Winnipeg Naming discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't understand the different mindsets about the Jets in contrast to the current NFL Browns. Cleveland seemed to accept that the new Browns were not the same so why can't we Winnipeggers do the same?

I also say scrape the Manitoba name. In the end, Winnipeg money is propping this team up. No offense to the maybe 100 per game that might come from Portage/Brandon but it is the truth.

You guys also need to read up on what a Moose is to backtrack on wanting this as your team name. lots of people in this thread have created way better names.

The Moose is a borrowed name anyway so fight so hard to keep a name that was never ours and has to true relevance to Winnipeggers and Manitobans?

Ogopogo*

Either call them the Winnipeg Jets or don't bother moving a team to Winnipeg.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
current moose jersey:
jsedgprojs%5E1.jpg

It's pretty nice if you ask me

I really dislike the solid teal band from the shoulder all the way down the arm. It makes the jersey look very minor league.

I think this jersey would look horrible in the NHL.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Anything but the Jets. That would have only been acceptible to me if the current Phoenix Coyotes moved back to Winnipeg.

Why should a team that has no connection with the old Winnipeg Jets (other than being based in the same city) lay claim to a legacy that is not theirs? I rather like Manitoba Moose as a team name but I would rather see a team name that has never been used by a Winnipeg or Manitoba team before (and ideally, not used by any major professional team). But given that the owners of the NHL team will be the current owners of the Moose, reusing that name on the NHL team is somewhat acceptible.

As for Manitoba vs. Winnipeg, is it possible that there is some kind of deal with the province? Didn't the province put up some of the money for the MTS centre? Is it possible that deal came with a catch? For example, maybe any professional team playing out of there must use Manitoba in its name. Just a thought

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
Fitting with the Canucks, Canadiens and Nordiques, call them the Manitoba Hosers. the jerseys could be plaid flannel.

In all seriousness though, I really like those brown Moose jerseys. Very simple, but sharp.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Those jerseys for the Moose are the old ones, and the lighting makes it pretty bad. The team wears forest green right now. I think that the Wild would have more of a problem with it than the Sharks. The colour thing is a little silly though. How many teams wear blue, or red?

Thrashers - Powder Blue, Dark Blue, Maroon
Flames - Red
Hurricanes - Red
Blackhawks - Red
Blue Jackets - Dark Blue, Red
Red Wings - Red
Oilers - Dark Blue
Canadiens - Blue, Red
Predators - Blue
Devils - Red
Rangers - Blue, Red
Islanders - Blue
Senators - Red
Coyotes - Maroon
Blues - Blue
Lightning - Blue
Maple Leafs - Blue
Vancouver - Blue
Capitals - Blue, Red
Leafs - Blue

Yeah, let's NOT go back to the Jet's colors, eh? ;)

The Dark Green and Copper of the Moose jerseys would be great IMO.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I don't understand the different mindsets about the Jets in contrast to the current NFL Browns. Cleveland seemed to accept that the new Browns were not the same so why can't we Winnipeggers do the same?

I also say scrape the Manitoba name. In the end, Winnipeg money is propping this team up. No offense to the maybe 100 per game that might come from Portage/Brandon but it is the truth.

You guys also need to read up on what a Moose is to backtrack on wanting this as your team name. lots of people in this thread have created way better names.

The Moose is a borrowed name anyway so fight so hard to keep a name that was never ours and has to true relevance to Winnipeggers and Manitobans?

I hate the Cleveland Browns thing. That team is not the Cleveland Browns. Just like the current Ottawa Senators are not the real Ottawa Senators and the current Montreal Alouettes are not the real Alouettes. They are just cashing in on legacies that are not theirs.

For example, I was a big Montreal Expos fan (and loved the Expos name) and I would love for Montreal to have a major league baseball team again; but the last thing I would want to see is for that team to be called the Expos. The only exception would be if the current Washington Nationals moved back to Montreal.

atl thrasher344

Believe in Blueland
Nov 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I really dislike the solid teal band from the shoulder all the way down the arm. It makes the jersey look very minor league.

I agree. If it didn't have that stripe, then it would look kind of like the Capitals black ones from a few years ago, which would be much better than those IMO, but still not great.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

I also agree. That jersey, even without that band on the arm is still terrible. I don't even like that logo for an NHL team.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008

It's not teal. It's a dark green. That photo isn't doing their jerseys justice.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I hate the Cleveland Browns thing. That team is not the Cleveland Browns. Just like the current Ottawa Senators are not the real Ottawa Senators and the current Montreal Alouettes are not the real Alouettes. They are just cashing in on legacies that are not theirs.

For example, I was a big Montreal Expos fan (and loved the Expos name) and I would love for Montreal to have a major league baseball team again; but the last thing I would want to see is for that team to be called the Expos. The only exception would be if the current Washington Nationals moved back to Montreal.

I understand your mindset but all in honesty, would you agree that your mindset of thinking like that is in the minority? I think for most people wanting the Jets back, they would not care about that problem if it meant getting the Jets name back.

I also don't agree with that mindset because the new city frankly probably has no care for that prior history anyway. Are the Coyotes hanging any WHA banners?

Prattalot

Jan 11, 2009
Winnipeg
Anything but the Jets. That would have only been acceptable to me if the current Phoenix Coyotes moved back to Winnipeg.

Agreed. Go with Falcons, Rebels, Moose etc but not the Jets...they're in Glendale.

Are the Coyotes hanging any WHA banners?
sort of.
During their history, the Jets retired two numbers: Bobby Hull's #9 and Thomas Steen's #25. Both numbers hang in Jobing.com Arena with the Phoenix Coyotes franchise in the Jets' old blue-red-white colour scheme. Dale Hawerchuk's #10 was added in 2006, in the Coyotes' current sand-red-black scheme. Another tradition that was retained when the franchise moved to Phoenix was the "white-out", in which fans wore all white to home playoff games. The franchise has yet to win a playoff series while in Phoenix.
wikipedia

Last edited:

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Manitoba Mosquito's!

Named for Manitoba's provincial bird and the WW2 aircraft.

or

Manitoba Mineral Miners or just Manitoba Miners.
Manitoba Frostbite.
Manitoba Tundra.
Winnipeg Windchill.

Last edited:

zimmy61

Aug 17, 2009

Every 15 years or so, no team is really its former self once the roster/coaches completely turnover. The idea of a team maintaining continuity is only really an illusion. Why would the Nationals, who if they returned having no player/management link to the past, be worthy of being called the Expos in your return scenario but a new expansion team not?

In my opinion (clearly the minority here) the only real link that is continuous is that between a given city and the team name that is commonly identified with it regardless of how many times it might leave or return. The idea that the Coyotes coming back are anymore "legitimate Jets" than the Thrashers seems a bit absurd considering the time that's passed and the players/staff that have changed.

Rhino204

Jun 30, 2010
Winnipeg
if not the jets then i could get on board with Falcons.

How about Manitoba Missiles? Missiles has that affiliation with the aerospace industry plus there used to be a rocket launch site up in churchill in 50s or 60s?.. Also believe that Manitoba used to have missile silos in southern Manitoba

Noeller

Dec 13, 2007
Oil Country
re: Wolverines -- there's a few people on this board (myself included) who played for the Whiteshell Wolverines in SouthEastern Manitoba :) Was a cool name, for sure.

Bottom line is that anyone who is seriously caught up in what the Manitoba-based NHL team is called, isn't really a hockey fan, and is emotionally invested in the wrong things. The only thing that really matters in all this, is taking a team out of a market that is wrong on a lot of levels, and putting it in a market which will thrive and deserves a second chance at supporting NHL hockey.

This is about the betterment of the NHL, period.

They could call it the Manitoba Manitobans and I'd be all for it, as long as we have NHL hockey in the right markets.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
It's not teal. It's a dark green. That photo isn't doing their jerseys justice.

I've seen the jerseys, I have season tickets for the moose. If you don't want to call it teal that's fine, but it's also not a very dark green.

Either way they are very ugly jerseys.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
if not the jets then i could get on board with Falcons.

How about Manitoba Missiles? Missiles has that affiliation with the aerospace industry plus there used to be a rocket launch site up in churchill in 50s or 60s?.. Also believe that Manitoba used to have missile silos in southern Manitoba

Missiles would be cool. Lots of color and jersey combination's there.

Rhino204

Jun 30, 2010
Winnipeg
re: Wolverines -- there's a few people on this board (myself included) who played for the Whiteshell Wolverines in SouthEastern Manitoba :) Was a cool name, for sure.

Bottom line is that anyone who is seriously caught up in what the Manitoba-based NHL team is called, isn't really a hockey fan, and is emotionally invested in the wrong things. The only thing that really matters in all this, is taking a team out of a market that is wrong on a lot of levels, and putting it in a market which will thrive and deserves a second chance at supporting NHL hockey.

This is about the betterment of the NHL, period.

They could call it the Manitoba Manitobans and I'd be all for it, as long as we have NHL hockey in the right markets.

i respectfully disagree. It is because I am such a die hard hockey fan that i am caught up in the name. The Jets isnt just a name for me, it is a part of my life and history. I grew up with seasons and am very partial to the name/identity/pride of being a jets fan. To simply stereotype people as "not really a fan of hockey" who care about the name is irresponsible IMO.

Kodiak64

Dec 16, 2010
Edmonton
Winnipeg Roughriders! ......:sarcasm:

Really though, it should be the jets. Why you would fail to take advantage of an already established brand is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad