Confirmed with Link: Winnipeg signs G Laurent Brossoit (1 year, 650k)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I was thinking Arizona on the 20th. An afternoon game so Helly isn't taken out of his routine and nice spacing then to take Detroit on the 26th in the first half of a B2B.
That makes sense.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
[QUOTE="objectiveposter, post: 151026599, member: 116221
what a steal [ QUOTE]

I agree with the objective poster here-Brossoit was "definitely a steal" . That GM Peter Chiarelli of Edmonton sure is a nice guy -- letting guys like Taylor Hall, and Brossoit go, and all for the good of the game- "to provide parody to all NHL teams.":thumbu:

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
I know it's early, but Chevy added quite a big asset to this team due to his RFA status. Broissoit is looking exactly like Helle out there.

If Broissoit has a career year the phone will be ringing and Chevy might have to trade him because his value will be at a peak and likely too high to pass up. If he regress to the mean (which he should), Chevy has first crack to re-sign him as a very reliable back up.

This is looking like a very underrated, diamond in the rough-esque move, imo.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I know it's early, but Chevy added quite a big asset to this team due to his RFA status. Broissoit is looking exactly like Helle out there.

If Broissoit has a career year the phone will be ringing and Chevy might have to trade him because his value will be at a peak and likely too high to pass up. If he regress to the mean (which he should), Chevy has first crack to re-sign him as a very reliable back up.

This is looking like a very underrated, diamond in the rough-esque move, imo.
I'm guessing even if he becomes that goalie we can squeeze a year or 2 more out of him as a backup due to still being a RFA after the season and only getting the 20-25 games as a backup.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think the Jets should take a chance and sign him to a 5 year deal at $ 3.5 to 4 mil per year. If he plays really good, we can always dump Helle's contract, and save some money to sign the other guys we normally wouldn't be able to afford.

If Brossoit plays at around .930 or better, you have to consider doing that ? unless you can afford to keep them both --then do so.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I think the Jets should take a chance and sign him to a 5 year deal at $ 3.5 to 4 mil per year. If he plays really good, we can always dump Helle's contract, and save some money to sign the other guys we normally wouldn't be able to afford.

If Brossoit plays at around .930 or better, you have to consider doing that ? unless you can afford to keep them both --then do so.

2 games.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Well it's 2 games plus 1 or 2 in pre-season, that he's played great. The guy looks sharp, you have to admit. Right now his Save Percentage is .951 % - that's impressive, although only 2 games.

I just like the guy's stand up style, quiet body movement, and lighting fast glove hand. I think he's going to be a real "winner" for the Jets. Time will tell.

Welcome aborad Frenchy 2 :)

Last edited:

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

I love what Brossoit has done so far but it is way to early to do something like that. If he plays like this all season then his worth will be at a premium for a trade and the Jets may get a great return for a player that virtually cost them nothing. If the Jets keep him and he resigns for 1m - 1.5m the Jets have a great backup that can take over if Bucky gets hurt. Before any of this happens he still has to prove that he can do this all season long.

Right now though this looks like a great signing.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I love what Brossoit has done so far but it is way to early to do something like that. If he plays like this all season then his worth will be at a premium for a trade and the Jets may get a great return for a player that virtually cost them nothing. If the Jets keep him and he resigns for 1m - 1.5m the Jets have a great backup that can take over if Bucky gets hurt. Before any of this happens he still has to prove that he can do this all season long.

Right now though this looks like a great signing.

Good post Libertarian --if Brossoit keeps playing like this all year -- it would open up an option to trade him for a "major piece."--like a 2nd line center. or D-man.

When Seattle enters the league --in the expansion draft, we can only protect one Goalie, and I'd hate to lose him that way. Gotta be careful here.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

Good post Libertarian --if Brossoit keeps playing like this all year -- it would open up an option to trade him for a "major piece."--like a 2nd line center. or D-man.

When Seattle enters the league --in the expansion draft, we can only protect one Goalie, and I'd hate to lose him that way. Gotta be careful here.

The best part for this season is if Brossoit keeps playing like he has is the Jets will have the luxury of playing him 30+ games without hurting the teams chances to win and keep Bucky fresh for the playoff.

Reactions: GNP

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
If Brossoit can maintain a level of play anything close to this throughout the season, you really gotta wonder what on earth are they doing at the Oilers organization to make everyone regress. This was the one guy I figured when plucked from the oilers wouldn't show to be anything more than what he was for them but sure enough, he already has two good outings and he just looks solid in there.

To be fair, I know that the oilers defense was what it was last season but the whole organization just seems to have some systemic problems but this is not really the thread for it.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Brossoit is having a great start and it's encouraging but everybody needs to pump the breaks.

This is basically the same reaction we had to Hutch when he first joined and did well.

Reactions: DudeWhereIsMakar

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Brossoit is having a great start and it's encouraging but everybody needs to pump the breaks.

This is basically the same reaction we had to Hutch when he first joined and did well.
For sure, he's not going to sustain this play, some people are pumping him up pretty hard as the second coming of Helly. I'm a fan of his but even then I think he's a good serviceable backup that will play 20-22 games throughout the season, and give the team a chance when he's between the pipes. I like him but that's my thoughts.

Reactions: EpicGingy

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Now, this is just silly to start this type of speculation so early. :p

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Beyond the crazy in this post, it's not even possible under the CBA. Broissoit signed a 1 year deal. He cannot sign a new contract until after January 1, 2019. That's the earliest the Jets could extend him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad