Winnipeg Jets Prospects #21-25 (leftovers)

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Guy who never plays in the NHL > Guy that does play in the NHL but is worse than replacement level, and stinks up the joint for long enough to cost you goals and ultimately wins

That's the point, and why Tanev realistically doesn't belong in the top 20.

EDIT: I absolutely get your rationale, namely that there won't be 20+ prospects on this list that play more NHL games than Tanev. It's just that Tanev is a pretty special case in terms of actually hurting your fortunes.

Additionally if the player only plays to the level value of any number of guys available in fa for contract minimum/etc he has technically added no value.

If it's safe to assume tanev is at best that quality of player, even though many of our prospects won't even get that high, the potential that they could makes them more valuable.

Essentially: a mystery box is worth more then a rock. A mystery box may have nothing in it, but a rock is not a difficult or valuable resource.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Additionally if the player only plays to the level value of any number of guys available in fa for contract minimum/etc he has technically added no value.

If it's safe to assume tanev is at best that quality of player, even though many of our prospects won't even get that high, the potential that they could makes them more valuable.

Essentially: a mystery box is worth more then a rock. A mystery box may have nothing in it, but a rock is not a difficult or valuable resource.

My point is that several of the 22-23 prospects ranked ahead of Tanev will turn out to be rocks, or worse.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My point is that several of the 22-23 prospects ranked ahead of Tanev will turn out to be rocks, or worse.

And the counterpoint is that we don't know yet which ones will be the rocks. Tanev is known to be a rock. A very fast skating rock. :laugh:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
And the counterpoint is that we don't know yet which ones will be the rocks. Tanev is known to be a rock. A very fast skating rock. :laugh:

Precisely, therefore each still maintains some general sense of probable "higher then rock" potential.

Until we know for sure they are rock or worse, there's potential for them to be better

Also, worse then rock has the same value as being a rock, as was my point. Tanevs a good example of why a draft pick being worse then him doesn't mean lower value. Why? Because tanev wasn't a draft pick, but a "free" acquisition with no opportunity cost beyond a contract slot. Ie a rock.

...a fast rock :P

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

In some ways this is like the reverse mystery box.

Instead of mystery box or boat, it's mystery box or rock.

Sure, the mystery box could be anything. It could be a rock. It could even be worse than a rock. It could also be better.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Wanted to bump last year's leftover thread for reference purposes.

I wish hfboards had not switched software. I am unsure what the results were. However, I will run the poll again. Same drill as last time. Line up all the leftover prospect, and choose 5 of them.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Matt Ustaski will help the team more than Tanev ever will.
I mean, we are all wrong at times, but it made my day to see you write an insightful, in-depth post in which you praised Tanev and his linemates and then see this.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I mean, we are all wrong at times, but it made my day to see you write an insightful, in-depth post in which you praised Tanev and his linemates and then see this.

Man was he garbage in 16-17. One of the most confusing storylines.

Reactions: Maukkis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad