Winnipeg Naming discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dungeonmaster

Sep 11, 2010
I think the best thing to do would be to keep the name as Winnipeg Thrashers for a year as to not add to the workload that TNSE would have to do before september. If they were to hold a fan contest to name the team this would work out very well for them indeed?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I like the Mounties name, it sounds like a great name that could have been in the WHA.

I think there are issues with using the name Mounties. I seem to recall that the former Vancouver NBA team wanted to call themselve the Mounties but legal issues prevented them from doing so. It may have had to do with the RCMP's granting of their marketing rights to Disney -- but I don't know if that deal is in effect anymore.

And besides, I'm not sure that the RCMP would want to be associated with the drunks and thugs (based on the number of DUI and domestic violence charges) that are hockey players. :sarcasm:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I think the best thing to do would be to keep the name as Winnipeg Thrashers for a year as to not add to the workload that TNSE would have to do before september. If they were to hold a fan contest to name the team this would work out very well for them indeed?

I'd be willing to bet that the name has already been chosen and the uniform has been designed. Probably something that would work no matter which team moved to Winnipeg. So, it's likely not Jets, Coyotes, or Thrashers.

kombayn

May 6, 2009
I have a feeling they're just going to call them the Winnipeg Thrashers. Maybe a name change in a couple seasons if it doesn't go over well with the fans. Just too many changes for product apparel etc.

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
With the time constraints on the 2011-12 season, they probably only have 2 options. Keep the Thrashers logo, colors and name for 1 season and make the change next summer, or go with the Manitoba Moose because they already have the artwork and marketing materials. However - while the AHL (Moose) uses RBK Jerseys, they certainly don't appear to the the same Edge-II or pattern that the NHL uses, so a new NHL compliant RBK Moose jersey might be required.

100% wrong. The AHL and NHL use the exact same Edge 2.0, made in the same factory in Quebec with the exact same materials. The only difference is the AHL jerseys carry the AHL logo and RBK logo at the rear tail, and the NHL jerseys have the shield at the front neck. Period. The replicas are made a bit differently, but the gamers are exact. The AHL went to the Edge at the same time as the NHL, and most teams switched from the 1.0 to 2.0 material during the 07-08 season. It could be changed in seconds.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
My list in order of preference;

1) Winnipeg Jets - Because of the fan following, it's a kick ass logo/uniform set, and the passion of "Jets" followers.

2) Manitoba Moose - I actually like the color scheme and the jerseys. Also an established brand.

3) Winnipeg Falcons - The established history of the Gold medal winning team.

zimmy61

Aug 17, 2009
100% wrong. The AHL and NHL use the exact same Edge 2.0, made in the same factory in Quebec with the exact same materials. The only difference is the AHL jerseys carry the AHL logo and RBK logo at the rear tail, and the NHL jerseys have the shield at the front neck. Period. The replicas are made a bit differently, but the gamers are exact. The AHL went to the Edge at the same time as the NHL, and most teams switched from the 1.0 to 2.0 material during the 07-08 season. It could be changed in seconds.

As you said, Edge 2.0 right there on the website.
http://store.moosehockey.com/browse.cfm/edge-pro-jersey-2.0/4,79.html

Last edited:

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
I think most people know how I feel about this subject, as I started a petition in support of reclaiming the name "Winnipeg Jets".

To all those people saying otherwise, the name (i.e. branding) is far from irrelevant. Winnipeg is fortunate enough to already have an established and well-loved brand, which is something no amount of money can buy. It makes no sense whatsoever to me to throw that away and not take advantage of it.

I personally plan on supporting the team, whatever the name may turn out to be, but there are many out there, judging by the comments on the petition, that either will not support a team not named the Jets or will support it less with another name. Scoff at that all you want, but I think we can all agree that an NHL team in Winnipeg cannot afford to get less than the maximum support possible if it is to survive long-term.

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA

I saw them play 6 times in person just this season, 4 in the last month, from a few feet away. By the start of the 08-09 season, just about all NHL and AHL teams switched to the 2.0. Perhaps only the Oilers stayed with the Edge 1.0. In any event, the Moose jerseys could easily be adapted to an NHL franchise within literally seconds at the factory.

Ripper

Sep 19, 2006
Cree

Winnipeg Royals
Winnipeg Mustangs
Winnipeg Regiment
Winnipeg Aces
Winnipeg Yeti
Winnipeg Armament
Winnipeg Cree
Winnipeg Riot
Winnipeg Infantry
Winnipeg Railers

Just a few from me..

I like the Cree, because if we go with Manitoba Cree then the Cree word Winnipeg means muddy waters....I think the situation is pretty muddy right now!

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
The Moose jerseys would look much better if they just simplified them like the Sharks current black jersey.
If they indeed keep the name, I'd like to see something like this with a nice shoulder patch.
Get away from those awful half elbow stripes meet vertical stripes they currently have.

moosen.jpg

OnionPuck

Mar 22, 2011
WPG
As much as I loved the Jets, I do feel a name change is in order. This is a new team with a new identity.

The more I hear it the more I am growing partial to the Falcon name. A falcon is an animal with a lot of character, and as a symbol it communicates both speed and strength. The historical reference to the Winnipeg Falcons is also something I am a big fan of.

One thing I don't believe anyone mentioning too is that by choosing a Falcon, as a species of bird, as our new logo is a nice tribute to the good, unfortunate, yet ever classy people of Atlanta. For those who are unaware, the Thrasher is the Georgia state bird. One bird to replace another? Seems somewhat appropriate.

Also, for those who want to see something interesting about the presence of Falcons in MB, check this out (I am a wildlife lover and I can't get enough of this feed):

http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/features/falcon/

[@ those from Atlanta: I'd like to just also go on the record as saying that even if Atlanta keeps the Thrash, I will still be happy for you guys. You have proved that you're a classy hockey community with a true passion for the sport. It's really a shame that there isn't more you can do to keep your team... I'm sure feelings of futility abound. Know that at least we as Winnipeggers feel your pain. I also saw one poster say that getting an NHL team back to Manitoba is about much more than just being able to watch top calibre hockey. It's about bringing pride back to a province that so many dismiss and denigrate, despite its many qualities. ]

HackandLube

Dec 7, 2005
Does the NHL own the Jets trademark even though the Coyotes owns the team records, etc.?

I believe Manitoba Jets was something that was thrown around by the ownership group at one time to bring more of a provincial fanbase.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
If the Falcons are chosen, Atlantans may cry foul until they learn of the Winnipeg Falcons from long ago. That was the first thing I thought of until reading through this thread and looking up the history.

atl thrasher344

Believe in Blueland
Nov 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If the Falcons are chosen, Atlantans may cry foul until they learn of the Winnipeg Falcons from long ago. That was the first thing I thought of until reading through this thread and looking up the history.

Why would anyone call foul? They could call them the Winnipeg Braves and it wouldn't matter to me, even if there was no history of the "Braves" name.

OnionPuck

Mar 22, 2011
WPG
If the Falcons are chosen, Atlantans may cry FOWL until they learn of the Winnipeg Falcons from long ago. That was the first thing I thought of until reading through this thread and looking up the history.

Fix'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad