Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Discontent III: Discontent with a Vengeance

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I think this slow offseason might be good news for us next offseason if the trend continues. Teams seem unwilling to dole out big money AND term to older free agents like they used to, and even the very rich teams are avoiding the luxury tax like the plague.

Potentially, makes it more realistic for us to sign Donaldson to a reasonable number and term than in years past. Especially with other stars vying for huge contracts like Machado and Harper, and few teams with real big needs at 3B.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Zobrist cost KC Sean Manaea (1st round pick, #73 prospect in MLB, #3 for KC) and Aaron Brooks. Cespedes cost the Mets Michael Fulmer (1st round pick, #53 prospect in MLB) and Luis Cessa.

Donaldson is far superior to both players, and would therefore cost a higher premium. I would say upward trending, top-100 prospect, decent second piece, plus a further away third piece. (ex. Cardinals, Flaherty + Hicks + Carlson).

I agree to some extent, but that's market dependent. The right team (a playoff team) has to have the need, and the type of pieces we would want. Also if there's only one team in need (St. Louis), and they're not desperate, they may play hardball and not bid against themselves.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I think this slow offseason might be good news for us next offseason if the trend continues. Teams seem unwilling to dole out big money AND term to older free agents like they used to, and even the very rich teams are avoiding the luxury tax like the plague.

Potentially, makes it more realistic for us to sign Donaldson to a reasonable number and term than in years past. Especially with other stars vying for huge contracts like Machado and Harper, and few teams with real big needs at 3B.

You've got a good point, but damn, that's a lot of risk - and Shatkins don't like risk. Maybe we could pull off a similar type of maneuver to that of the Yankees with Chapman.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'd have to disagree here. Yes, Cespedes brought back a lot in a trade, but we have a more recent precedent of JD Martinez bringing back next to nothing at the TD.

It's just logical that a full season of Donaldson should be worth considerably more in a trade than a fraction of the season. In addition, the market for JD may simply shrink come the deadline if some of his potential suitors find themselves out of the race (granted, a contender may lose their 3B for the season and the market for him may actually expand, but this is less likely I think).

Forgot about that. Yeah, that was an underwhelming return, and the Cutch deal is looking similar until we hear more names.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
You've got a good point, but damn, that's a lot of risk - and Shatkins don't like risk. Maybe we could pull off a similar type of maneuver to that of the Yankees with Chapman.

Donaldson on a one-year deal in 2018 is a hell of a lot of risk.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The Pirates aren't even getting Chris Shaw, which means that despite trading their 2 stars, they won't get a top 100 prospects for either of them.

I wonder if this drops the price for Josh Harrison? We could probably get him for a prospect outside our top 10. Would be a great add.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
I wonder if this drops the price for Josh Harrison? We could probably get him for a prospect outside our top 10. Would be a great add.

We could, but it would only really work if we traded Pearce back. Otherwise we take 10 million dollars and will have trouble finding an outfielder.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think Reynolds is a top 100 guy anyway. It's something for Cutch, but obviously it's pretty bad because he was such a big time piece for them and was with the organization for over 10 years.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Surely Toronto can offer Cain more than Milwaukee. I get him signing in Texas, KC, or Chicago, but Milwaukee?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Even Texas is weird, they have a decent CF and they need SP more then a CF.

True. I can see him wanting to live in Dallas over Milwaukee or Toronto assuming the money and term are similar.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Personally, I really like Milwaukee going forward, so I can see him preferring to sign there over Texas or Toronto. But if he signs with Texas, he will get lots of action in CF, even if most of would be turning around and giving a courtesy look to the bombs that pitching staff will surely allow in that ballpark.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Personally, I really like Milwaukee going forward, so I can see him preferring to sign there over Texas or Toronto. But if he signs with Texas, he will get lots of action in CF, even if most of would be turning around and giving a courtesy look to the bombs that pitching staff will surely allow in that ballpark.
Milwaukee is a small market though. If I was a free agent I'd want to go somewhere that has a good farm system and is willing to have a large payroll. How much of payroll would Cain take up on the Brewers compared to the Jays, Rangers, etc? No way I'd want to take up 20-25% of payroll if I was hoping to win more titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia