If you have forced air then it should be easy as long as your furnace is compatible with the outdoor unit (Heat Pump) or actually the heat exchanger attached to your furnace. If you have baseboard heating then it should be possible to run a heat pump from outside into your attic which my neighbour had done. I don’t know much about that one as mine is forced air. He has two units I believe. One for each floor I think. Apparently the life span of a Heat Pump is around only twelve years. That might take away some of the savings bonuses. With a Heat Pump your furnace is a backup so you will probably need both.

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015
Does anyone here know anything about heat pumps?

Can they heat your whole home (1500 sq ft)
How many would be needed
Cost compared to a furnace?

Mrs. Otter and I have heat pumps, and a home just under 1500 sq ft. One unit upstairs, one downstairs. We've never needed the oil furnace to add extra head on especially cold days, and the pumps are beautiful at killing humidity in the summer (replacing our in-window AC units).

Our home is well insulated, and we've been happily surprised at the moderate costs.

Based on our experience, I highly recommend them.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I love the Fall and don't mind most of the Winter. Sept through Dec is my favorite part of the year. You get some Summer in Sept, Fall and a bit of Winter.

The Summer was too damn hot for me.

Only thing I worry about is the cost of heating the house
I'm the same way. Except for your age. I'll be 59 in a few weeks.

I'm gaining on you.✌️🎃

Reactions: Ladyfan

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Heat Pumps are great and should easily be able to heat and cool 1500 sq ft. The question is how your heat is sent through the house now. If you have forced air then it should be easy as long as your furnace is compatible with the outdoor unit (Heat Pump) or actually the heat exchanger attached to your furnace. If you have baseboard heating then it should be possible to run a heat pump from outside into your attic which my neighbour had done. I don’t know much about that one as mine is forced air. He has two units I believe. One for each floor I think. Apparently the life span of a Heat Pump is around only twelve years. That might take away some of the savings bonuses. With a Heat Pump your furnace is a backup so you will probably need both.
sounds good....its going to be a new build.....no attic

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
I was reminded while reading about everyone's vehicles, that the average millionaire drives their car an average of ten years. I'm guessing that financial acuity may have something to do with why they're millionaires.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Horrible news out of South Korea with 150+ people killed in a stampede while celebrating Halloween. What a horrifying and utterly senseless way to die.

No wonder I hate crowds.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Has anyone followed The Delphi Murder case?

Two young teens in Delphi Indiana were murdered 4-5 years ago. They’re was a documentary series about it on HLN last year, I think.

Anyway, they‘ve apparently arrested someone.

I hope he gets what he deserves.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I was reminded while reading about everyone's vehicles, that the average millionaire drives their car an average of ten years. I'm guessing that financial acuity may have something to do with why they're millionaires.
I am no millionaire (at the opposite end), but I typically buy new and keep about 10 years. My Accord is on its 13th year. My next car may be my last, so I want to choose the right one.

I used to finance for 5 years and have 5 years of no car payments. I am living on a lot less money now that I am retired so I would rather not have a car payment. I have some $$$ set aside for a new car but not enough.

I went to a Halloween party last night. I saw some folks that I had not seen since I retired (a year and a half ago). The house was built in 1806 and was very nice. The guy having the party really gets into Halloween. He is a great guy. It was really nice to see everyone. I don't miss the job stress but do miss some of the people.

I went to the party as myself.:witch:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I am no millionaire (at the opposite end), but I typically buy new and keep about 10 years. My Accord is on its 13th year. My next car may be my last, so I want to choose the right one.

I used to finance for 5 years and have 5 years of no car payments. I am living on a lot less money now that I am retired so I would rather not have a car payment. I have some $$$ set aside for a new car but not enough.

I went to a Halloween party last night. I saw some folks that I had not seen since I retired (a year and a half ago). The house was built in 1806 and was very nice. The guy having the party really gets into Halloween. He is a great guy. It was really nice to see everyone. I don't miss the job stress but do miss some of the people.

I went to the party as myself.:witch:

thats pretty much what Ive done. Buy new and drive ‘em until they die.
Our 2003 ( not typo) Kia Sorrento finally died last year. My old 2005 Honda CRV is still on the road with my daughter.
The Bride has a 2015 ( bought in ‘14) Mazda C5 will only 17K on it it. Should go another 8 years or so.
My 2018 Jeep Trailhawk ( bought in ‘17) has 38K on it . Should go another 5 years.
But I am meticulous about getting them regular service.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Our 2003 ( not typo) Kia Sorrento finally died last year. My old 2005 Honda CRV is still on the road with my daughter.
The Bride has a 2015 ( bought in ‘14) Mazda C5 will only 17K on it it. Should go another 8 years or so.
My 2018 Jeep Trailhawk ( bought in ‘17) has 38K on it . Should go another 5 years.

I’m the opposite….definitely not rich but I get sick of a car in 3-4 years.

I’ve probably had 9 different cars in the last 20 years.

LOL

Definitely not good money-wise but it helps keep me sane.
Lol

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I always get mine serviced as well.

Many years ago, I had a Honda Civic. I had it 10 years and then my daughter had it for more. We sold it for $800 after 14 years and 224k miles.

LOL

Lol
I have had 8 cars in my life. Only bought one as used.

Reactions: sarge88

aguineapig

Pop ran a garage up here for over forty years and I followed him into the business. Always was able to find a good reliable used car, not always a showroom piece but tough and reliable. Never spent more than 2 grand on a car but those days may be gone. Drive a 2005 Pontiac Vibe/ Toyota Matrix I bought from a carpenter friend he got for fixing a Lady's porch. It's got a digital dash I never bothered to figure out how to use so I don't really know the current mileage. Darin said it had 250 something thousand on it at the time. I have a nickname for it but I don't know why I get some strange looks when I tell people a drive a Vibe-rator.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I only meant to take a nap yesterday afternoon but 13 hours of sleep sure feels nice.

Whoops

I made these before I napped yesterday. I took the paint skin left from my paint pouring activities a few weeks ago and made magnets.

full

Has anyone followed The Delphi Murder case?

Two young teens in Delphi Indiana were murdered 4-5 years ago. They’re was a documentary series about it on HLN last year, I think.

Anyway, they‘ve apparently arrested someone.

I hope he gets what he deserves.
I avoided the case for a long time and then finally listened to the coverage on a few of the true crime podcasts I listen to. I am so happy they found the person. Apparently the press conference is tomorrow.

There is finally justice for sweet Libby and Abby and their families.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
2008 Tacoma with 210,000 miles on it here. My dream is to get to 500K. Regular maintenance means the body will go long before the engine.

Oh, and I am definitely no even close to being a millionaire.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

LOL

Lol
The first car I bought on my own was a 1994 Camaro. Drove it for a few years until I decided I wanted a black one. Hello, 1998 Camaro. Drove that for a few years until I decided that t-tops were a must-have. Hello, 2001 Camaro. Drove that one the longest, until it started wanting major repairs and I finally transitioned to my current "grandma" car. :laugh:

A coworker of mine loves older cars and is always working on some type of project. He told me last week he just bought a black 1978 Camaro to fix up. I told him if it mysteriously disappeared from his driveway, I knew nothing about it lol. So I was briefly nostalgic for my Camaro days, but now the thought of getting in and out of one sends my back into spasms. :wally:

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
The first car I bought on my own was a 1994 Camaro. Drove it for a few years until I decided I wanted a black one. Hello, 1998 Camaro. Drove that for a few years until I decided that t-tops were a must-have. Hello, 2001 Camaro. Drove that one the longest, until it started wanting major repairs and I finally transitioned to my current "grandma" car. :laugh:

A coworker of mine loves older cars and is always working on some type of project. He told me last week he just bought a black 1978 Camaro to fix up. I told him if it mysteriously disappeared from his driveway, I knew nothing about it lol. So I was briefly nostalgic for my Camaro days, but now the thought of getting in and out of one sends my back into spasms. :wally:
Ummm....my first car was a $200 1972 Ford Pinto......foll0wed by a $1500 1976 Chevy Vega

There I said it....it's so hard but....so worth it....My name is Brian and I owned a Pinto and a Vega....

• Haha
Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
waiting for someone to chime in with.....I bought a brand new Yugo...
A guy I dated way back in the early 90s had a Plymouth Horizon. That thing was atrocious lol. Manual transmission and it was very finicky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad