Winnipeg Naming discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Same thing, though. Why is it such a big deal? If the team moves to Winnipeg, then it's Winnipeg's team and they can call it whatever they want.

They can call it whatever they want. I wasn't trying to be funny about a situation no one as a fan wants to see. It may be a point of contention for many Thrasher Falcon fans, as it would be painfully ironic.

darksociety

Apr 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Winnipeg Thrashers sounds tight; far better than Manitoba Moose, imo. I've supported the team by going to games, but I've yet to shell out money for gear emblazoned with a cartoon animal that northwestern Ontario and Newfoundland lay much better claim to.

I'm definitely a fan of a non-animal, historical, martial, or geographical names: voyageurs, rebels, shield, strikers, socials, true north, glaciers, hudsons, dragoons, etc.

Thinking of names, the perfect soccer name would be Red River Rebellion FC (or just Rebellion FC).

Pepin le bref

Dec 27, 2009
NDG/CDN Montréal
Winnipeg Snipers / Would have to be careful with the logo.

Winnipeg Hunters

Winnipeg Tazers

Winnpeg Bombers / Les Bombardiers de Winnipeg...something around bombs and stuff exploding.

Winnipeg Challengers

Manitoba Wolfpack

Manitoba Pionneers

Someone mentionned earlier the Manitoba Mammoth's and the Winnipeg Kodiaks. I like

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
surprisingly in before...

minmoo95.gif

the moose has been a good luck charm for a city before...

Last edited:

Cornwall OHL

That's my O face.
Jun 18, 2010
South Glengarry
I think there are issues with using the name Mounties. I seem to recall that the former Vancouver NBA team wanted to call themselve the Mounties but legal issues prevented them from doing so. It may have had to do with the RCMP's granting of their marketing rights to Disney -- but I don't know if that deal is in effect anymore.

And besides, I'm not sure that the RCMP would want to be associated with the drunks and thugs (based on the number of DUI and domestic violence charges) that are hockey players. :sarcasm:
You are right sir. This website says that it was because the RCMP said no to the Mounties: Vancouver Grizzlies.

I have a feeling they're just going to call them the Winnipeg Thrashers. Maybe a name change in a couple seasons if it doesn't go over well with the fans. Just too many changes for product apparel etc.
I don't think they would take the moniker Thrashers for just a couple years. They need a good name which they can use to sell a ton of merchandise. If people know they aren't going to keep the name, they won't buy jerseys, hats, or boxers with that name on it.

Has Winnipeg Balkans been suggested yet? ;)

Lol

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I would pay an extra $10 per ticket if it meant they were called the Jets. I still don't see why they are using the Manitoba name when most Manitobans wont even be within a reasonable distance of the city. Teams have to stop falling for this state naming, does it really convince anyone that this is their team?

KingJet*

I'm down for Thrashers, When Atlanta Flames moved to Calgary they kept it, Winnipeg Thrashers has a good ring to it as well.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I agree, I think they are sharp. I've been told by someone who calls on the Moose that it won't be the Jets and will be the Moose. I'm not thrilled but I don't hate it. I'm really shocked at the amount of people against the Moose name. I knew there might be a bit but it seems like the majority of people don't like it. I sure hope True North is paying attention.

My preference is Winnipeg Jets, Winnipeg Ice with a polar bear logo or Winnipeg Falcons.

I can't stand the name Lakers or Warriors or any of the other stuff. I've heard Manitoba Blizzard but I still think the city should be part of the name.

Tried to read through the whole thread but I just had to comment here....

This Manitoba nonsense has got to STOP!

No offense to Brandon, Gimli, or Thompson but those places aren't gonna make NHL hockey successful in W-I-N-N-I-P-E-G. Yes, it is Winnipeg that we are trying to sell as a WORLD CLASS CITY.

Also, do you really think Gary Bettman wants to sell Manitoba to fans in Chicago or Boston? Like seriously, Manitoba?? Yes folks, a good 20-plus games will be played in American cities on the road. Where Winnipeg has a bit of name recognition, I can guarantee Manitoba doesn't!!

In fact, our very first rivalry would be Phoenix, but ask a Coyotes fan where Manitoba is and you will get a blank stare. But Winnipeg? Every hockey fan in Phoenix now knows Winnipeg.

Sorry, but TNSE and the NHL are NOT THAT DUMB to call an NHL team Manitoba anything....it will be Winnipeg or bust!!!

dobiezeke*

Tried to read through the whole thread but I just had to comment here....

This Manitoba nonsense has got to STOP!

No offense to Brandon, Gimli, or Thompson but those places aren't gonna make NHL hockey successful in W-I-N-N-I-P-E-G. Yes, it is Winnipeg that we are trying to sell as a WORLD CLASS CITY.

Also, do you really think Gary Bettman wants to sell Manitoba to fans in Chicago or Boston? Like seriously, Manitoba?? Yes folks, a good 20-plus games will be played in American cities on the road. Where Winnipeg has a bit of name recognition, I can guarantee Manitoba doesn't!!

In fact, our very first rivalry would be Phoenix, but ask a Coyotes fan where Manitoba is and you will get a blank stare. But Winnipeg? Every hockey fan in Phoenix now knows Winnipeg.

Sorry, but TNSE and the NHL are NOT THAT DUMB to call an NHL team Manitoba anything....it will be Winnipeg or bust!!!

Be prepared for many nights of crying into your pillow...don't worry - there are several who will take your seats to watch "the Manitoba" team.

Not sure why so many are whining about the name of the team - clearly you were never around during the Jets era, and therefore would just be happy if a team showed up on the doorstep in the next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad