Winnipeg Jets Prospects #21-25 (leftovers)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Cederholm
Kraskovsky
McKenzie
Stallard
Glover

Were my picks. At this point in the rankings I'm putting a fair amount of weight on players who are under 21 and still play in a pro-league (despite not setting it on fire ala Cederholm).

I would have ranked Kraskovsky much higher if there weren't doubts about him coming to NA

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What is the deal with Glover? He barely played any games last year in College.

Glover has had one hell of a time adjusting college game. Has battled a few nagging injuries I think, but mostly has been a healthy scratch (albeit on some deep teams, but still). For a guy who was arguably a #1 on a USNDTP U18 squad it is pretty shocking. That team was a bit defense by committee to be fair though. It looks like only Jack Dougherty has a chance at an NHL career (other than underagers like Hanifin and Werenski) from that squad. That's a real rarity with the talent the USNDTP has produced over the recent years.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
how would someone like Stallard/cederhold rank within other middling depth teams pools? 15th or so. trying to guage the depth the jets have.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Likely to improve? Late bloomer? These are guesses, not given.

Rookies usually improve. It's a fact that he was a late bloomer. It's a guess that he won't improve, with less evidence, in my opinion.

I'm still not high on him and doubt he has much role with the Jets, but I think he'll improve as most rookies do.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
It's ironic, in my opinion, to see Brandon Tanev currently ranked by voting at #24, yet he has played in the show.

It doesn't seem realistic to me to think that even half of the players we've voted as "better" will ever play an NHL game.

I imagine we all hope for upside. I know I do, but if the poll criteria was "most likely to ever play in an NHL game", an honest assessment by us would have to change.

In the light of looking at past years' rankings, you'd have to be a bit more realistic about how many of our prospects could ever exceed Tanev's accomplishment. A few at the top are sure-fire, a few will flame out altogether, and a few unexpected players will rise to become pros. It's interesting to see over time.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
It's ironic, in my opinion, to see Brandon Tanev currently ranked by voting at #24, yet he has played in the show.

It doesn't seem realistic to me to think that even half of the players we've voted as "better" will ever play an NHL game.

I imagine we all hope for upside. I know I do, but if the poll criteria was "most likely to ever play in an NHL game", an honest assessment by us would have to change.

In the light of looking at past years' rankings, you'd have to be a bit more realistic about how many of our prospects could ever exceed Tanev's accomplishment. A few at the top are sure-fire, a few will flame out altogether, and a few unexpected players will rise to become pros. It's interesting to see over time.

The problem is Tanev is a plug, and not that good. In fact, I would honestly rather see Lipon than Tanev. I thought Lipon would get a call up last season. I saw him at the Saddledome in 2016, and I was impressed with his tenacity.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
The problem is Tanev is a plug, and not that good. In fact, I would honestly rather see Lipon than Tanev. I thought Lipon would get a call up last season. I saw him at the Saddledome in 2016, and I was impressed with his tenacity.

Brenden Tanev is James Wright with an edge.
JC Lipon is Brenden Tanev with a stick.
Let's go with Lipon!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Brenden Tanev is James Wright with an edge.
JC Lipon is Brenden Tanev with a stick.
Let's go with Lipon!

Lipon is several tiers below Tanev in terms of speed. Speed and aggressiveness on the puck are Tanev's biggest assets. He hasn't shown that he knows what to do when he gets the puck. If Lipon had Tanev's speed, he would be a much better prospect.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lipon is several tiers below Tanev in terms of speed. Speed and aggressiveness on the puck are Tanev's biggest assets. He hasn't shown that he knows what to do when he gets the puck. If Lipon had Tanev's speed, he would be a much better prospect.

:laugh: With his other assets, if he had Tanev's speed he would already be a regular in the NHL, at least on the 4th line.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Rookies usually improve. It's a fact that he was a late bloomer. It's a guess that he won't improve, with less evidence, in my opinion.

I'm still not high on him and doubt he has much role with the Jets, but I think he'll improve as most rookies do.

Rookies usually improve due to experience or because of age and that most rookies are young?

The latter seems to be far more of the driver than the former...

Now to actually scroll back to see what we're talking about haha.

EDIT: Brandon Tanev? I'd be skeptical to see any significant improvement making him a different player. There could be marginal improvements but I doubt much else. The guy doesn't have enough upstairs and already is about as good as he can get tool wise IMO to really improve.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Some rookies improve. Many rookies get a taste of the show, play poorly and wash out of the NHL. Most rookies aren't 24.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Rookies usually improve due to experience or because of age and that most rookies are young?

The latter seems to be far more of the driver than the former...

Now to actually scroll back to see what we're talking about haha.

EDIT: Brandon Tanev? I'd be skeptical to see any significant improvement making him a different player. There could be marginal improvements but I doubt much else. The guy doesn't have enough upstairs and already is about as good as he can get tool wise IMO to really improve.

You might be right, but his trajectory wasn't typical for a 24 year old. I'm not high on him, and he's probably mostly an AHLer with the occasional NHL stint, but do the Jets really have 22 or 23 NHLers in their prospect pool? I doubt it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
You might be right, but his trajectory wasn't typical for a 24 year old. I'm not high on him, and he's probably mostly an AHLer with the occasional NHL stint, but do the Jets really have 22 or 23 NHLers in their prospect pool? I doubt it.

I don't think the bolded is really relevant. Tanev was well below replacement level last year. I'm going to go ahead and suggest they could put most anyone on the ice and yield similar results with better as a real possibility.

EDIT

It really isn't hard to find players who can make your team worse.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think the bolded is really relevant. Tanev was well below replacement level last year. I'm going to go ahead and suggest they could put most anyone on the ice and yield similar results with better as a real possibility.

EDIT

It really isn't hard to find players who can make your team worse.

My point isn't that Tanev is going to be more than a fringe NHLer, but that I doubt that the Jets have 22 or more other fringe NHLers in their prospect pool, hence my view that he might be a bit low on this list.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
And if Tanev had Lipon's puck skills he would have a decent role on this team going forward.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Prospect Pool (included Dano and Petan since 22 and under, and yet to play full season):

Forwards:

1. Petan (NHL)
2. Dano (NHL)
3. Connor (NHL)
4. Roslovic (will make NHL lineup)
5. De Leo (will receive call-ups)
6. Vesalainen (too early)
7. Lemieux (possible NHL call-up)
8. Lipon (possible NHL call-up)
9. Spacek (too early)
10. Harkins (too early)
11. Virtanen (too early)
12. Foley (too early)

Defense:

1. Niku (will receive call-ups)
2. Stanley (too early)
3. Green (too early)
4. Samberg (too early)
5. Nogier (possible NHL call-ups)
6. Gawanke (too early)

Goal:

1. Comrie (possible NHL call-ups)
2. Berdin (too early)

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
My point isn't that Tanev is going to be more than a fringe NHLer, but that I doubt that the Jets have 22 or more other fringe NHLers in their prospect pool, hence my view that he might be a bit low on this list.

Guy who never plays in the NHL > Guy that does play in the NHL but is worse than replacement level, and stinks up the joint for long enough to cost you goals and ultimately wins

That's the point, and why Tanev realistically doesn't belong in the top 20.

EDIT: I absolutely get your rationale, namely that there won't be 20+ prospects on this list that play more NHL games than Tanev. It's just that Tanev is a pretty special case in terms of actually hurting your fortunes.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Prospect Pool (included Dano and Petan since 22 and under, and yet to play full season):

Forwards:

1. Petan (NHL)
2. Dano (NHL)
3. Connor (NHL)
4. Roslovic (will make NHL lineup)
5. De Leo (will receive call-ups)
6. Vesalainen (too early)
7. Lemieux (possible NHL call-up)
8. Lipon (possible NHL call-up)
9. Spacek (too early)
10. Harkins (too early)
11. Virtanen (too early)
12. Foley (too early)

Defense:

1. Niku (will receive call-ups)
2. Stanley (too early)
3. Green (too early)
4. Samberg (too early)
5. Nogier (possible NHL call-ups)
6. Gawanke (too early)

Goal:

1. Comrie (possible NHL call-ups)
2. Berdin (too early)

I don't include Dano or Petan.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Guy who never plays in the NHL > Guy that does play in the NHL but is worse than replacement level, and stinks up the joint for long enough to cost you goals and ultimately wins

That's the point, and why Tanev realistically doesn't belong in the top 20.

How did De Leo look to you in his stint (hint: 40% CF%).

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
How did De Leo look to you in his stint (hint: 40% CF%).

2 games vs. 50+ games is the difference.

I'm also reasonably confident that De Leo wouldn't be anywhere near as detrimental as Tanev if given a similar NHL opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad