OT - NO POLITICS Winter is coming.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1666988611363.png

1666988884406.png

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I love the Fall and don't mind most of the Winter. Sept through Dec is my favorite part of the year. You get some Summer in Sept, Fall and a bit of Winter.

The Summer was too damn hot for me.

Only thing I worry about is the cost of heating the house
My wife says no heat until December. Last night was 39, we had the bedroom windows open and the ceiling fan on.

We fill up our tank twice a year.....now and around March.
Got two 100 gallon fill ups earlier ....had it topped off....only took 60 gallons

We use a programmable thermostat, highest temp we set it is 63....down to 60 at night

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My wife says no heat until December. Last night was 39, we had the bedroom windows open and the ceiling fan on.

Got two 100 gallon fill ups earlier ....had it topped off....only took 60 gallons

We use a programmable thermostat, highest temp we set it is 63....down to 60 at night
I will be 70 in Dec, and I have to admit I get colder than I used to.

I got a nice warm throw from LL Bean and because I am unsure how much natural gas will be this winter (and even of there will be enough for everyone) purchased an electric heater for my living room. It just arrived and I may try ot out tonight.

Reactions: GordonHowe

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
As much as I hate California weather and prefer the cold to the hot, at least I'm in a fairly good situation with heating/cooling costs. Our house has solar and the A/C is on electric so we ran A/C for a lot of August/September and the bill still came out with a credit. The heating is on gas but it doesn't get cold enough to have to use it very often. I'd rather just wear wool socks and get a fuzzy blanket than run the heat.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
As much as I hate California weather and prefer the cold to the hot, at least I'm in a fairly good situation with heating/cooling costs. Our house has solar and the A/C is on electric so we ran A/C for a lot of August/September and the bill still came out with a credit. The heating is on gas but it doesn't get cold enough to have to use it very often. I'd rather just wear wool socks and get a fuzzy blanket than run the heat.
My daughter lives in Napa and the weather doesn't get too extreme. She also has solar.

She does miss the summer rain and thunderstorms

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Using the mini splits for heat right now. We have a wood stove but only about two cords of dry wood. 3 cords of wood I stacked last year and 3 green from this year. So i think it will be another hybrid year of mini split and wood stove. I really want to be three years ahead but it will be hard not to burn the 2 year old wood next year.

Lots of planning but nothing is cheaper to heat with than green wood you let dry. Except maybe supper efficient natural gas but none of that in VT. Plus our wood stove has a catalyst so it needs dry wood. But when you get it dialed in it’s crazy to go outside and not see any smoke coming out or the chimney.

Woodstock soapstone, made in Lebanon NH.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

The Missus needs a sweater when its 68, and wants the AC on when its 72. Perfectly comfortable in between. :laugh:

Reactions: sooshii

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Using the mini splits for heat right now. We have a wood stove but only about two cords of dry wood. 3 cords of wood I stacked last year and 3 green from this year. So i think it will be another hybrid year of mini split and wood stove. I really want to be three years ahead but it will be hard not to burn the 2 year old wood next year.

Lots of planning but nothing is cheaper to heat with than green wood you let dry. Except maybe supper efficient natural gas but none of that in VT. Plus our wood stove has a catalyst so it needs dry wood. But when you get it dialed in it’s crazy to go outside and not see any smoke coming out or the chimney.

Woodstock soapstone, made in Lebanon NH.
Absolutely, we used wood for heat growing up. There were nights in the middle of winter when we had the door wide open to try and cool the house down.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I will be 70 in Dec, and I have to admit I get colder than I used to.

I got a nice warm throw from LL Bean and because I am unsure how much natural gas will be this winter (and even of there will be enough for everyone) purchased an electric heater for my living room. It just arrived and I may try ot out tonight.

Please be careful.

Though much better of late, electric heaters can be problematic.

Throw on the throw,

:witch:

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Please be careful.

Throw on the throw,

It is new. I researched it on Consumer reports.

Thanks for the concern! I will use it when I am awake and only in my living room. It will sit on a brick hearth.

Hey, a picture of me riding!:witch:

Does it have to come ,the older I get the more I hate winter.
I am old and don't hate Winter :dunno:

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
The Four Horseman of Fifties Rock and Roll Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry and now The Killer, Jerry Lee Lewis are all gone. There was nobody like you, Killer

Regret never seeing Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis live.....

Please be careful.

Throw on the throw,

Rumpl blankets ftw....a bit expensive but will keep your toesies (and the rest of you) toasty...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad