Confirmed with Link: Winnipeg signs G Laurent Brossoit (1 year, 650k)

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Is there a chance that perhaps he’s reached out to Helle’s training team? And we’re seeing some early results?
His style last night reminded me so much of Hellebuyck. Big and boring.
I love being bored to death by a goaltender.

Actually I remember A Helly interview after Broissoit was signed that he was very happy with the signing because they had trained together the summer before and were good friends.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Actually I remember A Helly interview after Broissoit was signed that he was very happy with the signing because they had trained together the summer before and were good friends.

Yes sir re...

Helle was stoked and that is great for everyone involved...

Go :jets Go

Last edited:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Well there you go!! It shows. Definitely similarities and that has to be a very good thing!

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Anybody have any idea what a goalie coach gets paid in the NHL? And how that stacks up against a private trainer's salary? Could we make it worth Adam Francilla's (their summer coach) time to work exclusively for the Jets?

Every single goalie we've had has gotten worse simply by becoming a Jet, and the only thing that's changed that was Helle going out to get a 2nd opinion last summer. Feel free to disagree, but seems to me that our goalie coach may be the common denominator in our organization's trouble in net up until last season.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Anybody have any idea what a goalie coach gets paid in the NHL? And how that stacks up against a private trainer's salary? Could we make it worth Adam Francilla's (their summer coach) time to work exclusively for the Jets?

Every single goalie we've had has gotten worse simply by becoming a Jet, and the only thing that's changed that was Helle going out to get a 2nd opinion last summer. Feel free to disagree, but seems to me that our goalie coach may be the common denominator in our organization's trouble in net up until last season.

I used to think this but Helle has given praise to Wade Flaherty (especially this off season). I know that is expected as he will never say anything negative to the media but he goes out his way to mentioned him unsolicited on how he has helped his game. My theory is that he needed some independent supplemental training to get his game to the next level. Doesn't mean Flaherty is a bad coach but maybe he is only good in certain areas and the tandem of Flaherty and Francilla together is the successful formula for Helle.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I used to think this but Helle has given praise to Wade Flaherty (especially this off season). I know that is expected as he will never say any thing negative to the media but he goes out his way to mentioned him unsolicited on how he has helped his game. My theory is that he needed some independent supplemental training to get his game to the next level. Doesn't mean Flaherty is a bad coach but maybe he is only good in certain areas and the tandem of Flaherty and Francilla together is the successful formula for Helle.

I had heard on 1290 earlier this year that Flaherty also attended this goaltending camp that Hellebuyck goes to and it helped him a lot as a coach. I think the essence was he was still stuck in old types of goaltending styles and coaching methods and it has helped him quite a bit with working with Hellebuyck.

It's not like Pavelec, Montoya, Chris Mason etc left the Jets and set the NHL on fire so there is something to be said about their actual talent levels. I doubt Hutch is going to go anywhere past being a back up or full time AHLer. Flaherty really hasn't had all that much to work with until Hellebuyck came into his own. I think Comrie is just going to have a nice AHL career.

Not apologizing for Flaherty, but it's not like he turned incoming Vezina candidates into complete garbage. There was already enough garbage in their games and talent.

Hobbes69

Hutchinson got better after joining the Jets organization :popcorn:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

So, Flaherty is responsible for Mason's concussions? :huh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets just had a 24 year old 5th round pick from the Odessa Jackelopes named as a Vezina finalist. That suggests to me that either Flaherty is not as bad as some have suggested, or many are overestimating the role of the goalie coach.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I predict this Brossoit guy the Jet's picked up will be a future star Goalie in the NHL. I have such a good feeling about this guy -- " he looks great."

I think the Jets now have a solid backup to Helle --"good news for Jet's fans"

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

IIRC, there was something last year about Flaherty using similar methods to Francilla.

But, on a bit of a tangent, how many goalie coaches have the Oil gone through? Because they seem to ruin more goalies than the rest of the league combined. :laugh:

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets just had a 24 year old 5th round pick from the Odessa Jackelopes named as a Vezina finalist. That suggests to me that either Flaherty is not as bad as some have suggested, or many are overestimating the role of the goalie coach.

Or both.

Reactions: Ducky10

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I used to think this but Helle has given praise to Wade Flaherty (especially this off season). I know that is expected as he will never say anything negative to the media but he goes out his way to mentioned him unsolicited on how he has helped his game. My theory is that he needed some independent supplemental training to get his game to the next level. Doesn't mean Flaherty is a bad coach but maybe he is only good in certain areas and the tandem of Flaherty and Francilla together is the successful formula for Helle.
Heard one interview where Helly gave a ton of credit to Flats for helping him become the goalie he was last season. In that interview in singled out how Flats had worked with him to hold his glove hand higher and the difference that made to his game. At this point in time at least it seems like Helly, Brossoit and Flayerty are all on the same page. I've never felt as confident in our goalie situation as I do going into this season.

Reactions: GNP

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Heard one interview where Helly gave a ton of credit to Flats for helping him become the goalie he was last season. In that interview in singled out how Flats had worked with him to hold his glove hand higher and the difference that made to his game. At this point in time at least it seems like Helly, Brossoit and Flayerty are all on the same page. I've never felt as confident in our goalie situation as I do going into this season.

Well, he certainly did a 180 from his earlier position on that. He felt that holding the glove hand lower and out in front was better.
Unique Hand Position Helps Hellebuyck Cut Pucks Off - InGoal Magazine

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
So are we feeling confident with Laurent as back up after this preseason? I thought he looked great at times but I wouldn’t mind seeing a waiver claim on Pickard and send Brossoit through waivers to the Moose. Get some depth.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
So are we feeling confident with Laurent as back up after this preseason? I thought he looked great at times but I wouldn’t mind seeing a waiver claim on Pickard and send Brossoit through waivers to the Moose. Get some depth.
No I'm not confident in Brossoit. Here's hoping Chevy claims a decent goalie on waivers today. Heard the Leafs put two of theirs on waivers.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Too bad Leafs two goaltenders got picked up on waivers. Hope Hellebuyck stays healthy this year. We need good backup goaltending. I would have like to see one of them with the Jets
Then again
Remember this time last year when Mason was suppose to be the saviour and we were just hoping Hellebuyck would be adequate backup?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I think Brossoit is going to be great, and a nice surprise. He has all the tools - a very fast glove hand, quiet feet, and lot's of poise under pressure. He also is a good size and fills up a good part of the net.

I would never put this Brossoit guy on waivers-someone would claim him. I also think he played better than Helle in the preseason.

Reactions: Jet and KingBogo

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I think Brossoit is going to be great, and a nice surprise. He has all the tools - a very fast glove hand, quiet feet, and lot's of poise under pressure. He also is a good size and fills up a good part of the net.

I would never put this Brossoit guy on waivers-someone would claim him. I also think he played better than Helle in the preseason.

I like him too - and the number of games he plays might surprise all of us.
I must admit, I have no idea how he's going to look in reg season but I liked what I seen in the meaningless games.
I'm also a sucker for a goalie with a good glove.

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad