Confirmed with Link: Winnipeg signs G Laurent Brossoit (1 year, 650k)

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I was whining when we got him but changed my tune a little last night. Sure it was one game, but it was much better than I had originally hoped for. If he can keep that kind of play and composure as the back up, I’m very happy with this acquisition
Well the bright side is he’s not costing much.
I wasn’t thrilled either with his signing.
So if this is a harbinger of things to come then Chevy done good.
Hellebucyk will probably benefit from a slightly reduced work load.
Less clenching and more cilantro
Win win

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
After 5 minutes of watching Brossoit I was thinking how positionally sound he was. And calm in net.
After 5 minutes of watching Comrie or Bredin I was thinking the opposite.
I think it’s fair to say that a goalie is positionally sound or not and that it doesn’t change from game to game.
Brossoit has that. Our other two prospects don’t as much.
I’m very optimistic about this guy after just one game!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
After 5 minutes of watching Brossoit I was thinking how positionally sound he was. And calm in net.
I think it’s fair to say that a goalie is positionally sound or not and that it doesn’t change from game to game.

I certainly agree with the Turtle here. I felt the same thing watching this guy. He's a very cool customer in net, and doesn't panic, or flip around on his butt when the heat is on. He covers a lot of the net like Helle, and his style reminds me of Helle. Both are tall at about 6'3. I get the same secure feeling when Brossoit is in net, as I do with Helle -- not very worried. When Comrie is in net, I feel very jittery, like the goal light is about to go on behind him.

Also this Brossoit has a very quick glove hand, and great lateral movement. I hope this wasn't just "one great night', and hope he can do this consistently. If he can, the Jet's have just solved their backup Goaltender concerns. I think we'll all be watching, and hope he's the real deal. We'll need to see 20-25 games to know for sure ?? - but so far, he looks great !!!:)

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
yeah I have no dreams AT ALL of him being another Dubnyk, just for him to be a decent back up that can win you some games.

I don't compare his upside to Dubnyk's, on an absolute level. By gawd, not in the least.

But given how he has been a five-team discard, and how absolutely competent he looked in net tonight, I think the comparison *strictly to the percent degree of his amelioration* is a reasonable one. If he goes from 'trash heap' to 'league average backup for 1/4 - 1/3 regular season games', I don't think there's a poster alive who would call that a loss. Would you?

Reactions: Eyeseeing

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

I certainly agree with the Turtle here. I felt the same thing watching this guy. He's a very cool customer in net, and doesn't panic, or flip around on his butt when the heat is on. He covers a lot of the net like Helle, and his style reminds me of Helle. Both are tall at about 6'3. I get the same secure feeling when Brossoit is in net, as I do with Helle -- not very worried. When Comrie is in net, I feel very jittery, like the goal light is about to go on behind him.

Also this Brossoit has a very quick glove hand, and great lateral movement. I hope this wasn't just "one great night', and hope he can do this consistently. If he can, the Jet's have just solved their backup Goaltender concerns. I think we'll all be watching, and hope he's the real deal. We'll need to see 20-25 games to know for sure ?? - but so far, he looks great !!!:)

To both these posters' points; if you said that our backup next year would play the weakest 27 of 82 games, and put up a league average save percent (.913 or so?) against that cherry picked bottom third, I'd have been grateful that Bucky shaved 10-15 season games off his expected workload, and we were coming in hot as a premier team. Wouldn't you?

Reactions: Eyeseeing and GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't compare his upside to Dubnyk's, on an absolute level. By gawd, not in the least.

But given how he has been a five-team discard, and how absolutely competent he looked in net tonight, I think the comparison *strictly to the percent degree of his amelioration* is a reasonable one. If he goes from 'trash heap' to 'league average backup for 1/4 - 1/3 regular season games', I don't think there's a poster alive who would call that a loss. Would you?
I'm pretty sure he has only been part of 3 organizations, Flames, Oilers and Jets. He also might be one of those players that took a few years to find his NHL level game. Last night was very promising.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Are you saying in your post, that 5 teams released this guy Brossoit ?? If that's the case, do you know which 5 teams did so ?? Can you name the teams ?? I'd like to know just for my own knowledge, as this was the first time I've heard of him, or seen him play.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Are you saying in your post, that 5 teams released this guy Brossoit ?? If that's the case, do you know which 5 teams did so ?? Can you name the teams ?? I'd like to know just for my own knowledge, as this was the first time I've heard of him, or seen him play.
Here is a little background info on the Jets page.

Laurent Brossoit Stats and News

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm pretty sure he has only been part of 3 organizations, Flames, Oilers and Jets. He also might be one of those players that took a few years to find his NHL level game. Last night was very promising.

You probably just answered my question Bogo -- I think 3 teams including the Jets, seems more realistic. This other poster said 5 teams -- just cannot see 5 teams passing on a guy like this ?? Thanks for that.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Edmonton Oilers, Bakersfield Condors, Oklahoma City Barons, Edmonton Oil Kings, Abbotsford Heat, and I stopped counting after that.

Of course I didn't say "organizations", I said "teams". And of course, as the league-residing megalomaniac, I am going to cling to this razor-thin distinction in an effort to preserve my vanity so that I can, technically, state I was in the right all this time :P

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
... and of course, to the posters who correctly and rightly listed the (only) three *National Hockey League* teams he has been a part of, well, of course you're right :P but give an old fart his due here, would ya? <3

Reactions: Eyeseeing

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Edmonton Oilers, Bakersfield Condors, Oklahoma City Barons, Edmonton Oil Kings, Abbotsford Heat, and I stopped counting after that.

Of course I didn't say "organizations", I said "teams". And of course, as the league-residing megalomaniac, I am going to cling to this razor-thin distinction in an effort to preserve my vanity so that I can, technically, state I was in the right all this time :P
Saying the Bakersfield Condors gave up on him, is the same as saying the Manitoba Moose gave up on a player that gets called up to the Jets. The Edmonton Oil Kings are a WHL team that he got drafted playing for.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

So, let's put this in "perspective" and that is, he's only been with 3 NHL teams at the most --being the Edmonton Oilers, the Winnipeg Jets, and maybe Calgary Flames. So he hasn't cycled thru that many NHL teams at all. I don't think he was with Calgary, but I'll look it up.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

So, let's put this in "perspective" and that is, he's only been with 3 NHL teams at the most --being the Edmonton Oilers, the Winnipeg Jets, and maybe Calgary Flames. So he hasn't cycled thru that many NHL teams at all. I don't think he was with Calgary, but I'll look it up.
He was drafted by Calgary but included in a trade to Edmonton after only playing a couple games with their AHL team. He was mostly only part of the Oilers organization in any type of developmental sense.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
He was drafted by Calgary but included in a trade to Edmonton after only playing a couple games with their AHL team. He was mostly only part of the Oilers organization in any type of developmental sense.

I'm sure your right here Bogo, and if such is the case, we may have found ourselves a real diamond in the rough. This guy may turn out to be a real top notch Goaltender. I like the way he stands, and positions himself, plus he's fast. Looks like he hasn't really had much of a chance with other teams. Let's hope he really turns out great for us.

Honestly --I don't think he can be worse than Comrie -- I think he'll be much better, from what I've seen of him -- but time will tell.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm sure your right here Bogo, and if such is the case, we may have found ourselves a real diamond in the rough. This guy may turn out to be a real top notch Goaltender. I like the way he stands, and positions himself, plus he's fast. Looks like he hasn't really had much of a chance with other teams. Let's hope he really turns out great for us.

Honestly --I don't think he can be worse than Comrie -- I think he'll be much better, from what I've seen of him -- but time will tell.
This summer I spent some time looking into his background. So far he has had a very uneven career with periods of very impressive games. What gave me a lot of hope is that most Oilers posters seemed to think fairly high on him and put a lot more of the blame for poor numbers on their teams horrible defensive play especially late in games.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

I agree. The book on Broissoit has always been that he’s a slow mover, but you could have also said that about Helle two years ago. He looked very fluid and light on his feet last night.

Reactions: GNP and KingBogo

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This summer I spent some time looking into his background. So far he has had a very uneven career with periods of very impressive games. What gave me a lot of hope is that most Oilers posters seemed to think fairly high on him and put a lot more of the blame for poor numbers on their teams horrible defensive play especially late in games.

This is something like Helle -- the year before last season, I didn't think he'd make the team, or thought he'd be a backup -- at best. The Jet's felt the same way and aquired Mason, just in case -- but Helle came back the next year, and was "lights out."

As you say, he could have had very little help defensively in front of him in Edmonton, and you can only keep them out for so long, and eventually you lose a little confidence. It's my feeling that this guy has the the right characteristics of a great Goaltender. I think playing on a good defensive team, will also give him confidence. I think he'll work out. Thanks for your insight on him. I guess we'll all hope he develops into a great one.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Is there a chance that perhaps he’s reached out to Helle’s training team? And we’re seeing some early results?
His style last night reminded me so much of Hellebuyck. Big and boring.
I love being bored to death by a goaltender.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Playing for a team like last season's Oilers is a goalie's nightmare. Just ask Talbot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad