Winnipeg Riot
Winnipeg Infantry
Winnipeg Railers

Just a few from me..

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I don't understand the different mindsets about the Jets in contrast to the current NFL Browns. Cleveland seemed to accept that the new Browns were not the same so why can't we Winnipeggers do the same?

I also say scrape the Manitoba name. In the end, Winnipeg money is propping this team up. No offense to the maybe 100 per game that might come from Portage/Brandon but it is the truth.

You guys also need to read up on what a Moose is to backtrack on wanting this as your team name. lots of people in this thread have created way better names.

The Moose is a borrowed name anyway so fight so hard to keep a name that was never ours and has to true relevance to Winnipeggers and Manitobans?

Im almost 100% sure when the old Cleveland Browns left, all remnants of the team, records, stats, history, etc was left with the city of Cleveland, and when they became the Ravens, they were not affiliated with the Cleveland Browns history whatsoever. Almost like a Browns folding/Ravens new team sort of thing although they technically moved. So it was like the Browns was a dormant franchise waiting to resume.

When the Browns returned, they resumed all history and all previous stats by the NFL.

Steve Passless*

If the NHL indeed owns the rights to all things Jets, then they wouldn't have to buy them from the Coyotes, who themselves are just owned by the NHL anyway, so...

SoCalShark

Apr 1, 2007
The OC
Agreed. Go with Falcons, Rebels, Moose etc but not the Jets...they're in Glendale.

sort of.
wikipedia

Yeah, because the Coyotes hold on to the lineage of the Jets, then really the next team couldn't use the name unless it was the Coyotes coming "home". The Moose jersey/crest doesn't look bad since when you compare it to the Thrashers jersey, it is fine.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
TNSE should buy the rights back from the Coyotes..for a few million bucks and a promise that they will vote against relocating the Coyotes in any future BOG votes.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
So if the NHL owns the Jets rights, that means they "own" the history? Does the NHL even recognize owning histories? I'm really finding it amusing this whole idea of owning the rights to a team's history so if anyone could educate me...

Ripper

Sep 19, 2006
ok lets settle

I guess we could satisfy both parties and call the team
The Winnipeg Manitobans

Ripper

Sep 19, 2006
the nickname should be viable for cheering and mascots

Go Falcons Go -a real Falcon-man in a suit
Go Moose Go - the Moose
Go Skeeters Go - the mosquitto or WW11 bomber- sails across on a string
Go Tobans Go - Real Manitobans--here we go Peg, here we Go
Go Jets Go- nothing really compares does it?- Show video of Hull scoring a goal; on big screen where we would have normally hung the portrait of the Queen...now show the Hull

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
I sincerely hope that it is not the "Moose".

Moose are known for (1) being ugly, (2) getting shot, (3) getting eaten, and (4) getting run over by cars.

Not exactly the best images to think of when your team skates on the ice.

I'd like to see you try and run a moose over with your car. Those things are heavier than cars and cause more deaths annually than homicide in Newfoundland. Transport trucks have moose guards/grills in order to reduce damage and/or death of driver. These aren't deer which get flicked away on impact with a Ford Focus.

Anyway, Jets is the prime choice I think. It has history and resonates with the local population. Moose just comes off as minor league and cartoonish, maybe because their logo now looks kind of silly to me.

I could see Falcons working due to the history of the name or maybe tie it in with the French ancestry of the region with something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad