OT - NO POLITICS Winter is coming.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Down Under is of course heading in the other seasonal direction, although you wouldn't know it from this miserable wet spring we've been having. But Tuukka is ready for more long summer evening walks!

IMG_20221012_114808009.jpg

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Just saying,since 1997 I have been driving 2WD trucks that I put snow tires on in winter. I have gotten stuck one time,in a driveway with a deep pitch where the surface was smooth ice under a thin layer of snow. Just a Public Service announcement,traction is first based on tire type and condition,not how many of those tires are being powered. So make sure your tires are in good shape in winter. And 2,4WD and AWD have no benefit in steering control,only propulsion,so slow down on the roads in poor conditions,those spin outs and rollovers are mostly drivers of 4WD and AWD vehicles that don't understand it.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Just saying,since 1997 I have been driving 2WD trucks that I put snow tires on in winter. I have gotten stuck one time,in a driveway with a deep pitch where the surface was smooth ice under a thin layer of snow. Just a Public Service announcement,traction is first based on tire type and condition,not how many of those tires are being powered. So make sure your tires are in good shape in winter. And 2,4WD and AWD have no benefit in steering control,only propulsion,so slow down on the roads in poor conditions,those spin outs and rollovers are mostly drivers of 4WD and AWD vehicles that don't understand it.
I have a very steep driveway and always had a 2WD, stick shift, FW Drive with snow tires and never get stuck on the driveway (as long as I keep the ice under control).

I will probably be getting my first automatic next. Not many make a stick anymore

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I have a very steep driveway and always had a 2WD, stick shift, FW Drive with snow tires and never get stuck on the driveway (as long as I keep the ice under control).

I will probably be getting my first automatic next. Not many make a stick anymore
I drove a stick for a few years but the stop and go traffic through the tunnel at Logan every morning destroyed clutches. We can be sure that automatics are far more accurate and better for gas usage. I have cousins in the UK that have never driven an automatic.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I drove a stick for a few years but the stop and go traffic through the tunnel at Logan every morning destroyed clutches. We can be sure that automatics are far more accurate and better for gas usage. I have cousins in the UK that have never driven an automatic.
Well, I will be 70 in Dec and never owned an automatic.

I will get a new car probably within a year. My Accord has over 170k miles on the original clutch.

My favorite (so far) is the Subaru Crosstrek. They actually make it with a standard shift in the lower model but the gas milage is better with the automatic. I like (for my old hips) that it has 8.7" of ground clearance. Consumer reports gives it a very good review. I would probably get the larger engine as the milage is about the same to the smaller.

I just need to win the lottery!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I will get a new car probably within a year. My Accord has over 170k miles on the original clutch.

My favorite (so far) is the Subaru Crosstrek. They actually make it with a standard shift in the lower model but the gas milage is better with the automatic. I like (for my old hips) that it has 8.7" of ground clearance. Consumer reports gives it a very good review. I would probably get the larger engine as the milage is about the same to the smaller.

I always viewed vehicles as utilitarian,never needed the luxuries. I remember sitting at the Duxbury Yacht Club in line in my 2003 F150 waiting for my daughter and the guy in front of me is driving a 130K Mercedes. I thought, '"here we are at this moment in time at the exact same place doing the exact same thing and it cost me next to nothing to be here,while you paid 130K".

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I always viewed vehicles as utilitarian,never needed the luxuries. I remember sitting at the Duxbury Yacht Club in line in my 2003 F150 waiting for my daughter and the guy in front of me is driving a 130K Mercedes. I thought, '"here we are at this moment in time at the exact same place doing the exact same thing and it cost me next to nothing to be here,while you paid 130K".
I agree. I think it is fun to drive sports cars, but I never had the money and so the car I get needs to work for my everyday life. I can only afford one car....some have several.

If folks want to spend their money on fancy cars, I am OK with it. I spend far too much on the Bs so I have no right to tell others what to spend their cash on.

Reactions: chizzler and BNHL

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Ha I'm sure that would definitely would do a number on the clutch after a while of that. I'm 32 but I've never owned an automatic, aside work assigned vehicles obviously

I was actually kinda shocked that I found a barely used 2019 Honda civic that was a manual and it's randomly a 6 speed and not 5.
Although the E-brake on it can't stand because it's just a button that you flick up or down and not the old school style. Idk just seems like one of those electronic features that I can picture failing any time

Reactions: Gordoff and BNHL

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I totally agree. I know old coworkers that I know have $ and swear by the old 'I buy $500 beater every year and call it a day til it dies'... maybe not that cheap but you know what I mean

Reactions: BNHL

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
My wife says no heat until December. Last night was 39, we had the bedroom windows open and the ceiling fan on.

We fill up our tank twice a year.....now and around March.
Got two 100 gallon fill ups earlier ....had it topped off....only took 60 gallons

We use a programmable thermostat, highest temp we set it is 63....down to 60 at night
with price of oil this year. im not even turning my tstats on until december.plus it hasnt been that cold. luckily.
this morning it was 52 in the bedroom. lol.
in the winter i usually set the temp to 58 and then 52 at night.
if its too cold. the woodstove gets some use.everything is just too expensive now.

Reactions: shelbysdad

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

I love my Crosstrek :)

Reactions: Ladyfan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It is new. I researched it on Consumer reports.

Thanks for the concern! I will use it when I am awake and only in my living room. It will sit on a brick hearth.

Hey, a picture of me riding!:witch:

I am old and don't hate Winter :dunno:
I knew I could count on your common sense. Stay warm.

Right now, I'm not so warm. I'm at Quincy market manning a revolutionary spaces kiosk (sic). 🎃

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I bought this heating pad thing a little over a month ago and it's awesome... throw it over my lap or under my legs with my feet up while watching Bruins/Pats games and it was the best $30 bucks ever.
Screenshot_20221029-141145_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
My wife says no heat until December. Last night was 39, we had the bedroom windows open and the ceiling fan on.

We fill up our tank twice a year.....now and around March.
Got two 100 gallon fill ups earlier ....had it topped off....only took 60 gallons

We use a programmable thermostat, highest temp we set it is 63....down to 60 at night
Some time in November for me. I have Eversource, which gave me the option of setting up a clean energy account through MA & Watertown, where I live. I only heat my bedroom throughout the winter, unless I have a guest. Oh, and the bathroom when I take a shower. :GWC:

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Does anyone here know anything about heat pumps?

Can they heat your whole home (1500 sq ft)
How many would be needed
Cost compared to a furnace?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I totally agree. I know old coworkers that I know have $ and swear by the old 'I buy $500 beater every year and call it a day til it dies'... maybe not that cheap but you know what I mean
I'm only 51 and I don't have $ :laugh: but I'm driving a 2008 Saturn that, unless I suddenly become independently wealthy, I plan to keep running as looooooong as I can. Would I like a newer car? Sure, but I would not like the payments that come with it. My total daily commute is 8 miles. I rarely do long distance drives. The Saturn is just fine for my needs right now, and it only has 113,000 miles on it. My money is needed in plenty of other areas (looking at you, rent... :skeptic::skeptic::skeptic:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad